LAPD Ambulance Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnjtechie

When the dispatcher says "ambulance traffic" does this mean ambulance requested for a traffic collision or does the word traffic refer to radio traffic and an ambulance is being requested for possibly any reason? I've heard conflicting answers to this question. Anyone familiar with LAPD radios know the answer? Thanks.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
It means that LAPD officers are responding to a traffic collision (T/C) call in which a rescue ambulance (R/A) is also responding. In cases where it is a specific type of T/C (i.e. hit and run, DUI, City-property involved) and a R/A is requested, you will hear the ambulance traffic term used in conjunction with the type of T/C (i.e. ambulance DUI traffic, ambulance hit-and-felony, etc).

Last edited:

Code20Photog

Premium Subscriber
Originally, the LAPD ran the ambulances in Los Angeles.The radio term has stayed in use.

LAFD also uses the term 'plug buggy' for their utility pickup trucks as a homage to the old hydrant service buggies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago, Columbus, GA, had an old ambulance (old, as in panel truck/former ambulance) named "Pearl." Pearl was devoid of any medical equipment. It was only used to transport bodies "in an advanced state of decomposition." She may not have had medical equipment but she did have a dynamite ventilation system.

Nobody remember where the name came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.