Kenwood TM-281A

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt25

nickcarr ,thanks for the help on tge mod.

I need some advice which antenna would be the best for this radio ,as far as range,or what do i look for in buying a good antenna ? These are prob stupid questions but i have no clue on antennas.

matt25

I need some advice which antenna would be the best for this radio ,as far as range,or what do i look for in buying a good antenna ? These are prob stupid questions but i have no clue on antennas.

perry211

Premium Subscriber
Kenwod TM-281 Mod. Take out the r768, Turn it back on,you will see wait while it resets it's self and then you are ready to go. If you use a solder pen put a neddle or the tip of a sharp knife with a little pressure on the resistor,touch one end of that little baby for a split second and it will pop up. Be sure you don't leave it loose in the radio! Find it. Enjoy

Last edited:

bertedmund67

It all depends on what antenna application you need, base antenna or mobile antenna. For mobile antennas and base station antennas, there are a lot out there at places like R&L Electronics or Ebay for that matter. The TM-281A has much power on it (65 watts rf output) and it will work well with quarter wave atennas such as the KR2M WORKMAN MAG MOUNT ANTENNA or the QMAG WORKMAN NMO195 + MOTHM MAGNETIC MOUNT. It will perfectly work with 5/8 wave antennas such as the JTNMO150 JETSTREAM 5/8 WAVE 2M NMO STYLE ANTENNA with any nmo mounting avaiable.

I hope this helps.

Bert

mrbobcat

Premium Subscriber
kenwood tm281 mod

yes it will work if you take out the R768 resister. have already done this and it will work. when you take out the resister and power it back up the display will read: WAIT and then it will reset and your ready to start programming again.......

Attachments

• tm281a  MOD1.jpg
    tm281a MOD1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 16,484

bertedmund67

yes it will work if you take out the R768 resister. have already done this and it will work. when you take out the resister and power it back up the display will read: WAIT and then it will reset and your ready to start programming again.......

Hello mrbobcat, you are full of blessing, thank you very much for the mod. I appreciate it.

Bert

Docs43

resistor stuck

Kenwod TM-281 Mod. Take out the r768, Turn it back on,you will see wait while it resets it's self and then you are ready to go. If you use a solder pen put a neddle or the tip of a sharp knife with a little pressure on the resistor,touch one end of that little baby for a split second and it will pop up. Be sure you don't leave it loose in the radio! Find it. Enjoy

Hello perry211,

so I'm having a little problem getting the r768 resistor out of the radio - I used the tip of a sharp knife to press on the end (tried both actually) of it and nothing.
You guys made it sound so easy and I figured it would be a "snap" but I messed with it for about 10 min. without any success.

Help please anyone, I need to mod it so I can use it!!
Feel free to email me if anyone has a picture of how it's done... "exact1er@yahoo.com"

THANKS IN ADVANCE

SCPD

QRT
You have to use a little bit of force. I wouldn't use a knife though as you could potentionally scratch another component or worse yet -- a tracing.

Use a small screwdriver (watch size is best) -- they're relatively sharp and will easily poke the resistor off.

A pair of *fine-tip* tweezers can do the trick too.

Docs43

Thanks NC - so I have some needle-tip tweezers and I'm guessing I will actually have to pry it up (as well with tiny screwdriver) then huh? Unless it will just pull up...
Sorry to keep beating a dead horse, I just want to clarify before going back in there ;)

Docs43

You have to use a little bit of force. I wouldn't use a knife though as you could potentionally scratch another component or worse yet -- a tracing.

Use a small screwdriver (watch size is best) -- they're relatively sharp and will easily poke the resistor off.

Thanks nc,
I have some of those needle-tipped tweezers and will try that route.

However, as with the small screwdriver I'm assuming you have to actually "pry" it as opposed to "poke" it?
And do I want to try and get it off from the ends of the resistor or from its sides??

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I just want to make sure I DON'T scratch or damage anything inside...

Thanks again, Scott

Docs43

Thanks nickcarr - hopefully this isn't a double post, but I'm just trying to clarify so as not to scratch anything in the process.

I have those tweezers, so I'm guessing it is an actual "pry/pull" method as if using the small screwdriver??
And do I want to focus on the sides not the ends of the resistor?

Thanks again - only 1 week to an important desert race that I'm chasing at so I need to be in the 150-154 freq. range!

Scott

SCPD

QRT
Yes I would just pry it forcefully -- but while in control -- if that makes any sense. You don't want to jab at it repeatedly, for example. :)

perry211

Premium Subscriber
TM-281a Mod

Yes taking out that resistor will open up the tx and receive. I belive to 170 mhz. I know I have marine band freqs in mine in the 160mhz.

SCPD

QRT
Yes taking out that resistor will open up the tx and receive. I belive to 170 mhz. I know I have marine band freqs in mine in the 160mhz.

No it doesn't open up receive. It's just enables TX across the full band of the radio. The USA model is already open from 136-174Mhz.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
The TM-271 and TM-281 already receive from 136 to 174 MHz. Cutting the resistor opens up transmit to the same limits. It does not expand those limits in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.