L-Tronics LL16 receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince64

Hi Gents,

I'm not really sure this is the correct page to share with you this thread.
I tried to purchase LL16 from L-tronics.
Since 1 year, no news from L-Tronics.

Does some one know where I could purchase some similar VHF/UHF airband direction finder products.

Many thanks

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If you're not already aware, here is the web page for Ltronics... Home

It appears as if production of the LL-16 has ceased. The page was last updated in 2015. Have you tried calling the company? There is a telephone number listed.

Good luck.

John

I recently sent two of our units for repair, it appears it is a one person operation and only does repairs. Took about a month to get them back. If someone wanted to start a business and build handheld DF VHF sets there is a market out there.

Hi Gehts,
Many thanks for your attention !
I will continue to look for similar device.

Unfortunately, this is a niche market mostly dominated by the Civil Air Patrol, and their use of DF equipment - and their number of ELT missions, themselves, are waning, thanks to 406 MHz beacons.

Your best bet is building one of your own. You can use any FM capable receiver that will tune to your frequency as the receiver block of what you're making. The rest is not hard at all. There are many articles based on interferometry.

I recommend a book by Moell and Curlee, Transmitter hunting: Radio direction finding simplified. ISBN number 0-8306-2701-4. One of the authors (K0OV) sells the book directly.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Radio direction finding or fox hunting is a very popular part of the amateur radio hobby. You can find many articles online about this. Also, specialized receivers are not required - just directional antennas. Take a look at Arrow Antennas' offerings as an example.

I am personally acquainted with the owners of L-tronics. I think they are winding down the business due to lower demand (satellite location in the 406 band) and advancing age which has slowed them down.

Status
Not open for further replies.