• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPT300 v2.0 on Windows 7

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
split between Berkeley Springs, WV & Wyoming
Has anyone gotten the v2.0 KPT300 to work on a Windows 7 system? I was able to install it to my old computer so that I could move my license to a newer one however it keeps giving cancellation failed when I try to perform that. I messaged Evans earlier and he replied back to me that v2.0 did require a newer operating system. The mystery seems to be if that is the case then why did it install with no problem on my old W7 system? And, if it does require a newer operating system then how is one supposed to export your existing license off an older operating system?

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
A follow up to my previous question about Windows 7 & KPT300 v2.0. I had already dual partitioned my new computer to be able to run both 7 & 10 so I went ahead and installed the LMC on both sides to be able to check and it does indeed seem that the LMC will not communicate with the server on the W7 system but immediately connected when I went to the W10 side and when I manually entered my licensed key it immediately recognized it and showed the software and 0/1 (due to my license still residing on my old W7 only computer. So the question still remains, how do you get your license off a W7 system? I installed the LMC there also and it too will not communicate with the server. Or do you have to bite the bullet and just buy another wideband license?

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
You need to contact tech support. They will reset the count(s) to make the licenses available on the new machine. You'll need to provide the old and new machine IDs and the license keys you want to move, possibly with some proof of who you are (unless you're a frequent flyer :) ).

The way this was handled is "unfortunate". :(

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood Tech Support can help with that as they did with me

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
You need to contact tech support. They will reset the count(s) to make the licenses available on the new machine. You'll need to provide the old and new machine IDs and the license keys you want to move, possibly with some proof of who you are (unless you're a frequent flyer :) ).

The way this was handled is "unfortunate". :(
Thanks for the replies, Evans did take care of it. And yes, I don't think Kenwood foresaw that there would be licenses remaining on Windows 7 Machines

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I've also run into Win7 problems with both Icom and Motorola in the last two days, too.

Must be nice for these engineers to work in an environment where they always get the latest stuff and get to be oblivious to the real world, where we have to support multiple brands and generations of radios with so much software and hardware that is a pain to keep trying to move to new environments, even when it does, seemingly miraculously, work.😒

kc8ldo

Premium Subscriber
I've been dealing with the same issue. I have a Win 7 Pro box. KPT-300 V2 installed and ran fine for a while on it. Added some feature license keys to several NX-1300 radios, no problems. Then POOF, it quit getting server info one day to authenticate the account. I suspect that Kenwood changed something on their end, with their server, that now detects and refuses to communicate with Win 7 machines.

As mentioned by the original poster I have it installed on a Win 10 box using the same account license. Works just fine on it.