LA-RICS interstitial licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgower

Premium Subscriber
MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

FCC Grants L.A. County Extension Until End-October to Analyze LA-RICS (10/4/12)

The FCC granted the County of Los Angeles waiver request in part and extended the county’s construction deadline until Oct. 31, subject to conditions.

Los Angeles County requested a waiver to extend from June 30, 2012, to June 30, 2013, the construction deadline associated with 20 narrowband UHF licenses that are to be integrated into the Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS). In the alternative, the county requested an extension until Oct. 31, 2012 to complete an analysis of its options for continuation of LA-RICS in light of Section 6103 of the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012.

The county has received four extensions for the licenses, citing an expanding scope of the project and funding and planning issues. Under the most recent waiver, the licenses were set to expire June 30, 2012.

The FCC noted that any future request by the county for additional extensions would be “subject to a high level of scrutiny and must include a showing that the county has made substantial progress towards completion of the system.”

The county cites the FCC’s waiver of narrowbanding requirements for T-band licensees in light of the Spectrum Act. The commission agreed with the county’s argument, because under the T-band narrowbanding waiver, the county’s operational wideband licenses that are authorized on main frequencies interleaved with the narrowband frequencies may remain in wideband mode beyond Jan. 1, 2013. The bandwidth overlap of the county’s wideband channels with the interleaved narrowband channels would prevent new applicants in the vicinity from using the narrowband channels if they were otherwise available.

If the county elects to pursue an extension, the FCC said it must file a report with the FCC by Oct. 31, detailing the status of the county’s efforts to select a vendor and finalize all contracts to begin construction, how quickly the county could begin construction of the LA-RICS system and how long construction would take. “We also note that further requests for extension by the county will be subject to a high level of scrutiny and must include a detailed showing that the county has made substantial progress towards completion of the system,” the FCC said.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
So if the FCC is for sure taking back the entire T-band spectrum from public safety by 2020 (or whenever the deadline is), and essentially evicting LAPD, LASD and LA County Fire from their existing licenses (not to mention ICIS and quite a few counties in the bay area), why on earth are they pushing ahead with LA-RICS on T-band??? :confused:

shawn1899

So dgower, what is the county looking at doing for the project? Still straight t-band, hybrid, or scraping it all together..

And maybe it might just be easier to take the existing sheriff, lapd, county fire channels and turn the existing sites into trunked cell sites and just join them into icis.. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work and there would be great coverage with the already existing icis sites. Why is the county reinventing the wheel???

sent from my galaxy SIII

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
So if the FCC is for sure taking back the entire T-band spectrum from public safety by 2020 (or whenever the deadline is), and essentially evicting LAPD, LASD and LA County Fire from their existing licenses (not to mention ICIS and quite a few counties in the bay area), why on earth are they pushing ahead with LA-RICS on T-band??? :confused:

Nothing is "for sure" on the T-Band issue, hence the ambiguity. While the law requires the FCC to move public safety off T-Band, it requires the move to be to suitable spectrum. Can anyone ID around three hundred frequency pairs that are currently unused in the L.A. County area to move the current Public Safety off to? How about the Business / Industrial users in TV-14 and -20?

Once you solve L.A., how about the other 10 metro areas on T-Band?

The national public safety community is currently assessing the options, and the impacts of the current law.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Interesting, thanks! I guess the worry is, if they spend millions on UHF subscriber radios and repeaters, only to be told they'll have to be a 700/800 system (essentially doubling the costs by purchasing two back to back systems). If they build out a T-band system and then end up in 470 MHz or 506 MHz, sure it would be expensive to re-engineer, but I'd imagine it would be more akin to the cost of "rebanding" and reprogramming all the user radios (rather than buying all new equipment). As always, I only sort of know what I'm talking about, hence the question. :)

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
And maybe it might just be easier to take the existing sheriff, lapd, county fire channels and turn the existing sites into trunked cell sites and just join them into icis.. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work and there would be great coverage with the already existing icis sites. Why is the county reinventing the wheel???
If you look at the the early concept and planning documents, (I think they're still online, if not I've probably got them saved) what you're suggesting - using the various agencies' and potential agencies' existing sites and infrastructure - has been very much a part of the idea, for technical/coverage reasons and of course economics. ICIS was specifically referenced as a sort of "model" for what they were envisioning on a countywide scale, with ICIS being a part of it. So it's more like expanding on the ICIS "wheel" idea rather than inventing a new one.

The risk in reinventing the wheel is that if you're not careful sometimes it comes out square.

Last edited:

It OK, I'm sure LASO can find 20 narrowband pairs somewhere in the 6MHz they got a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.