KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know who use's 4051? Heard it a couple times today. Somewhere around Topeka.

4051- Interop NE-6 Law Enforcement Channel

Each of the state interop zones has a PSAP (911 centers), Medical, Emergency Operations Center, Law Enforcement, Emergency Management, Fire, EMS and Public Works talkgroup assigned for mutual aid use. The PSAP, MED and EOC channels work statewide, while the other talkgroups will only work in the specific zone they cover.

The PSAP talkgroups seem to be the most active so far- I have heard quite a bit of county to county and even unit to dispatch radio traffic.

Last edited:

dgruver911

It probably was MERGe. Today was the annual Field Ops exercise at HCC South Campus. Something like over 100 medics, a dozen ambos and copters doing EMS drills. MERG4 is the coordination channel for them. For those that don't know, MERG is a consortium of EMS from South Central Kansas that sends units, crews and supervisors to major disasters to supplement local EMS crews. There also is now FORCE for fire and LEAD for Law Enforcement. There is work underway to develop a dispatch response group and possibly public works.

jasonkw

I went through both Russell and Hays today. My PRO106 picked up a P25 control channel at 852.4625 in Russell and 852.3125 in Hays. I was hearing the usual motoboarding. These match up to to the updates on the KSICS page. I programmed them both as control channels, but did not hear any traffic. I was using the wildcard option.

darkstar2002

The russell tower is active but only partially. Ive been told they have not full switch it over due to khp and kdot not having there radios good to go. Full switch is supposed to be in a couple of weeks.

jasonkw

I noticed in the database the Russell site id is 226. I went through both Russell and Hays again today and my scanner is showing the id on the Russell is 26. In Hays, the id that shows is 30. I assume this is the Ellis site. Would this be site id 230? The control channels are the same as I mentioned above.

I did pick up a radio check b/t a couple of hospitals on the Russell site. I didn't get the talkgroup id though, as I was driving at the time.

Last edited:

dgruver911

OK, so I am not hearing any of Reno County's 800 traffic unless I am in Hutch. My understanding was that they were to utilize towers in surrounding counties but I'm not hearing them off the Wichita tower and Newton must be too far away from Partridge, Preston and McPherson towers. Or do I have something set wrong? Any thoughts/ideas? I have the systems set to roam.

jasonkw

I don't think the McPherson tower is active yet. I was there last week and the only tower I can recieve there is the Lyons tower.

I heard Reno County EMS calls when I was in Wichita yesterday. I was hearing traffic from both the Wichita and El Dorado towers at the time. I have also heard Reno Co EMS calls on the Lyons tower.

I usually have my scanner set to stat. It will scan all usable towers. The roam setting will only scan the tower with the strongest signal. I have a PRO-106

Last edited:

dgruver911

Thanks Jason. I'll try that and see if it helps. I pick up stuff on the Wichita tower all the time, but never Reno County. Do you have their talkgroups entered under each tower or just one? I have them entered under Partridge but was operating under the assumption that if I had the system set to roam it would go to any active tower utuilizing that TG. Apparently not. I am using a PSR500 and Pro-197 programmed identically.

dgruver911

Oh and you are right. McPherson has not been trunked yet. Marion and McPherson are supposed to be this year sometime last I heard but not sure exactly when.

jasonkw

Do you have their talkgroups entered under each tower or just one? I have them entered under Partridge but was operating under the assumption that if I had the system set to roam it would go to any active tower utuilizing that TG. Apparently not. I am using a PSR500 and Pro-197 programmed identically.

I have the control frequencies programmed in one system in mine. I just set each talk group to use that system. I have found that many of towers use the same control frequencies, such as Partridge and El Dorado. It doesn't require as many control channels as is originally appears. I have all the sites for the western 2/3 of Kansas, and I have only used half of the available control channels for the system.

jereck_99

Premium Subscriber
hey guys i work will Mark at Derby Radio shack on programming the new digtal system scanner and has anyone one in here heard of Barber Co going digtal with a 460.

TomMaue

I am averaging between 2 and 3 bars reception and am able to hear Wabaunsee County dispatch regularly, yet I do not hear the traffic originating in the cars. Does this indicate a poor reception issue? Or am I missing a frequency or 2?

I have an old roof mounted TV antenna that can be used to mount an additional rooftop scanner antenna to (presently has an antenna mounted on it for our cell phone antenna system), if needed. Presently, it seems that I can only hear Wabaunsee County car traffic when they are either: in Alma or on digital frequencies. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

mancow

Database Admin
It sounds like they are simulcasting. They do that in Johnson County all the time. The mobiles will actually be on the Johnson Co analog trunking system on the KHP talkgroup and KHP dispatch will reply back to them on both the analog and Troop A digital talk groups. So the result is that the person listening to the digital system only hears the dispatch side of the traffic.

khphighwayman

Premium Subscriber
Wabaunsee County also runs a conventional 800 mhz freq. 851.450. This channel has a two repeater setup also. One tower is around I70 and K99 and the other tower is in Eskridge. If youre hearing the digital KSICS tower you should be able to hear their conventional channel. Id just plug that 851.450 into your conventional bank of your scanner.

keithb

Premium Subscriber
I am averaging between 2 and 3 bars reception and am able to hear Wabaunsee County dispatch regularly, yet I do not hear the traffic originating in the cars. Does this indicate a poor reception issue? Or am I missing a frequency or 2?

I have an old roof mounted TV antenna that can be used to mount an additional rooftop scanner antenna to (presently has an antenna mounted on it for our cell phone antenna system), if needed. Presently, it seems that I can only hear Wabaunsee County car traffic when they are either: in Alma or on digital frequencies. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

WB SO uses 851.45 for the primary freq. on their conventional system. (They rebanded some time ago) This is a repeater output and if you have this programmed you will hear both the cars and dispatch. Their primary KSICS talkgroup is 1322. You can hear them on the Eskridge tower (867.38750c), Flush tower (867.6125c) or Topeka (866.98750c). Is your scanner set to "stationary" so it will scan all the programmed KSICS control channels?

TomMaue

Thank you both! What about "trunk table" selection? presently, it is empty of any data. Should I have selected "P25 800 Mhz"?