• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood TKR-830 won't repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

madlabs

Hi All,

I have a TKR-830 here on the bench. I can't get it to repeat however. It receives a signal and audio can be heard through the speaker but it does not repeat. If you key up with the mic it transmits on the correct output frequency. It is acting as if it has a tone set which it is not receiving BUT it does not have a tone board. So it receives, the busy light lights but no TX. Any ideas?

Jonathan

domes

The TKR-830 is not a "repeater". It is a (analog) Trunking Station. Just a transmitter & receiver designed to operate with an external LTR or MPT type trunking controller which handles the audio & repeater control functions. If you want to make a repeater out of the 830 you'll have to add some type of external controller/repeater panel with whatever coded squelch system you want. The TKR-840 is the real repeater version of the 830.

madlabs

Aha! Well thanks for that. Pretty funny that Kenwood didn't know that. I did some probing around yesterday and couldn't find a COR type signal on the back, I'll have to look for that. Any idea what they would call that?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Aha! Well thanks for that. Pretty funny that Kenwood didn't know that. I did some probing around yesterday and couldn't find a COR type signal on the back, I'll have to look for that. Any idea what they would call that?

Should be COR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madlabs

Just probed the back again. The only two outputs that change upon RX is the RSSI (not usable for COR) and an output labeled SC (SQ control output). That seems usable, logic low upon RX, may be able to loop that directly to the PTT.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Should be COR.

05def7c16fbbfc156cb169ea4f076b5b.jpg

From the TKR-740 service manual

http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tkr-740e-svc-man.pdf

Looks like pin 17 is COR. It’s called Squelch Control.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just probed the back again. The only two outputs that change upon RX is the RSSI (not usable for COR) and an output labeled SC (SQ control output). That seems usable, logic low upon RX, may be able to loop that directly to the PTT.

Sorry was replying to you when you posted. SC=COR 0v when Signal present, 5v when squelch is closed.

I would suggest NOT looping it to the PTT, but using a repeater controller so you have things like a TOT, and the ability to adjust a hang timer, be able to have an ID ect.

madlabs

OK, two jumpers and it is repeating! Going to need to put a real controller there but we now have proof of life. Thanks!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
OK, two jumpers and it is repeating! Going to need to put a real controller there but we now have proof of life. Thanks!

Take a look at the service manual. There are voltages for the TX audio and RX audio levels.

That service manual will help you except it is for a VHF repeater instead of a UHF.

madlabs

Yeah, I'll use a proper controller. I'd like to put a tone on it if nothing else. It is going to be a GMRS repeater so no CWID required but I'll have the controller do it anyway. Ham, habits die hard.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.