KSICS in Lane County

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
On the KSICS list under Lane County you will see LaneCo SoDisp, LaneCo Ops & LaneCo Tac. It appears they are running everything off the ops channel and it is encrypted. I have yet to hear anything on the Disp or Tac channels. EMS & Fire are still running on the old channels and have not been rebanded yet.

jasonkw

That amazes me that they going encrypted. As small as the population is there, I don't think they would have anything to worry about. I wonder if they were influenced by Garden City and Finney County's decision to encrypt.

mrkevin02

Premium Subscriber
A couple of weeks ago before I got my new scanners I talked with the New Sheriff. I was telling him how much I missed hearing what little radio traffic there was in our small town ( less than 800 in town & less than 1000 in the entire county) sense they went digital. He told me then that all the money for the new radios was grant money. That the old system had been long over due for an upgrade. That parts were becoming harder and harder to find for repairs.

He also told me that another reason for the upgrade was to slow down all the people that would show up to a sence where they were called. He felt this was a safety issue that could get someone hurt or killed from rubber-necking.

The last reason was that the new HIPPA laws reguarding the release of information on suspects and medical patients were so strick that it didn't take much for people to get sued and he didn't want to risk that.

I personally think he is not understanding the small town situation. With a Sheriff & 4 Deputies plus an all volunteer Fire & EMS service, some times you have to use those people that show up to a scence due to the fact that help from the next town is at least 30 minutes away at best. A prefect example of this, in this county was a semi-tractor trailer school bus crash. When this happened and the call went out lots of people from the community responded to help. I like to think that due to all that help from the community that showed up that is the reason we only had two death from that crash. By the way when that crash occured the Sheriff, both the City & County Fire Chiefs plus the Director of EMS, The Director of the local hospital & the head nurse were out of town at a disaster management class.

Last edited:

factorone

I guarantee the fact that GCPD and Finney County EMS use the encryption feature set is partially what influenced it. The other excuse is "drug enforcement", but there aren't enough narcotics in that part of the state for even KBI to care about encryption (this is coming from the director's mouth).

He also told me that another reason for the upgrade was to slow down all the people that would show up to a sence where they were called. He felt this was a safety issue that could get someone hurt or killed from rubber-necking.

The last reason was that the new HIPPA laws reguarding the release of information on suspects and medical patients were so strick that it didn't take much for people to get sued and he didn't want to risk that.

HIPAA is a poor excuse to use encryption, and realistically doesn't apply considering personal patient information isn't given out over the radio anyway (see HIPAA Didn’t Kill the Radio Star | Public Safety Communications if you want some clarity).

I personally think he is not understanding the small town situation. With a Sheriff & 4 Deputies plus an all volunteer Fire & EMS service, some times you have to use those people that show up to a scene due to the fact that help from the next town is at least 30 minutes away at best. A prefect example of this, in this county was a semi-tractor trailer school bus crash. When this happened and the call went out lots of people from the community responded to help. I like to think that due to all that help from the community that showed up that is the reason we only had two death from that crash. By the way when that crash occured the Sheriff, both the City & County Fire Chiefs plus the Director of EMS, The Director of the local hospital & the head nurse were out of town at a disaster management class.

The small-town situation is a good reason, but most small towns have mutual aid agreements setup for MassCas incidents like what you describe. A little over a year ago, Finney County had an incident involving a multi-vehicle head-on MVA that ended up with 11 or 12 patients total, and while GCFD/FIEMS are fairly large and have the resources to cover that by themselves, they ended up calling for both Gray County EMS and Kearny County EMS to cover the county while they tended to the incident. It's a situation that calls for outside help, but more often than not, outside help shouldn't need to be a means of supplementing a situation in terms of personnel or resources (unless it's absolutely necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.