Kokomo / Howard Co Public Safety Feed Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
Whomever was providing the feed for Kokomo, Howard Co Indiana stopped last month.
Anyone know why? Are there drawbacks to providing a feed that would cause a problem to the volunteer??
Any insight appreciated.
Jeff

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Click on this link http://forums.radioreference.com/li...-where-did-feed-go-how-get-my-area-added.html

I don't know of any drawbacks per se. Many times the feed provider just looses interest, such as not many listeners, computer or scanner issues, switched to feeding a different system, or due to changes in the actual radio system itself (digital, encrypted, etc). There was a loss of some feeds with the changeover to Broadcastify, although I don't think it was as extensive as originally predicted. I see feeds come and go a lot just in Ohio.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Perhaps he could not afford to provide the feed any longer? Also, if you dl proscan's free client, you can srf though the live feeds on it and there is I believe still the Howard County feed there? As well as at least 2 other IN feeds. Most of the time there is at least 80 or so live at any time.

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps he could not afford to provide the feed any longer? Also, if you dl proscan's free client, you can srf though the live feeds on it and there is I believe still the Howard County feed there? As well as at least 2 other IN feeds. Most of the time there is at least 80 or so live at any time.

I took over the Howard County/Kokomo Public Service feed after the option finally disappeared on the Howard County feeds list.
Problem is i don't know how to program my own scanner and have to have it done for me. I told them want the SWAT, TAC & C2C ect all turned off, but since i don't know how to personally verify it, I'm a little leary!.
Kokomo has a channel 2 but i don't consider it a car 2 car channel so i had it left on as i believe i heard it on before.
I want to help out, but not create a problem for anyone. As a prior patrolman and dispatcher i dont want to do anything to compromise officer safety.
In my original question i was hoping that the previous provider or someone that knew him or her would shed some insight.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I took over the Howard County/Kokomo Public Service feed after the option finally disappeared on the Howard County feeds list.
Problem is i don't know how to program my own scanner and have to have it done for me. I told them want the SWAT, TAC & C2C ect all turned off, but since i don't know how to personally verify it, I'm a little leary!.
Kokomo has a channel 2 but i don't consider it a car 2 car channel so i had it left on as i believe i heard it on before.
I want to help out, but not create a problem for anyone. As a prior patrolman and dispatcher i dont want to do anything to compromise officer safety.
In my original question i was hoping that the previous provider or someone that knew him or her would shed some insight.
If that channel 2 is other than routine dispatch or special event it is prohibited. What brand/model scanner is it? It shouldn't be hard to lock one out if need be.

INDY72

I can make you a custom lineup with my software, all you have to do is get a cable and download it to your scanner using the 30 day trial period of ARC96. Just tell me exactly which agencies you want on it and I will load it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Oh and I forgot to mention, FREE!

jwc553911 Check your PM's.

Last edited by a moderator:

adunkle76

Premium Subscriber
I would be glad to help you. I am in Kokomo at least 5 days a week. I don't charge either.

k9ksb

I monitor Howard and there ch 2 is used a lot in major events to get traffic off dispatch like last night they had a police chase and all on scene ops were on ch2 and please keep the contry fire on there I was able to use it on the house fire Friday so when they called for my dept I had about a 5 min jump on the call due to time it took Howard to call my dispatch and for them to tone it out and thanks for taking over

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
That is the feedback i was looking for.
I know we do not have a car2car channel and they just go direct on both.
I think i have this thing right where i need it.

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
I have been listening to or apart of the Kokomo, Howard Co scanner ffor over 25 years, and i still cant believe how busy it is for a town our size. I had 145 listeners last night. I will keep it up as long as the scanner holds out.

K9GTJ

I have been listening to or apart of the Kokomo, Howard Co scanner ffor over 25 years, and i still cant believe how busy it is for a town our size. I had 145 listeners last night. I will keep it up as long as the scanner holds out.

As the previous feed provider for more than 6 years and through numerous feed solutions, I can share some insight as to why I quite. Honestly, it became a sense of entitlement for some. Any blip in the feed from computer failure, DSL problems, to officers not speaking into the mic correctly/loudly cause them to send nasty emails. It became worse when the premium subscriber model came into play. People emailed me about billing issues and all kinds of BS. I became pretty busy to put up with that stuff and when the premium subscription to RR got dropped as a perk, that really sealed the deal for me.

On the positive side, there are tons of listeners and I've recorded more than 1000 connected on busy days like during the random shootings. The Howard County Sheriff's Department also liked the feed and kept a link on their main page. I notified them I was going offline and suggested they remove the link. You might email them and let them know you are now hosting the feed.

Finally, I do own the domain scankokomo.com/twitter account/facebook page. If you have an interested, feel free to PM me if you would like to take those over. I am not looking payment much above some costs for the domain. It does make finding the feed easy.

Last, I don't know if you ever saw this in the local newspaper - http://forums.radioreference.com/st...932-newspaper-article-my-scanner-website.html (There was some butchering in the article though.)

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
I will PM you shortly with some questions. I would not like any e-mails like that either!! Especially when I am doing something out of the goodness of my heart!
Publicly: Thank you for the years of listening enjoyment. I never took you for granted.
Jeff

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

k9ksb

I seen there was alert on ur feed which I listen to quite a bit it said u were going to police only traffic in July kinda made me sad police are boring lol but it is your feed

Status
Not open for further replies.