LA County Air 7 helo at Brackett Airport in LA Verne CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectr17

LA County Sheriff Air 7 helo at Brackett Airport in LA Verne CA

Some video of LA County Sheriff Air 7 at Brackett Airport.

LA County Sheriff Air 7 helicopter taking off at Brackett Airfield in La Verne CA - YouTube

la_county_sheriff_helo_cockpit_pilot_brackett.jpg

la_county_sheriff_air1_logo_brackett.jpg

la_county_sheriff_helo_hangar_helo_brackett.jpg

la_county_sheriff_helo_rside_brackett.jpg

la_county_sheriff_hangar_wings_brackett.jpg

Last edited:

scottyhetzel

Does anyone know if this air unit handles walnut / San Dimas station or industry station ? It would make sense since Bracket field is extreme East county ?

I noticed the uniden 15x / 996 unit in the dash too... Video was sweet too.

PaulNDaOC

If the copter is deployed as Air 7 it covers the entire LA Basin on Day shift.

There is not a dedicated LASD Air unit for just the east county.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does anyone know if this air unit handles walnut / San Dimas station or industry station ? It would make sense since Bracket field is extreme East county ?

I noticed the uniden 15x / 996 unit in the dash too... Video was sweet too.

The Undien unit would be a bcd996xt since it would have trunking capabiltiy and P25 reception for anything that would be needed for monitoring from the air in the LA County area. Pluse the screen has a green tint which would indicate a 996xt. Nice... GO Uniden

spectr17

The sheriff helo at Industry moved their ops to Brackett about 6 months ago. They share a hangar with LA Co Fire upstairs.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I thought all LASD air assets were based out of Long Beach, and places like Brackett and North County facilities were only forward facilities that could be used as needed but had no aircraft permanently based there. Is my assumption wrong?

spectr17

I'll ask about the callsign. I know there are several sheriff helos at the Brackett hangar now and they've set up crew quarters there. Air 7 was there that day along with another helo on the ramp and they had one in the hangar. They also have an LA County Fire MDT they use for dispatch calls when Air 5 is on station there. LA County Fire Ops is upstairs, crew quarters and a fire MDT to receive calls on. They usually only have one fire helo at Brackett when it's manned, I've never seen them store a fire helo in that hangar, they fly back to Camp 2 in La Canada at end of day usually.

jrholm

I thought Air 140 ( Industry station) would handle that East valley... Is there an Air 140 anymore ? Argus ? Skynight ?

There is no Air 140 or Argus. Skyknight is stationed out of Lakewood as all the contract cities there pay specifically for that air coverage.

LASD aero call signs are Air 1 (any department aircraft carrying the Sheriff), Air 5 (rescue bird), Air 7 would be a basin dayshift patrol bird, call signs in the 20's are pm shift patrol birds. There are a few more that I can't recall off the top of my head like the north county airships.

scottyhetzel

There is no Air 140 or Argus. Skyknight is stationed out of Lakewood as all the contract cities there pay specifically for that air coverage.

LASD aero call signs are Air 1 (any department aircraft carrying the Sheriff), Air 5 (rescue bird), Air 7 would be a basin dayshift patrol bird, call signs in the 20's are pm shift patrol birds. There are a few more that I can't recall off the top of my head like the north county airships.

"Any dept. carrying the sheriff" You mean when the actual sheriff is in the helo ? Please explain...

PaulNDaOC

Air 1 is any aero unit with Sheriff Baca on board. Car 1 if Baca is in a vehicle.

Further on air unit designators: Air 29 would be an air unit working AV/Santa Clarita (SCT).

109A Malibu/Lost Hills on that rare occasion.

There was an earlier reference to ARGUS ( Air Rescie Ground Unit Support) which was a contracted air unit in the 70's, maybe 80's contracted by Norwalk,LM, Pico Rivera,SFS, and South El monte to name some,

scottyhetzel

Aero

Air 1 is any aero unit with Sheriff Baca on board. Car 1 if Baca is in a vehicle.

Further on air unit designators: Air 29 would be an air unit working AV/Santa Clarita (SCT).

109A Malibu/Lost Hills on that rare occasion.

There was an earlier reference to ARGUS ( Air Rescie Ground Unit Support) which was a contracted air unit in the 70's, maybe 80's contracted by Norwalk,LM, Pico Rivera,SFS, and South El monte to name some,

So basically 4 air units for LASD ? Really ? We have to be missing one air unit ?
1- Lakewood skylight
2- air 7 basin area
3- Malibu 109a
4-air 29 sta clarity

jrholm

So basically 4 air units for LASD ? Really ? We have to be missing one air unit ?
1- Lakewood skylight
2- air 7 basin area
3- Malibu 109a
4-air 29 sta clarity

During the day there is usually one air ship up in the basin (not counting SkyKnight) that's air 7. At night there is usually at least 2 sometimes more. They would typically be Air 21 thru Air 24.

scottyhetzel

Got the full skinny on LASD air support:

They staff two patrol aircraft on days Air 7 and 8 in the basin. Air 19 handles north county. Start times in the basin are staggered for coverge. This is to cover breaks and food breaks. The first pm ship in the basin is Air 21 which launches when Air 8 is coming down for the day. The remaining basin ships during the night are : 22,23 and 24. They also stagger for coverage. Air 29 is the North Co. Airship on pm watch. They launch as Air 19 is coming down for the day.

During late spring and summer there is extra coverge from memorial day thru labor day, an Eurocopter AS-350 B2 astar is based in malibu on the West side of the Co.. The ship handles beach, mountain highway along with fire watch.

How patrol aircraft are utilized is actually simple, provide direct support for ground unit deputies and commanders. Setting up containments during or after incidents where suspects have fled, providing aerial support during vehicle pursuits too.

There is a radiation pod for copter skids used for large crown event to detect bombs. Also special equipped survellance copters too. They also handle sniper missions for the S.E.B. tactical team.

There are 15) AS-350's and 2) for training....
Super puma Air 5 resides at barley flats in the angles national forest.

spectr17

Thanks for the info Paul, JR & Scotty.

If I get up to Barley Flats anytime soon I'll shoot some pics there.

Status
Not open for further replies.