Larsen 2/440 mobile antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone,I was looking at a couple of Larsen 2/440 antennas and I was wondering what was best of the two of them?

One of them is 19 inches tall and has a gain of 0/1.8 dBd (2/4 dBi) and the type is a Center 1/4 Wave & 3/4 Wave.The other is 33.5 inches tall and has a gain of 1.6/3.5 dBd (2/4 dBi) and the type is a Center 1/2 Wave & Collinear.

I think the 19 inch tall one would be the best for 2/440,but am not sure.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hi everyone,I was looking at a couple of Larsen 2/440 antennas and I was wondering what was best of the two of them?

One of them is 19 inches tall and has a gain of 0/1.8 dBd (2/4 dBi) and the type is a Center 1/4 Wave & 3/4 Wave.The other is 33.5 inches tall and has a gain of 1.6/3.5 dBd (2/4 dBi) and the type is a Center 1/2 Wave & Collinear.

I think the 19 inch tall one would be the best for 2/440,but am not sure.

I use the NMO2/70 with the open center coil, on a magmount for my ham mobile. It works great, which on is best I cannot answer. Ask that question to 30 people and you will get 30 different answers. The NMO2/70 works well for me and for where I live. What are you going to be using it for? What kind of terrain do you have where you live? And if you are going to listen outside of the ham bands the one. Have works well I listen to stuff in around 155.000 Mhz and on UHF I listen to stuff around 422.000 Mhz as well and it seems to do well

Last edited:

n5ims

I have all three versions of the Larsen NMO 2/70 antennas. The short version has less gain, but also is shorter and more "garage friendly".

The other two are similar in gain and size, but one has an open coil and the other has an enclosed coil. These both work quite similarly, but I find that the open coil is more of a "bug catcher" than the enclosed coil version. The open coil version looks somewhat like a cellular antenna (although quite a bit larger) and may be a better "look" for some folks.

How I use them is the shorter version is on for around town use and the enclosed coil version is on for trips. The open coil version is generally kept as a spare and used as a back-up antenna indoors for when the lightning is to a stage where I'd rather not have my outdoor antenna hooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.