Kenwood TM-V71

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Can anyone tell me how fast this radio scans? Is it as fast as the TM-271?

And can you make banks of channels like the TM-271?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

LtDoc

I have a TM-V71A but not a TM-271. So, can't make a direct comparison. I also don't do a lot of scanning like you're thinking about, just don't have that many freqs programmed in to segregate them. So I can't really answer your questions. I can say that I like the radio, it does what I want it to do. It was an 'up-grade' from a TM-V708. It can do almost the same things as the '710 (change heads and it does the same things), but is cheaper!
- 'Doc

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I did find out that you can "bank" channels so if you go to a different area frequently you can have banks of repeaters for different areas programmed in. I just can't find out anything on how fast the radio scans!

Mike

KD0IPM

What's fast to you? I have 24 channels in one bank and can't count to 2 before it starts over. more than 10 channels/sec then.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
CustomH - that's fast to me then! Just wanted I wanted to hear. Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know.

Mike

KD0IPM

No problem, I love my Kenwoods, the RT Systems programming software completes their perfection.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
While RT Systems has recently introduced programming software for several Kenwood radios, such software is available for free from Kenwood itself. That's one of the big advantages to Kenwood amateur radios...the software is free.

You can buy a suitable programming cable for the Kenwoods from the following source for about $7 rather than the high price that Kenwood charges.

MINI DIN8 M to DB9F 6FT. CABLE PART#70810

KD0IPM

Kenwood's software is junk compared to RT Systems, used the free stuff until RT Systems came out with theirs.

LtDoc

I haven't done a comprehensive study of Kenwood's program, but it seems to do everything the 'RT Systems' program does.
- 'Doc

KD0IPM

The kenwood software doesn't preset offsets, tones are a pain etc. Not to mention the Kenwood software requires a com port where rt systems uses usb.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The kenwood software doesn't preset offsets...
Yes, it does. They are preset at 600kHz for the 2m band and 5.0MHz for the 440 band.

...tones are a pain etc.
What's difficult about a pull-down to select the tone?

Not to mention the Kenwood software requires a com port where rt systems uses usb.
Unfortunately, RT Systems has locked you into using only their cable.

The cable that RT Systems sells is nothing more than proprietary USB to serial converter. Note that RT Systems' web site states "Version 4 software does NOT work with other USB cables, other USB adapters, or any serial cable." This means that if you lose or damage the RT Systems cable, you have to go back to them to purchase another $30 cable.

On the other hand, the Kenwood software will work with any serial cable that has a DB-9 connector on one end and an 8-pin mini DIN connector on the other. I have made these cables myself and the link I provided earlier gives a source for pre-made cables at a cost of $8. You can buy USB to serial (DB-9) converters that will work with Kenwood's software for about $15.

So, going with the Kenwood software means that you spend $0 on the software and about $23 on the cable. With the RT Systems software, you spend $49 for their software and their proprietary cable.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
This stuff from RT will, supposedly, only work with their own programming cable. (As stated on their website.) That is a very bad practice, at best, and quite likely inaccurate.

That is enough of a reason, for me, to not purchase their products.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The kenwood software doesn't preset offsets, tones are a pain etc. Not to mention the Kenwood software requires a com port where rt systems uses usb.

To be accurate, the RT stuff uses their own USB to serial adapter. (According to their website, the program will only work with one of their own cables.)

LtDoc

Once you've gone through that 'USB/serial port adapter' thingy, you'll end up with several drivers. Picking the right one is just a matter of trying them to see which one(s) work. I certainly don't have all of them by any means, but I haven't found an adapter that one of those drivers wouldn't work with (so far!). It's not just with radios, so it sort of 'works out' over time.
I have to admit that I'm 'biased' toward Kenwood, and especially their 'free' programs. ;)
- 'Doc

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

krokus said:

To be accurate, the RT stuff uses their own USB to serial adapter. (According to their website, the program will only work with one of their own cables.)

I use RT Systems software for my Vertex/Yaesu moibile amd portables, works great, and I could care less that I have to use their cables, the ease of use of the software is worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.