KSP Discussion Thread

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,just a note i have been hearing ksp on 159.090 digital p25 crystal clear post 9 pikeville..Unitcharlie help me out here they have been on this frequency all day jabbing is the ksp licensed for this freq?and it is p25

Last edited:

ShawnCowden

David <nikkor_99@...> wrote:
Anyone else hearing the KSP on 159.090? It is APCO-25 also. I usally
listen to Wyoming Co. "WV" sheriff's dept. on this, but started getting
machine gunning about a week ago.... so i disabled the PL tone for the
frequency and there was KSP. They are not coming over their UHF APCO-25
frequencies or the VHF high porta "Analog" frequency, Just 159.090.
Also i have seen on the FCC file where they have about a dozen new
frequencies listed for KSP in the 800 Mhz. band. I have put these in my
scanner, but not yet herd any traffic. I know it was a "slow growth"
system, but it is now installed on the Dorton and Phelps towers.

ShawnCowden

Shawn,
No the machine guning is from where i had my scanner set with the PL tone on for that frequency. With digital you can't set a PL tone... you just get maching guning. It is usally at night, and there is no encryption. I hear both sides. Lastnight i set the 159.0900 frequency for KSP on "Primary" mode on my scanner. When the trooper was talking to the base i could hear the UHF radio in the back ground with diffrent traffic, so this is weird. It's not interference from the 154.6650 frequency they use. They use it for CI, and child welfare checks etc.. If it was encrypted i could still hear it." thanks to friends in the military" Theres a new tower went up about 2 miles from my house in KY. I live on the border in WV., but can see the tower from the top of my house... maybe they put up a antenna there. I have a friend who is a trooper in pikeville, but got sent to LA. to help out there... so i can't ask him. He said they were having a lot of trouble with the UHF digital, and were going to make some changes. I have herd the radio in his car, and most of the time the digital is awful.... It either sounds like a "thousand leagues(SP) under the sea" or nothing but machine gunning. They have to use a little analog handheld VHF high to communicate with Pikeville. But forget about hearing it through the day, only at night, but i can't listen through the day all the time either. I thought someone else might be hearing it also. I'm just wondering.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Shawn they have been on this frequency all day today and i tend to agree i think they have seen that uhf does not cut the mustard in east ky,But it's for real they are using that frequency and it is apco 25..

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
ShawnCowden said:
huh so is all the traffic on that freq now or can u still pick up UHF freq for that post ?
Uhf and Vhf i thought i was losing my mind when i heard them on vhf i double checked everything and all i can say is they must have installed a vhf system for when they hit there dead spot's hoping this will solve the problem's they have had on uhf..i will keep you informed

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
ADDED REQUEST (after original post):
Could someone kinda close to KSP Pikeville see if there are any other VHF freqs that have the same transmissions on them.... thanx!

Found some interesting stuff in the FCC data base: KSP Hazard has a freq of 159.075 (WQAS322) that appears to be a fixed point.... there is a related license with Breathitt County Fire (KNHV343) that is listed as an interoperability freq with KSP Hazard...
on the WQAS322 listing in ULS this is the eligibility notation:

90.20 - AGENCY PROVIDES 911 PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCH FOR REGIONAL 911 RESPONDERS. THE PURPOSE OF 458.8625 IS TO ALLOW KSP TO HAVE INTEROPERABILITY WITH WPRH332 LICENSED TO LETCHER COUNTY FOR USE BY THEIR POLICE, FIRE AND EMS.

If someone who lives nearby could do a search and see if there are other VHF freqs in use that might help... but at this point I can't find anything listed for KSP Pikeville....

Plz keep in mind, the new 800 meg freqs listed for KSP in the east aren't really new.... most of them are part of the statewide Mobile Data System....

collier

Last edited:

dwh367

KSP Multicast Questions

Does a person only need to enter the closest KSP tower into their scanner in order to hear all the traffic for that particular post? The only tower I can receive is the one in Cloverport (Post 16 and Post 4 both have transmitters located on it) and it seems to me that I'm hearing all the traffic from both posts, on their respective frequencies, from that particular tower. Is this indeed the way they have their multicast system set up or am I drawing the wrong conclusion? If so does it also work the same way on their alternate frequencies?

Have A Happy Thanksgiving!
David H.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
David

You are pretty much correct.

The Cloverport site has four frequencies, each one corresponding to a specific channel:
Post 04 Dispatch
Post 04 Alternate
Post 16 Dispatch
Post 16 Alternate

KSP's system is set up to transmit simultaneously on all towers for a given post on each channel (Alternate or Dispatch). When a trooper keys up on Dispatch, for example, all the towers in that post transmit (on the specific, unique frequency for the transmitter site).

The old system did not have this capability, so dispatchers had to relay messages from different sides of a post region. Not so with the current system - troopers can communicate post wide. You'll notice some pretty amazing range with this system, especially from your location - being able to hear KSP from Henderson to Elizabethtown.

I'd suggest you also put in the Sacramento site and see if you can hear KSP Madisonville.

HOLEBILLY

Ky state police

How do you program your scanner for ky state police apco 25 system? Conv or Mot

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I'll take a stab at this since you're still logged on, but I'm just going by the info in the database. It says it is APCO 25 compliant, but not trunked. I would "assume" that if you have a digital scanner, the system would be entered as conventional since it is not trunked.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
HOLEBILLY said:
How do you program your scanner for ky state police apco 25 system? Conv or Mot

As it has been stated here many times before and as we also have listed in the RR.com database KSP is conventional not trunked. So you want to use Conventional. You will only need to use Motorola when you are monitoring a trunked system.
Hope this helps!
Happy Thanksgiving,
Marshall KE4ZNR

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
ShawnCowden said:
Can u email me on how I can listen to your scanner ?
just download the proscan client software and go to the scanner over ip tab and doubleclik the scanky.no-ip.info tab then click start and your set but first choose the scanner type in the dropdown box mine is the 796d..