LeeBarnes

4 Sites, possibly? There's a simulcast listing, and a regular listing for Douglas County. Depending on how far away from any of the simulcast sites you live, all of which are listed here WQSA645 (KANSAS, STATE OF (DISC)) FCC Callsign Details you may need to aim your scanner toward one of those.

On a side note, I've been wondering this for some time: What does "DISC" mean in the above? I've seen it on some of the "Kansas, State of " listings but not all. :confused:

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking discontinued, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.I.S.C=Division of Information Systems and Communications. That's what it was known as years ago (thus the reason it's labeled as such on the FCC license record). I believe they now go by Kansas Office of Emergency Communications.

dgruver911

No, they are not the same. KOEC is under the Adjutant General's Office and is focused on training and providing information on interoperable communications as well as the new public safety broadband initiative. DISC is now called the Office of Information Technology Services (OITS), they are the IT branch for the state and work very closely with KBI on hardware and firewall issues for access to the Criminal Justice computer network. Why they are also in charge of the FCC licenses for the state is curious to me. You would think it would be KDOT since they maintain and oversee the radio systems.

Last edited:

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
No, they are not the same. KOEC is under the Adjutant General's Office and is focused on training and providing information on interoperable communications as well as the new public safety broadband initiative. DISC is now called the Office of Information Technology Services (OITS), they are the IT branch for the state and work very closely with KBI on hardware and firewall issues for access to the Criminal Justice computer network. Why they are also in charge of the FCC licenses for the state is curious to me. You would think it would be KDOT since they maintain and oversee the radio systems.

Apparently I was given some incorrect information about the KOEC then. I stand corrected. DISC/OTIS has always been the coordination point for frequencies/FCC licenses (it was even that way when I was employed by the State 14 years ago--well before the implementation of KSICS). One would think KDOT handles such things, but the State has never operated logically.

Redneck0410

That will hopefully yield good results. Keep us updated please!

To update, I did snag some more traffic from the unknown Talkgroup 602 yesterday, but I was too slow to snag any audio. I'm getting more confident that it is (I believe) Sumner County that has that talkgroup. Whoever it was was here in Hutchinson yesterday but I didn't catch where in Hutchinson they were at.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Anyone get different NAC than 1B7 on KSICS towers. In DSD+ NAC 537 was associating with Olathe tower. Then in JOCO MARRS NAC 2B5 had a NAC 435.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I guessing the NAC are set on a regional and system basis. I had a PSR-800 on the control channel IF out and was watching the scrolling command line. Looking at the local MARRS I am getting quite a few different ones on the same towers.

joeuser

The Wretched
Interesting. I guessing the NAC are set on a regional and system basis. I had a PSR-800 on the control channel IF out and was watching the scrolling command line. Looking at the local MARRS I am getting quite a few different ones on the same towers.

Tried Unitrunker & DSD+?

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Tried Unitrunker & DSD+?

I tried it a while ago with DSD (I think) and wasn't able to get the settings correct to follow traffic. I was trying to monitor MARRS.. Lately, I've been searching around for local DMR and NXDN. I just happened to search the 800's and noticed it. I'll have to give Unitrunker another go some time soon.

joeuser

The Wretched
I tried it a while ago with DSD (I think) and wasn't able to get the settings correct to follow traffic. I was trying to monitor MARRS.. Lately, I've been searching around for local DMR and NXDN. I just happened to search the 800's and noticed it. I'll have to give Unitrunker another go some time soon.

I use it for my local KSICS tower so I might be able to help. Love the detail it provides.

Anyone:

Has the latest edition of DSD+ brought anything new to the table for monitoring our P25p1 KSICS?

rcanon321

Premium Subscriber
KSICS Site

There are 84 sites available on Ksics. How many should be used for Miami & Johnson County area? If you select all of them they tell you, you have used over 32 trunk frequencies. Should I use as many as allowed or as few as I can? Right now I'm using Olathe, Paola, Parker sometimes I'll add Lawrence & Douglas county.

joeuser

The Wretched
There are 84 sites available on Ksics. How many should be used for Miami & Johnson County area? If you select all of them they tell you, you have used over 32 trunk frequencies. Should I use as many as allowed or as few as I can? Right now I'm using Olathe, Paola, Parker sometimes I'll add Lawrence & Douglas county.

Only a handful of the frequencies are unique. So quite a few of these frequencies are used on many different towers, just not close to one another. I meant to make a list of all the frequencies so that one could have them for all the towers without the redundancy. Someday!

NR0W

on my GRE 500 all you need to enter are the control freq primary and secondary to scan the ksics system you don't to enter all of the freqs

daves1243

Premium Subscriber
Probably depends on your scanner and what you want to hear. If you want to hear activity in Johnson and Miami counties only, then on my HP536 I would enter the frequencies associated with towers located in those counties that are within range. No sense in scanning frequencies on towers that are out of range, though obviously that can change from day to day depending on conditions.