Lack of SDS100 & SDS200 owners in Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac8fm

According to RR it's not encrypted (yet). But I'd love it if someone could verify.

Hit_Factor

I'm thinking Beaumont Hospitals as well as others would be encrypted these days if not in the near future due to HIPPA privacy concerns/laws.
I was thinking the traffic is far more operational than medical, i.e.

Security please meet individual at the Woodward entrance.

Maintenance the A/C isn't working in Mr. Smith's office.

Housekeeping please prepare room 411.

I'm just guessing. A friend of mine is a Dr. there, I could ask him what he knows.

ac8fm

Yeah there's no way PHI is going over the air waves. I went ahead and purchased the silly NXDN upgrade and I've been scanning them exclusively for about 20 mins now, notta. Just shows 4 "bars", and flashes RAN: 1, anyone know how to get this to display Encrypted or something along those lines?

I was hoping for at least some decent security action but that's probably pretty unusual at Beaumont anyway, "Patient in room 203 just stole 200 percocets from the pharmacy and after chomping them all down he's now running around naked on Dequindre!"

I'll keep scanning.

Hit_Factor

Enter them in as non-trunked ( single freq) can't remember exact terminology, add all the freqs to the system except the control channel.

That takes away the LCN part of the equation. Gives you a little time to mess with the trunked setup.

ac8fm

Simplex? Okay yeah I'll give that a shot. One of the reasons I love this radio is the location based scanning. Unfortunately if RR isn't up to date, it somewhat defeats the purpose. I've found a few schools that are definitely DMR that are still listed as NFM. I'll have to start adding to the DB.
@Hit_Factor, this is off topic but how do you like the ID-5100A and how do you like it's ability to monitor repeaters based on location? I've been contemplating getting one but the screen turns me off. But the Yaesu seems like it's gone backwards about 20 years in tech, no memory banks? wth, and the Kenwood looks nice, but no GPS monitoring. So I'm torn.

@iMONITOR I didn't think about the elevation here compared to RO, that's a very good point..

Hit_Factor

I have a pair of the 5100s, base and mobile. In SW Michigan DStar is prevalent. Not to mention one of the two Icom repair centers is a short walk from my house.

You can add any analog 2m or 70cm repeater to the location based bank. It's not just for DStar, although it's preprogrammed with worldwide DStar repeaters (you should update the list from dstar.info). I trimmed out all of the non-US repeaters. They are easy enough to add if I need them. Ample memory banks.

I have no complaints and I like the large touchscreen. I don't recall using any buttons on the mic other than PTT.

Cat 6 ethernet cable may be used to extend the mic from the body. I used extra length in both installs. The head to body cable is quite long.

I love my sds 200. I am here in Michigan.

You and me both! Just moved into Macomb county and haven't had a lick of problems setting it up via GPS or even experiencing the hum issue. Although I am having audio level differences but that can be delt with..

Xray

Can the handheld handle the input of a discone ? I know back in the day it would have been unthinkable to hook up a bast station antenna to a handheld but alot has changed .... Am trying to figure if i should get a 100 or 200.

Hit_Factor

Can the handheld handle the input of a discone ? I know back in the day it would have been unthinkable to hook up a bast station antenna to a handheld but alot has changed .... Am trying to figure if i should get a 100 or 200.

I have a SDS100 connected to an outdoor discone, for about a year now. What makes you think it would be a problem?

Xray

I have a SDS100 connected to an outdoor discone, for about a year now. What makes you think it would be a problem?

Would have been an overload problem with a handheld back in 1999, just asking

flippus1

Old Timer
Premium Subscriber
I’m in St Clair Shores, and my SDS100 works good on my discone. But I use Remtronix rubber antenna and have very good results. My discone is amplified from they days of analog radio. With 800mhz, it’s not as much of an issue anymore. Rubber antenna should work good unless you are in an isolated area

Xray

I have since bought the 100 [along with Remtronix ] and though I have nothing to compare it to it pulls in alot of traffic, certainly alot more than the HP1. Hopefully I can muster up the motivation to scale my roof and mount the discone before winter sets in, I already have everything I need to do so.

Scobol

I picked up an SDS-200 a couple weeks ago, I'm in SE Michigan. Traditionally I have owned GRE and Whistler scanners, never really cared for the Uniden style of programming. I live in a county that uses simulcast towers, so far it seems to be working pretty good. I'm not exactly excited about giving Uniden business due to their support rep's smug attitude on this site, but with Whistler cancelling their latest line of new radio there really wasn't a great choice.

I've also owned Unication pagers, they worked great too, but suffered from battery and firmware issues (at least when I had mine).
Hello, I’m new to scanners. Does the sds200 work well in Macomb County? I live in Sterling Heights and was thinking of buying one. Thanks for any help.

Hit_Factor

Hello, I’m new to scanners. Does the sds200 work well in Macomb County? I live in Sterling Heights and was thinking of buying one. Thanks for any help.
The SDS series is the only scanner(s) that is designed for simulcast. It's your best bet in Macomb County.

govermentcheese

Premium Subscriber
I live in Berrien county Michigan my psr-800 works ok. I am also a ham i can not justify 600 to 700 dollars for a sds-100 without a microphone . Just my opinion. I also do not like rhe idea of paying for updates. I really do like this website a great bunch of people here. Everyone have a Blessed day and be safe. 73szzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.