Kib 511

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
bee said:
Thank you, oldranger! Yes that cleared it up(I think). As I understand your post( and as I stated in my first post) the call sign only has to be repeated every 30 mins for public saftey. According to your post, it can be repeated after every transmission, if a dispatcher, wishes to do that!

But what about announcing the "time of day"!

"KIB 511", 10:30 AM.

Oh, by the way, I believe it should be,"five, one, one" instead of "five eleven" as in ----"nine, one, one", 911!!

KIB, five, one, one. 10:39AM.

Well, my suggestion is to contact the office there. The number is (205)383-9212 . Tell them that you are an avid scanner listener, and you are annoyed with them repeating their callsign after every transmission, as well as the time. Let them know that the FCC says they only have to say it every 30 minutes. Also, while you have them on the phone, be sure to let them know the correct way to say KIB511. I'm sure the Chief Communications Officer would love to hear from you. Perhaps, if ya'll work together, it will make for a more plesant and meaningful scanning experience.

Yours in scanning,

bee

Kingpin, you are a really funny guy! But, you don't have an answer, either!

I think, you being sarcastic?

And, you are a database admin.!

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
bee said:
Kingpin, you are a really funny guy! But, you don't have an answer, either!

I think, you being sarcastic?

And, you are a database admin.!

I'm not one to start anything here but we've given you several answers as to why things are the way they are and you still are not satisfied with what you are hearing. Since we are unable to obviously not able to tell you what you are wanting to hear, the next suggestion, it to contact DPS directly. You honestly may get the answers you need there. I'm seeming "sarcastic", because this has been going on for several days now, and several of us have taken time to research, and help you, and you are basicly telling us "It's not good enough". If all else fails, go straight to the horse's mouth I say.

Best of luck,

oldranger

A Call For Peace !!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Bee,You were given several sources from FCC rules regarding station I.D.
I agree with Steve and The Kingpin,call that station or DPS asking them about their SOP regarding I.D.
The rules say a station has to I.D. each transmission and or every 30 minutes.They can do what ever they want to as long as they follow the FCC rules.Vocal ID is redundant any way if they "AUTO ID".
My opinion is you are worrying about something that doesn't matter anyway.
I don't care what they do as long as they are keeping our streets and highways safe and they do a damn good job of it !

"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY ! "

Last edited:

bee

Kingpin states, "we've given you several answers why things are the way they are".

No!

Two of my questions haven't been answered. (1) Why do they give the time of day? (2) Why do they say "five eleven" instead of "five, one, one.

Its really simple.

If you don't know, just say "I don't know"!

Good day!

morganAL

Another thing that dispatchers are taught is to not use an excessive number of words. Eleven is on word one one is two words. Besides, why do we call it a "Seven Eleven" store and not a seven one one store? (Don't answer that!) Besides it's just easier to say. An agency I used to work for was KSS821. I used to hear some of the other dispatchers say "K double S eight two one". Was it correct to do that? Probably not but we never got a fine either. Was it easier to say? For some people, yep. Why do they say K I B five eleven? Probably because that is the way they were taught to say it when they were trained. Are they going to change? I doubt it unless they are ordered to by the Post Commander or higher. Dispatchers hate change whether it is good or bad. I know because I used to be one and now I deal with them every day from the IT/Radio side of the fence. We couldn't even get the dispatchers to use a new microwave in the break room because "it's different than the old one and we like the old one better".

trace1

bee said:
(1) Why do they give the time of day?

Perhaps the time of day is given to be like a "time stamp", a sequence of characters, denoting the date and/or time at which a certain event occurred, or it could be just something fun for them to do since they aren't doing anything "official"...

bee said:
(2) Why do they say "five eleven" instead of "five, one, one.

This reminds me of the following, "I say toh-mah-toh, you say toh-may-toh, you say poh-tah-to, I say poh-tay-toh", ya' know what I mean?

Why is the sky blue?

Why is it that when someone tells you that there’s billions of stars in the universe, you believe them. But if they tell you there’s wet paint somewhere you have to touch it?

How can there be self-help “groups”?

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say?

Why isn’t the number 11 pronounced onety one?

If it’s true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didnt zigzag?

Do people who spend $2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water know that spelling it backwards is Naive?

If 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Do you realize how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest drown too?

How did the man who invented cottage cheese know he was done?

Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?

How did a fool and his money get together?

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Can you get cavities in your dentures from using too much artificial sweetner?

Ok! I get it. No one here, knows! I will look else where!

Well that is about the first sensible thing you've said so far and I'd take up the suggestion to call the local DPS station and ask them all of your important questions...

Or, are you just here to "stir things up"?

Louis Armstrong said:
Things have come to a pretty pass
Our romance is growing flat,
For you like this and the other
While I go for this and that,
Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It looks as if we two will never be one
Something must be done:

You say either and I say either, You say neither and I say neither
Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh, if we call the whole thing off Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you like pyjamas and I like pyjahmas, I'll wear pyjamas and give up
pyajahmas
For we know we need each other so we , Better call the whole off off
Let's call the whole thing off.

You say laughter and I say larfter, You say after and I say arfter
Laughter, larfter after arfter, Let's call the whole thing off,

You like vanilla and I like vanella, You saspiralla, and I saspirella
Vanilla vanella chocolate strawberry, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh if we call the whole thing of then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you go for oysters and I go for ersters, I'll order oysters and cancel
the ersters
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the calling off off ,

I say father, and you say pater, I saw mother and you say mater
Pater, mater Uncle, auntie, let's call the whole thing off.

I like bananas and you like banahnahs, I say Havana and I get Havahnah
Bananas, banahnahs Havana, Havahnah, Go your way, I'll go mine

So if I go for scallops and you go for lobsters, So all right no contest we'll
order lobseter
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the calling off off ,

Please be sure to post back here when you get an official answer from the DPS. ;)

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
As Steve said, morse identifiers are in place at some posts now.

To reply to your initial post Bee, you just notice them saying it more now because the Q*C Post went back to a transmitter without morse id. Before, you didn't hear any voice id at all and now you hear it after just about every transmission as was the former custom. The newer folks at the post just don't know how and when to roll it off without sounding (for lack of a better term) silly.

Oh yeah, if I only had a nickle for everytime I said "KIB-511" I could retire!

bee

Thanks RadioJonD. I knew that you would be here sooner or later, with a good answer.

But that still doess not answer my orginal question. Which was, "why do they end every transmission with "KIB five eleven", when they only have to do it about every 30 mins"?

Just because they want to?? They don't have anything else to say? They want to sound "OFFICIAL"? If these are the reasons, I am satisfied with that!

That just leaves the "five eleven" question. I guess from the posts above, it just means they can say "five eleven" if they want to!

But, I have never heard a 911 operator say, "nine eleven"!

Again, thanks RadioJonD.

bee

Thanks, MorganAL, ok, because "that was the way they were trained and, or, its is easier".

Finally getting answers!!

wrr20891

The Arkansas State Police used to end base transmissions with the call letters and time also when they were on low band.

The reason for signing off with the call was so all the cars in the Troop would know the HQ was finished with whoever they were talking to. The time was provided so the Trooper would have the official time for any logs or reports. I.E. when arriving at a crash scene, he could just note the time provided by headquarters on his report as he reported his arrival.

The call letters went away with the switch to the original 800 trunking system, but most of the older ops still sign off with the current time. The newer ops tend not to provide the time.

emcom

toadtraxracing said:
We dont have to do this in Huntsville....wonder why? I think the sheriffs dept system does it automatically via morse code every few hours

We used to. When I first began working around the Madison Co. SO as a youth volunteer in '90, we still had the old 1970's Motorola repeater system that had no IDer on it. Dispatching was done from the courthouse then. It wasn't until 1993 or so (around the same time that we got F-2) that the repeater was replaced with the MASTRIII that self ID'd.

We used to have to say "2100 hours KJN737". However, our radio system was much more busy than the troopers. We restricted it to every 30 minutes, or else we'd drive everyone crazy saying it all the time. A lot of times, we'd say it after reading out a bolo or something just so we wouldn't forget. It was easy to forget to do the IDs.

Now that they have had CW IDs for 15 years or more on the MCSD system, I doubt the present day dispatchers even know what the callsign is. If they use North Alabama Net (155.010), they still should ID at the end of their use with KIB937. They are using the city's transmitter for that. However, they don't use North Alabama much at all anymore....cell phones and Nextels have cut that way down. Plus, long distance is so cheap these days, agency to agency comms are mostly done by phone now.

I think the troopers method of IDing after every series of transmissions goes back to the fact that there used to be only a handful of troopers on duty a lot of times. The post might have gone more than 30 minutes without a radio transmission....especially at night. Therefore, they ID on their final transmission for a given converstaion to ensure they had complied with regulations. Then, it wound up being more often than 30 minutes on busier days and in busier posts....IMHO.

Last edited:

Paridox

Your explanation makes good since emcom. From what I hear, the State EMA is putting together a State wide communications system that all state agencies within Alabama can operate off of. When and if this happens, the call sign KIB-511 will either change or it will go to the morse code system. Maybe this will make Bee happy. :)

SCPD

QRT
Paridox said:
Your explanation makes good since emcom. From what I hear, the State EMA is putting together a State wide communications system that all state agencies within Alabama can operate off of. When and if this happens, the call sign KIB-511 will either change or it will go to the morse code system. Maybe this will make Bee happy. :)

and where might be this info is coming from????

Status
Not open for further replies.