• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Laird VHF/UHF/700/800 Mobile - Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Mobile Antenna to Base Kits - MBC800 & MBC both of which have radials which work as the ground plane. I have used one of these for a few years indoors and it works very well except I had to go back to a Yagi due to Simulcast Distortion on our new P25 system.

Last edited:

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
havent read the thread yet, but:

1. State of NM is using them on a lot of new installs. Usually splitting the 700/800 one direction and the VHF the other direction. Saves the roof space on vehicles, less install time, less holes in the vehicle.

2. My issued vehicle the last few months i was there had one split between the 110 watt VHF mobile and a vehicle charger/amplifier for my 800mhz portable. No complaints.

3. I've seen some state police vehicles with two of them. Not sure the internal configuration. Also some state IT vehicles have one or two that i've seen.

jfr

Anyone try the PCTel Wide Spectrum Multiband Antenna | PCTWSLMR? Motorola repackages it for their APX8500 mobile.

PCTEL

SentinelVT

Anyone try the PCTel Wide Spectrum Multiband Antenna | PCTWSLMR? Motorola repackages it for their APX8500 mobile.

PCTEL

We have one installed on our fire apparatus, attached to an APX8500. While we are only using the UHF and VHF bands, it seems to perform extremely well. Just as the Laird antenna, it is huge. I would never mount one to my personal vehicle, but for a fire apparatus it does not look out of place.

jfr

Thanks. They do a good job of hiding the size of those things in the brochures! Too good to be true.

-JR

SentinelVT

Thanks. They do a good job of hiding the size of those things in the brochures! Too good to be true.

-JR

Absolutely! It is extremely deceiving until you actually get your hands on one. Even the radio techs were surprised with its size. This happened to be one of there first APX8500 installs, so it was new to all of us.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

-JR

I haven't tried the PCTel, though that was on my list. I went with the Laird. And while yes, the base is big, it's not out of control unruly or anything, to be honest. Definitely bigger than they make it look in the brochure, but still not bad. ha ha! :) The 20" or so length helps things too.

I'm out of town currently, but I'll get a picture of it on my car when I get back. It really doesn't look bad.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I bought one each of those black eBay multibands that look like the Laird, $65 and $70, they list different gains. The $70 one with the coil on the whip gives slightly better RSSI on 800MHz than the selection of 5/8 wave 800MHz antennas I have...that really surprised me. It does very well on VHF, UHF is somewhat not as good, but better than UHF on a 5/8 800 or 1/4 VHF antenna for RX. The non coil $65 one doesn't do as well on 800, but has a slight advantage on UHF. The whip on the $70 looks like a 5/8 wave 800MHz, while the cheaper one has a whip that looks like a 1/2 wave UHF.

Paul

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i have one of those as well, its been serving as a scanner antenna. VHF and 700/800, i very rarely listen to VHF.

works well for recieve, significantly better then the 150/450/800 that it replaced, but only slightly taller.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
I've used it. It swept below 1.5:1 across the advertized bands, as well as ham 2m and 70cm. That was mounted mid-center on a pickup truck cab. I installed a few in a county in Florida, and haven't heard any of the water intrusion issues. That's very good price for it retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.