key faub frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It'll vary depending on exactly the model/brand, etc.
But often if you look around the 315MHz area you can find many.

Another option is to run the FCC ID off the back of the key fob on this site:
FCC ID Search
That'll provide some useful info.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can also find some in the 434MHz range, as well as 902 - 904MHz area. There's even some that run down around 125KHz.
Pretty short bursts, on the order of tens of milliseconds, so you'll have to be sitting right on it to hear anything.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
A full spectrum analyzer might be of use here. But they are mighty pricey.

I tested my garage door opener once and it is indeed in the 300 MHz band. I used my Radio Shack frequency counter. I also remember reading here many years ago how the military was interfering with people's garage doors. LOL

Thank you poltergeist.
Just a bit out of my price grade. I have been testing at 300-400 Mhz.
I did find my weather transmitter.
And yes, in Oxnard Ca. A small camp ground is a bird compound known as the largest in So. Cal.

bharvey2

A full spectrum analyzer might be of use here. But they are mighty pricey.

I tested my garage door opener once and it is indeed in the 300 MHz band. I used my Radio Shack frequency counter. I also remember reading here many years ago how the military was interfering with people's garage doors. LOL

One of those $20-30 dollar SDR dongles makes a quick and dirty spectrum analyzer. I've used them on a number of occasions to look for interference and to hunt down the frequencies of specific devices.

Question for oldradioguy2010: Are you interested in determining the frequency of an automotive remote or the RFID frequency of a key or security fob?

bharvey2

Common frequencies for automotive remotes are 315MHZ and 433-434MHZ. I'm not as familiar with the automotive passive RFID frequencies. The security industry often uses 125khz. Keep in mind that passive RFID like that used in keys don't have an internal power source and therefore, have no way to transmit on their own. They work in tandem with the receiver that induces a voltage into the key via a transmitting coil that excites the key when it is in close proximity to the receiver.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
During an open house at FCA, the EMC lab had a spectrum analyzer display, showing the 300 MHz range used by most. You could see the spikes, easily.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.