• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TKR-820 Repeater not transmitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTSECURITY

So, I have a Kenwood TKR-820 repeater that operates in the 470-512mhz range.

I recently got the FCC license for using this in my area. I went through a coordinating service.

So I programmed the repeater to the frequencies I need and through the help of another discussion on this forum I was able to figure out why it wasn't receiving any transmission. Now I've got it working to the point where all the radios we have will transmit to it but for some reason the repeater is not repeating out what is transmitted in to it....

The frequencies are correct, squelch is set, volume is set, the "Takeover" button is not pressed (I've also tried with it pressed), the "MONI' button is not pressed (I've also tried with it pressed) and no matter what you do, the "Repeat" light is always on even if you press it again but it never actually repeats what it gets in.

I've checked several connections inside the unit but nothing appears to be messed up...

I'm not sure if maybe the connector on the back of the repeater that controls different functions of the radio isn't set correctly... pin 9 is jumped to pin 12 for external audio.

I also noticed many adjustable electronic dials inside the TX-RX unit but I did not touch those. (Pictures 570 and 569 attached)

There is also a wire soldered inside the TX-RX unit that I'm unsure of what it does or why it's there but it appears to be "aftermarket". (Picture 568 attached)

Any and all help, comments, or concerns would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 56874366_396344177764154_8902440265042624512_n.jpg
    56874366_396344177764154_8902440265042624512_n.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 56902504_316288192352170_2781045041315971072_n.jpg
    56902504_316288192352170_2781045041315971072_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 57021372_810659882622703_1174326187091034112_n.jpg
    57021372_810659882622703_1174326187091034112_n.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 44

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The wire on the circuit board is a jumper. Leave it be.
Don't mess with any adjustments inside the repeater. You don't have the test equipment to be able to do that.

There's some red flags that are popping up here. I really want to help you, but it really appears that you are in over your head.
1. If you do not have the correct test equipment, you should not be adjusting anything in/on the repeater.
2. Most of the TKR-820's arewide band repeaters, and trying to use on on a narrow band channels (required by your FCC license) isn't going to work and isn't going to be legal. If you have a TKR-820NK, then you should have the right repeater.
3. You seem to be avoiding providing any data we can use to assist you, like model numbers, license info, exact frequency, etc. That makes us wonder what you are up to.
4. We don't know if this repeater is even programmed correctly. You haven't provided any info on who set it up for you.
5. Without some details, it is going to be nearly impossible for any of us to help you out.

You really need to seek some professional assistance here. You are going to save yourself a lot of time, headaches and possibly legal trouble if you don't. Properly programming and setting up a repeater takes a lot of skill, knowledge and proper test equipment. With all due respect, you honestly appear to have none of that.

I understand wanting to help out your company, but violating FCC rules isn't going to end well.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Again I would say you need to call VEI Communications of Bowling Green they are a Kenwood Dealer.
The TKR-720 820 are no longer supported as they are not Narrow Band Compliant Repeaters. They did make a conversion Board for the 720 820 but not many were sold the TKR 750 TKR 850 may be better suited for your needs.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
T-band licensing has been frozen for several years. No new applications have been accepted. An there weren't any T-band allocations in Kentucky...

GTSECURITY

Thank you to everyone here for all your help. The matter of the license problem has been solved thanks to the information here.

If any of you have suggestions as to where we could get a narrow-band UHF repeater system that meets FCC requirements and is below 470mhz and above 430mhz I would appreciate it.

Due to some internal matters, my company does not have too much to spend on this anymore but it is still necessary for us to acquire a system for long range communications. Thank You in advance for any help you are willing to provide.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If any of you have suggestions as to where we could get a narrow-band UHF repeater system that meets FCC requirements and is below 470mhz and above 430mhz I would appreciate it.

Due to some internal matters, my company does not have too much to spend on this anymore but it is still necessary for us to acquire a system for long range communications. Thank You in advance for any help you are willing to provide.

You are doing this in the wrong order.
I'll say it again, you need some professional assistance, wether you think so or not...

Before you purchase ANY equipment, you need to be licensed by the FCC. To do that, you'll need a professional to assist you with finding the right frequency coordinator, someone to help with the license applications, remitting funds to the FCC, etc. You can't do any of that until you have a location to put the repeater, as the majority of licensing is done by location, and without a location you won't get a license. You talk of "long range" but to get that you're going to need a primo location, and those are not cheap. Good tower locations are not going to let a security guard do his own antenna/feedline install, either.

And if you are going on a shared radio site, you're going to be required to have an intermod panel installed as part of your setup, and like the duplexers, those need to be tuned.

Once you have the license granted (not before) you can start considering the equipment you need. Do not buy anything, even cool looking radios, before you have the coordination and licensing done. You are assuming you are going to get a UHF license. Don't assume anything, that's what got you into trouble before.

Really, you need to back up and do this all in the right order. You are putting the cart several miles in front of the horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.