• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TK-880 Questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

QHaba

Premium Subscriber
So, I just got this Kenwood TK-880-1 Ver 2.0 UHF radio, Link to the radio, and I wanted to ask a few questions..

I have a TK-940, and a 840, and they don't transmit, program, or receive. I was wondering if this unit will be the same due to it's age?

Is there a function to field program it using the buttons?

Will I be able to get on the frequency of 457.6625 with a PL tone of D043N, and another channel on the same frequency with a PL tone of D023N, by field programming it?

Will this radio work on 13.8 volts and function properly?

Do I need the power cord, and not just the cord on the radio, or can I just use the radio's cord without the power cord?

And last but not least, could I take a random frequency (for example, 462.7725), and use that in the state of Minnesota, legally? I have a Kenwood TK-3200L, and I want to be able to have my "own" frequency that I can use without a license. Or else could I use some uniden/cobra toy walkie talkies and use those frequencies legally?

Let me know.

Thanks! Ben

cmdrwill

Will I be able to get on the frequency of 457.6625 with a PL tone of D043N, and another channel on the same frequency with a PL tone of D023N, by field programming it?

No on first question. Probably no on the second question..

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
You need the KPG-49D software and KPG-36 cable to program the radio. That is the only way they program those radios.

As for your random channel, if you don't have a license, then you can't use it legally. Using the 462/467 frequencies from those toy FRS/GMRS radios is also not legal unless you have a GMRS license.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
So, I just got this Kenwood TK-880-1 Ver 2.0 UHF radio, Link to the radio, and I wanted to ask a few questions..

I have a TK-940, and a 840, and they don't transmit, program, or receive. I was wondering if this unit will be the same due to it's age?

Do I need the power cord, and not just the cord on the radio, or can I just use the radio's cord without the power cord?

And last but not least, could I take a random frequency (for example, 462.7725), and use that in the state of Minnesota, legally? I have a Kenwood TK-3200L, and I want to be able to have my "own" frequency that I can use without a license. Or else could I use some uniden/cobra toy walkie talkies and use those frequencies legally?

Let me know.

Thanks! Ben

Are you still trying to talk to your school?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Why don't they transmit? Age shouldn't necessarily be an issue.

Yes, there are ways to do it. However, it requires the programming software to set it up, put in the alpha/numeric names, as well as set up the rest of the radio functions. The Front Panel Programming only lets you change some very basic settings.

If you use the software. You can do it with the front panel programming, but it takes some work and the software to set it up. Don't rely on the front panel programming, get the software and cable, it makes life a lot easier.

Yes, but you need to have a power supply that will provide enough current to make it work. For receive only you'll need about 2 amps. If you want to transmit, you'll need at least 10 amps.

You -could- cut off the connector on the end and attach another type of connector to fit your needs. Just remember you need to have fuses installed.

No.

There are no "license free" frequencies that those radios will work on. They do no qualify under FRS rules, so you cannot legally use it there.
If you have a valid FCC issued GMRS, amateur radio, or Part 90 license, you can use the radios under those licenses on their appropriate frequencies only.

Transmitting without a license of your own would be in violation of the FCC rules. There are no exceptions to that.

QHaba

Premium Subscriber
Okay. Thanks. I have another problem though, my Kenwood TK-3200l is programmed to my school, and I programmed the radio to it, and it just buzzes when I transmit on the mobile. I can hear the 3200 perfectly through the mobile, though.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you're trying to get a radio to operate on frequencies for which you do not have authorization. I doubt anyone here is going to assist you with such. Before trying to program radios, etc., you need to have a basic understanding of how radios works, FCC regulations, etc. They aren't toys...unless you just buy them in the bubble pack at Walmart. Sounds like that's what you should do...

QHaba

Premium Subscriber
The frequency I have my radios programmed to I have permission to be on the license, from the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.