• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Larsen Tri-band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Anyone using this ?
Just tried to screw it on a NMO mount and it’s very tight hard to screw on.

Anyone have the same issues ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Anyone using this ?
Just tried to screw it on a NMO mount and it’s very tight hard to screw on.

Anyone have the same issues ?

Mine was fine, removed the previous (no spring) one and replaced it with the spring base, screwed on just fine for me

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Mmm..... no I made sure
it sat probably before I threaded it on. One of the threads actually came off.
Bought a Browning NMO from Amazon. It was a discontinued product only one left so I bought it. They’re going to give me a full refund .
Went ahead and bought a Laird from antenna farm .
Hopefully it works out better than the first junk. Should’ve bought a good one from the get go

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Mmm..... no I made sure
it sat probably before I threaded it on. One of the threads actually came off.
Bought a Browning NMO from Amazon. It was a discontinued product only one left so I bought it. They’re going to give me a full refund .
Went ahead and bought a Laird from antenna farm .
Hopefully it works out better than the first junk. Should’ve bought a good one from the get go

Yep, steer clear of the Tram/Browning crap. Not worth the minimal cost savings. The one time I used on of their mounts (someone else bought it and wanted me to install it, it was OK, but the preinstalled connector was a joke.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I've had the new tri-band for a while now. Just unscrewed my old Larsen tri-band, put on the large insulator and it screwed right on my existing NMO connection.

Nice performing antenna as was the old Larsen tri-band. This is a much sturdier mount but the antenna appears to be the same.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed any receive difference, positive or negative, from the old Laird and the new spring Laird. Glad to have the spring

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Works quite well I must say
50513f1b21ac8d79c5b59cb49a6eeb6f.jpg

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Bummer it doesn't cover the VHF or UHF air bands.

I beg to differ. I constantly receive bases at 30-40 miles out on VHF while travelling. UHF in general, about the same.

It may not be "tuned" exactly for a specific frequency range, but it sure picks them up just fine.

Now I personally wouldn't transmit with a multi-band antenna....

TRAYSCAN

Premium Subscriber
I have just purchased a SDS200 and I am looking for a good antenna for it. I have tried numerous antennas and I scan the bands that the Larson Tri-band Antenna is tuned for. At this moment I am using a PCTel standard 18 inch antenna because it has performed the best for me so far with the antennas that I have. Has anyone tried the Larson Tri-band Antenna on a SDS200? If so, how does it perform? Thanks in advance for any advice

clanusb

Alright, I went ahead and bought one. Put it on this morning and ran some tests. Super stout antenna, typical great Larsen quality. I have not ran around town with it yet, but it it currently running in place of my Larsen 2/70B. I am in the middle of the central valley and right off the bat I couldn't really notice a difference with any of the normal repeaters. We will see how simplex operations go. I was getting good distances with my 2/70B.
My set up is the antenna, going to a diplexer, connected to two XTL5000's, one VHF, one UHF R1 high power units. The antenna is mounted center on the roof between the sunroof and 3rd brake light on a crew cab Ford F-250, with another Larsen VHF 1/4 in between the tri-band and brake light (about 17" spacing).
My testing was performed with a Telewave 44A meter. I'm eventually going to bite the bullet and probably get a comet CCA-500 analyzer at some point this year, so I'll sweep it then.

Here are my findings.
Telewave 44A

145.11:
SWR: 1.46

146.520:
SWR: 1.44

151.82:
SWR: 1.3

154.6:
SWR: 1.3

446.00:
SWR: 1.12