KSP dropping 10-codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

red8

shawn,
i live in louisiana, where we have parishes instead of counties, anyway there is a parish where they dropped their dispatch signals and started speaking in plain english due to hazmat and disasters such as katrina among multiple first responders due to the fact all the
other agencies dispatch signals vary. so i can see why they may do away the codes .
red8
bc 396t & bc 796d

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
ShawnCowden said:
Kentucky State Police here are waiting to hear from Frankfort about implementing plain language. There goes 10-codes and I suspect there goes encrypted radios :(

Agencies all over the country are doing away with 10-codes in favor of clear-text. I don't think you'll need to worry about it being a pre-cursor to encrypted radios.

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
I know this was about KSP 10 codes...but does anyone know of any other agency's dropping the 10 codes? Here in Laurel County we still use them regularly. We was told that the only time we don't use the 10 codes is in multi-district responses.

psol113

and the reason being that most conveninal scanners can't recive digital signal's,

that's what the new viper system here in north carolina is doing going plain language and dropping the 10-code's and signal system codes due to more use of there M,D,T,'S

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
psol113 said:
and the reason being that most conveninal scanners can't recive digital signal's,

that's what the new viper system here in north carolina is doing going plain language and dropping the 10-code's and signal system codes due to more use of there M,D,T,'S

You could not be more wrong...having lived in both KY & NC (and being the forum mod for both of these forums) I need to correct the above...the reason for using plain language has nothing to do with a system being analog or digital...as mentioned in some of the above posts the reason for using plain language is due to the fact there is so many variations on 10 codes/signals...as for the State of NC "VIPER" system most local agencies operating in a digital format are still using some form of 10 codes/signals....yes, there are agreements in place to use plain language instead of 10 codes for situations that require a multi-agency response but that has nothing to do with whether or not the talkgroup is analog or digital....
Hope this helps you better understand this issue psol113!
Happy Monitoring,
Marshall KE4ZNR

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps this will help clarify the situation, quoting from the link shown below:

"It is required that plain English be used for multi-agency, multi-jurisdiction and multi-discipline events, such as major disasters and exercises. Beginning in the fiscal year that starts on Oct. 1, 2006, federal preparedness grant funding is contingent on the use of plain English in incidents requiring assistance from responders from other agencies, jurisdictions and functional disciplines."

Here is the link to the Kentucky Homeland security page with the "Plain Language" Memo:
http://homelandsecurity.ky.gov/NR/r...1C00B4/0/PlainLanguageUpdateapproved21006.pdf

psol113

I was misinformed

I was told by a North carolina State Trooper

" The reason that they were dropping the 10-code's and signals was that most covn scanners could not recive the VIPER system"

But thanks for clearing that up

Scott
Nebo, NC.

INFO Provided by G-253

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
No problem....he was just going on what he thought was the reason for change....but what I said above is the real reason...besides, NCSHP operates in Analog mode on the VIPER system (at least until VIPER gets fully up and running which will take a few more years) not digital so any trunktracking scanner can pick up NCSHP :cool:
Let's get back to KY Scanning...anything more about NC/VIPER can be taken over to the NC forum...thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

psol113 said:
I was told by a North carolina State Trooper

" The reason that they were dropping the 10-code's and signals was that most covn scanners could not recive the VIPER system"

But thanks for clearing that up

Scott
Nebo, NC.

INFO Provided by G-253

Status
Not open for further replies.