Kenwood TM-D710A TNC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a TM-710A. However, I have a question for those who have one or used one. I am interested in this model for the built in TNC. I want to get into packet radio, and figured this would help reduce the number of items to purchase.

I have tried looking at the manual but I can't really find anything on how to use it. I understand how to connect it to the computer, but I'm lost after that. I've messed around with MultiPSK for decoding/encoding packets (nothing over the air, just between two computers), but it appears that the software does not support this radio. Is there any software that does support it? Do I have to select another radio in the software, or does the radio just know when to rx/tx without any other interaction?

Thanks in Advance,
Chris

KI6ABZ

Premium Subscriber
It's my impression that you don't need a special sofware package on the PC to run a TNC. It just acts like a modem, and you issue commands through a terminal program. If you ever used the old Hayes AT commands (most people today never connected to a dial-up BBS...), then you should be familiar with the basic idea. In that case, you do NOT need MultiPSK; you just need a terminal progam (like the Terminal program that comes with Windows.)

Of course, if I'm wrong, someone will correct me. :)

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is there any software that does support it? Do I have to select another radio in the software, or does the radio just know when to rx/tx without any other interaction?
The TM-D710 has a built-in TNC. The purpose of a TNC is to decode an audio signal into digital data, encode digital data into an audio signal, and key the radio when the TNC is ready to send a packet of data. Since the TNC is built-in, the audio and PTT keying connections between the TNC and the radio are made for you.

The digital data that you send/receive to/from the TNC is in the form of an RS-232 serial data stream. While there may be packet programs that can correctly interpret this data, you can easily communicate with the TNC using a terminal emulation program such as Hyperlink on a Windows PC.

What do you plan to do with your TM-D710? Are you planning to use it for APRS or do you have some other packet application in mind?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you are operating from fixed or known locations, you don't need a GPS receiver to do APRS. The D710 has location memories that you can program with lat/lon that you can get from a map. Then it's a matter of selecting the proper location memory for where ever you are.

I'm not familiar with AirMail, but it probably includes command strings for various TNCs. You will probably have to check with the developers of AirMail or other users of the program to see what it takes to use it with the D710.

Status
Not open for further replies.