LA County Sheriff "Beep" gone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Station51

Been listening to various dispatch freqs of Los Angeles County Sheriff and the "beep,beep,beep" that indicates that a field unit is transmitting is gone.
They are at this moment in full duplex and the units are able to be heard. Oddly there is a lot of feedback from time to time, must be rough if you're wearing a headset.
They had stated that the beep would go away months ago, but it didn't happen. Don't know if this is permanent or an experiment, but its a nice change (minus the feedback lol)

LOL 18 minutes after this post the beep is back on all dispatch channels,, Oh well.

Last edited:

n1das

I recall hearing the LASO busy tones aka beeps back in the late 1970s on the old 39MHz VHF Lo-band channels. I listened to them many times in Hanover NH via low band skip during the 1979 sunspot maximum. I was listening on an Electra Bearcat 210 scanner using just the supplied whip antenna. It made for some great listening back then.

It sounds like not much has changed except for the radio technology used.

Station51

I recall hearing the LASO busy tones aka beeps back in the late 1970s on the old 39MHz VHF Lo-band channels. I listened to them many times in Hanover NH via low band skip during the 1979 sunspot maximum. I was listening on an Electra Bearcat 210 scanner using just the supplied whip antenna. It made for some great listening back then.

It sounds like not much has changed except for the radio technology used.

Nope, but that's a good thing!
Other than the transition to the 480 Mhz band in the 80's I think, It hasn't changed.
They have repeater tac channels "L TAC" which is an improvement.
I monitor them from about 70 miles away, sometimes on my Motorola GP300.
The "busy tone" is alive and well this morning.

cmdrwill

When the RTO, dispatcher, turns 'the patch' on, then the mobile/portable is repeated.

Usually used when other units would benefit from the mobile/portable' radio traffic, and the RTO does not have to repeat information.
IE suspect information, crime 'broadcast'.

Station51

Yes, I'm familiar with that practice but at the time in question it was routine traffic and on all dispatch freqs. One of the RTO's mentioned a TECH working and asked all units to stand by. Maybe there was just some kind of glitch. Everything returned to "normal" shortly thereafter.

jrholm

Frequently during maintenance or other problems, the department goes to self dispatch. At that time SCC is taken out of the loop and everything comes from the station desk directly. During that period the busy tone is dropped. Once they go back to normal operations, the busy tone comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.