Land Cruiser news setup (warning: 20 pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you all for the nice comments and ideas!

Do you guys know if bumperchute.com has got a suitable model for my Land Cruiser? The only ones I found on their website were for models with either two back doors or one lift up door.. Those thing look really cool and useful. I'd like to buy one if there is a suitable model for my truck.

uncertain, but their Customer service folks are very friendly and would be of more help to you and even if they don't, could direct you to someone else who does.

Quick question, how was the black diamond studded plate assembled on the roof (specifically) attaching to the luggage rack? Most excellent idea, I am considering that concept on my Sport trac.

K

kb0nly

One question on this amazing setup...

What is the units used to pass the cables through the roof?? Looks like some kind of sealed cable passthrough. Who makes them? I know people that have been trying to find something like that for years..

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
One question on this amazing setup...

What is the units used to pass the cables through the roof?? Looks like some kind of sealed cable passthrough. Who makes them? I know people that have been trying to find something like that for years..

I'm pretty sure I've seen those on emergency vehicles, most of the times for the wire that goes to the lightbar

newsactive

Sorry for the long delay in my answers, but here we go:

How are you doing it with your setup? Is it live digital on a special frequency band that is going to a specific news service and then being distributed or are you streaming the feed via wireless internet via GSM or BGAN??? Do you produce everything in the field, record, and then download?

There are a couple of MPEG2/4 live encoders inside the truck cabinet that can be routed into any of the trucks' networks. The realtime stream (latency approx. 150ms) goes to the broadcast center via private IP network and can be routed further from there if needed.

Depending on the location and availability I choose the network that gives best speed. Typically in the capital area I use WiMAX since it's 12/12 Mbps.

BGAN is only a backup of a backup in Finland. Usually I take it with me on trips abroad. We used BGAN exstensively in Haiti last january for sending news stories back to home and for making phone calls etc.

(There is a photo gallery about our Haiti trip: Kuvauskeikalla Haitissa 14.01.2010 - 20.01.2010 and a blog: blog.breakingnews.fi (sorry, it's only in Finnish, but feel free to try Google Translator ;-) )

Unfortunately I have no idea. The company that built my truck had them and I had no part in choosing those. That same company also provided the working lights in the back. Dynawatt

Nice looking rig.

Who makes the antennas? By chance, are they from Panorama?

They are from different manufacturers depenging on the band and purpose. I ordered all antennas from Bandercom - The World wide supplier of communication equipment .

1150RT-P

Premium Subscriber
Yes, there were no Land Cruisers available here with a lift up door. :)

My Tahoe had a lift up door and I have to admit that I miss it when it rains.

I might have some pics of the previous setup. It was nothing as fancy as this though. :)

it appears that the Land Cruiser here would be a 4Runner or Lexus GX. The transmission and 4x4 control appear to be out of the smaller SUV parts bin.

Can anyone speak to this?

Regardless, nice truck and fantastic setup - even though most of it is over my head. :twisted:

newsactive

it appears that the Land Cruiser here would be a 4Runner or Lexus GX. The transmission and 4x4 control appear to be out of the smaller SUV parts bin.

4Runner is a different model. They sell 4Runners here as well. It might be a little bit bigger than Land Cruiser but it's way too ugly.. ;)

Lexus GX looks like a Land Cruiser to me.

All Land Cruisers here are sold as real 4x4 models and I bought mine with automatic transmission. (If you look at the pictures, you'll see two gear shifts. One is for automatic transmission and the second one for 4x4 options). DAC and HAC are also included, altough I've never had to actually use them.

wd9cms

Thanks for the reply....I think that its great to have the ability to stream digital video from your vehicle. Your link looks like you went through quite an ordeal in Haiti. The Began terminal looks like it worked well for you. The Land Cruiser again looks great!!!

Bill

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin

Can anyone speak to this?

Regardless, nice truck and fantastic setup - even though most of it is over my head. :twisted:

I believe it is the same platform as the 4Runner, that is a Land Cruiser 120, I had one in Panama. It is the same as the Lexus GX with the exception of the interior quality and some sheetmetal.

The 4WD system might be different, as most of them (at least the one I had, a 2006 VX), if not all, have a hybrid AWD/4WD system, where the truck has 4 positions on the 4WD selector, H, HL, N, LL. It means high, high (center diff locked), neutral and low (center diff locked). H is for everyday driving, and the center differential is unlocked and the truck works like an AWD vehicle. For rough terrain, switch to either HL or LL (equivalent of 4HI, 4LO), that locks the center diff and the truck has real 4WD, in some markets a rear locking diff was available, and I believe it is possible to fit ARB units in both.

The one pictured here seems to have the H N L shifter with the center diff lock activated with a button on the center console (ours had blank covers in all those switches), that might be the case for all the European ones (I remember that kind of setup being pictured in a 4X4 magazine from Spain).

And optionwise, you could end up with a vehicle that is nearly as good as the Lexus (probably just with the lack of a Mark Levinson audio system and wooden inserts on the steering wheel).

nzoliver

In Australia the Land Cruiser is a completely different car, the model you have is known as a Prado here.

I drive a Nissan X Trail and the rear lift up door really helps in bad weather. Any pics of the tahoe would be great, i am in the process of getting my car set up and any ideas help.

With your screen showing all the 112 calls, is this only for media or can anyone find it? Do the emergency services all run Analog radio there?

It actually is techincally a Landcruiser Prado. Same here in NZ. But most in Oz and NZ just call them Prados :)

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
In the US market that's an Lexus LX570, according to Wikipedia; it's a Land Cruiser 200 over there.

I'm curious: is that diamondplate on the roof a step? I wouldn't think the mounting would support that much weight.

newsactive

I'm curious: is that diamondplate on the roof a step? I wouldn't think the mounting would support that much weight.

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. Yes, it has steel supporting brackets (or whatever they're called..) and the roof platform can handle the weight of one person easily. That was one of the reasons I decided to go with a platform instead of mounting everything directly into the roof.

The empty space in the middle of the platform is also a good place to put the BGAN antenna when in use so that nobody will accidentally walk in front of it and block the satellite signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.