Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i am somewhat new to scanners and such but i would say i know the basics, any way, i have a pro-97 scanner. I would like some help getting good frequencies/ TG's for LO (lake Oswego). Most of you are thinking to redirect me to those database things, but i have spent HOURS on those and can rarely get LO to come in....
Could you help?? one possibility is they switched to the other type of radio system which mine scanner wont be able to handle..... but i can find that info either.
Any help/tips are appreciated!

Thanks

Bryan

mrhex

Your scanner doesn't support re-banding

Hello, i am somewhat new to scanners and such but i would say i know the basics, any way, i have a pro-97 scanner. I would like some help getting good frequencies/ TG's for LO (lake Oswego). Most of you are thinking to redirect me to those database things, but i have spent HOURS on those and can rarely get LO to come in....
Could you help?? one possibility is they switched to the other type of radio system which mine scanner wont be able to handle..... but i can find that info either.
Any help/tips are appreciated!

Thanks

Bryan

After consulting the RR wiki for your scanner model, I found that your scanner unfortunately does not support the re-banding of Motorola systems. Parts of Clackamas county seem to be in the re-banded area that affects the Motorola trunked systems.

Here is the system:
Washington County / Clackamas County Trunking System, Various, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies &
Clackamas County, Oregon (OR) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Just scroll down the page a little bit and you'll notice the Lake Oswego talkgroups. The wiki page for your scanner is here:
Pro-97 - The RadioReference Wiki

Hope that helps you a little bit.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Welcome to RadioReference.com, yeah this stuff can be overwhelming.

Lake Oswego is in Clackamas County; that is an important part of the puzzle here. I visit the area frequently, so I knew that. And Clackamas uses a Motorola trunked radio system (TRS). The link to that data is here.

Yeah they call this the "web" for a reason. Lots of strands all feeding to millions of other strands and none of them seem to lead where you want.

Here is what I see for the frequencies of the TRS, site 002:
866.2375, 866.3000, 866.4875, 866.8500, 867.1625, 867.1875, 867.4375 c, 867.8625 c, 868.2625 c, 868.7625 c. The four frequencies which end in 'c' are the 4 you'd normally program in to the scanner. But the problem is with the 2 frequencies I have marked in red. Transmissions on these frequencies can not be tracked by the PRO-97. You need a newer scanner to do that, I have a PSR-300 (PRO-164) which does the trick.

In the meantime, here is what I'd do with the PRO-97. Pick a bank for this TRS. Program in the TGs you want for Lake Oswego. Set the bank to MO. Set the bank to CLOSED (unless you want to hear everything on the TRS and not just the TGs you've programmed). Make sure the sub-groups for the TGs you want are ON and that the individual TGs are not locked out.

Program the following frequencies (I am using bank 1 for my example, use what you want):
100 867.4375 MOT
101 867.8625 MOT
102 868.2625 MOT
103 868.7625 MOT
104 866.3000 FM
105 866.8500 FM

After getting this programmed, press MAN 1 0 0 MAN and then step through the frequencies. You should hear the control channel on one of the first four frequencies. Make sure it is not locked out. The 4th line of the display should give you a %% reading of how well it is getting the data. A signal below about 25% does not work well. Hopefully you are getting at least 50%. If another site of the TRS is closer, we'll have to revisit the specific frequencies being used.

Once ready to listen, press SCAN. Make sure bank 1 (or the bank you used) is displayed. A '-' below the bank number indicates the bank is closed. The idea here is that if the system assigns a signal to the frequencies in 104 or 105, you can pick it up "conventionally". When that happens you will not see who it is (the TG ID). This is a work-around and should give you something to hear.

Last edited:
Thanks

thanks!
so just make sure i did it right...
I put the freq's in bank 8.... and tg's....
turned bank 8 freqs off.... using func-delay...
Press scan

have i done everything right?
thanks!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
thanks!
so just make sure i did it right...
I put the freqs in bank 8.... and tgs....
OK.

turned bank 8 freqs off....
What do you mean?

using func-delay...
FUNC . or FUNC DELAY toggles the bank from OPEN to CLOSED. If the bank is OPEN, you will hear all traffic on the TRS. If the bank is CLOSED, you will only hear traffic for the TGs you have programmed that are not locked out and in sub-groups which are ON.

Press scan

have i done everything right?
What did you hear? Were you able to pick up the control channel as I suggested?

almost..?!?!

sorry, what i meant to say is that i closed bank 8 ( the bank i used to store freq's and tg's...

after closing bank 8 and entering freq's and tg's, nothing comes across.... open it and all sorts of tg's come across... i think there is one thing i am missing, because i used a different bank with all sorts of cities and labeled talk groups and nothing came across when its closed. but open it takes all tg's....

If that paragraph didn't make sense: when closed nothing happens, when open everything come through....

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If you are hearing conversations with the bank OPEN, that sounds like the trunking is working. Although you never answered my question regarding the control channel. Are you receiving it? What kind of percentage do you see?

If you are in fact receiving the control channel satisfactorily, then the issue has to do with TGs and/or how they are programmed. Since you are using bank 8 for the frequencies, the TGs must be in bank 8 too.

Are you entering this stuff manually, or are you using software? If using software, which software are you using?

In MAN mode, press 8 0 0 MAN. Now press FUNC T. Press T repeatedly until the display shows "ID Bank 8-0 ...." - does it display "ON" or "OFF"? If OFF, press FUNC 1. Press T again to see "ID Bank 8-1 ..." - is this group ON or OFF? If OFF press FUNC 1. Do this for 8-0 to 8-4. When done, press SCAN and try again.

DickH

Here are the Fire Talk Groups for Lake O. If you want the other 50+ Clackamas Talk Groups, send me a Private Message with your e-mail address and I'll send you the list.

DickH

Here are the Fire Talk Groups for Lake O. If you want the other 50+ Clackamas Talk Groups, send me a Private Message with your e-mail address and I'll send you the list.

Sorry, I got sidetracked and forgot to add them.
51056 LOCOM FIRE Dispatch
51344 C-COM FIRE OPS-22
51312 C-COM FIRE OPS-23
51280 C-COM FIRE OPS-24
51248 C-COM FIRE OPS-25
51216 C-COM FIRE OPS-26
51184 C-COM FIRE OPS-27
51152 C-COM FIRE OPS-28

Hey sorry i haven't replied in a while, i signed up with an email that i never check...

I don't seem to pick up a control channel anymore.... used to and got sometimes 25%...but that was indoors, i was going to try to go out side or get a better antenna and try to get more %... but now i am not picking it up at all. I don't know why... But i think i have done every single thing you have told me and nothing comes in... I was thinking maybe i would just need to be outside but i cant even pick up the control anymore... I don't know what to do....

Thanks!

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Hey sorry i haven't replied in a while, i signed up with an email that i never check...

I don't seem to pick up a control channel anymore.... used to and got sometimes 25%...but that was indoors, i was going to try to go out side or get a better antenna and try to get more %... but now i am not picking it up at all. I don't know why... But i think i have done every single thing you have told me and nothing comes in... I was thinking maybe i would just need to be outside but i cant even pick up the control anymore... I don't know what to do....

Thanks!

Welcome back!

Within the last month, the Clackamas County frequencies have been "rebanded". Double check on the database page Washington County / Clackamas County Trunking System, Various, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies and make sure that you are using the new frequencies. You will also need to program a custom band plan because this system is now using the rebanded frequencies.

Lake Oswego PD (well, more specifically LOCOM LAW 1) is relatively active.

Looks like you'll need to follow the same instructions as found in post #3 of this thread, amended with the new frequencies.

Let us know if we can help any more!

thank you! I found out something very weird... i didn't pick up anything with the clack freq's so entered i entered some from the washington co. and now it works, only with the Washington co. freq's... idk why that is but i KNOW that i am picking Lake O up Only on Washington co...

thanks i am SO glad this works.... i have had this scanner for 4 years and today i have found out how to use it and it works.... thanks to ALL of you who have helped, you have helped me listen into my own town... not only is that cool, this is what my dream job is(firefighter/police).... so you have helped a TON

Again thanks!

DickH

thank you! I found out something very weird... i didn't pick up anything with the clack freq's so entered i entered some from the washington co. and now it works, only with the Washington co. freq's... idk why that is but i KNOW that i am picking Lake O up Only on Washington co... ... !

If you tell us the exact freqs. you have put in, both for Clackamas and Wash., we may be able to figure out how you can listen properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.