Lassen Volcanic National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

W7JYJ

Note: This is a repeat of my post in the Federal section.

Anyone know what's going on with the Lassen VNP repeaters? I'm in the park and not copying
any sigs on the repeater output 170.075-MHz. All three repeaters (Lassen Peak, West
Prospect Pk, Mt Harkness) used the same repeater pair, 170.075-MHz output and 169.725-MHz
input. Each repeater had a different input PL-tone. They were all working during my visit a year
ago, but now I'm not hearing anything, even with carrier squelch (instead of tone squelch) on my
radios. The Park was acquiring modern digital radios the last several years. I spotted a modern
RELM base stn radio in the park's Loomis Museum and suspected they went to P25, but I'm not
hearing anything, not even P25 digital, on 170.075-MHz. Seems unlikely all three repeaters are
down during the summer tourista season. Maybe they replaced the repeaters to go 12.5-KHz
narrowband and also changed freqs at the same time? They interoperate with USFS, the
sourrounding counties, CDF, etc. So it would seem that changing frequencies and/or going
digital would be a lot of work.

TIA, Larry

SCPD

QRT

Anyone know what's going on with the Lassen VNP repeaters? I'm in the park and not copying
any sigs on the repeater output 170.075-MHz. All three repeaters (Lassen Peak, West
Prospect Pk, Mt Harkness) used the same repeater pair, 170.075-MHz output and 169.725-MHz
input. Each repeater had a different input PL-tone. They were all working during my visit a year
ago, but now I'm not hearing anything, even with carrier squelch (instead of tone squelch) on my
radios. The Park was acquiring modern digital radios the last several years. I spotted a modern
RELM base stn radio in the park's Loomis Museum and suspected they went to P25, but I'm not
hearing anything, not even P25 digital, on 170.075-MHz. Seems unlikely all three repeaters are
down during the summer tourista season. Maybe they replaced the repeaters to go 12.5-KHz
narrowband and also changed freqs at the same time? They interoperate with USFS, the
sourrounding counties, CDF, etc. So it would seem that changing frequencies and/or going

TIA, Larry

I heard from an informed source that Lassen NP is using a different frequency on three or four different repeater locations with a voter. When the best signal is picked by one of the repeaters it is transmitted on the others at the same time. I don't know what the frequencies are yet or if the voter information is accurate, however, each repeater having a unique transmit frequency is confirmed.

W7JYJ

Lassen VNP

exSmokey:

Tnx much for the info. If you can come up with technical data on the new frequencies and PL-tones/NAC
that would be great.

usfsengine

According to the Region 5 Smokejumper Frequency Guide the following are listed for Lassen Nat'l Park

ch rx tx name
1 172.4625 165.6000 Table Mtn.
2 172.4375 166.3375 West Prospect
3 169.7875 164.1625 Mt. Harkness
4 169.8125 163.025 Turner Mtn.
5 168.6125 168.6125 General Use
6 163.7125 163.7125 General Use
7 168.3500 168.3500 LNP Tac 1
8 163.1000 163.1000 LNP Tac 2

Hope this helps. If they are good let me know and I will do a form so a DB Admin. can input them on the RR.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Both Whiskeytown NRA and Redwood NP have changed their repeater output frequencies (to 172.475 and 169.9875 respectively) as of this summer and added P25 capabilities, and on another forum I read that Lassen has left its longtime 170.075 for several different freqs - possibly a different downlink from each site - though I don't know what they are. I'll see what I can come up with.

EDIT: I type so slowly, I now see that "usfsengine" was giving you the scoop while I was gathering my info and composing my single paragraph.

Guess I'm not a 45 wpm typist anymore. Shoot, not even a 4[size=+1].[/size]5 wpm typist. :)

TIA, Larry

Last edited:

W7JYJ

usfsengine:

Wow, great work usfsengine! Tnx much. Looks like they now have some decent TX/RX splits.
The old repeater schema only had about 300-KHz TX/RX split. Not a big deal given that the
repeaters were all low power and thus TX/RX isolation and TX sideband noise probably weren't a
problem.

I don't have my scanner radio with me, but have other programmable radios and so will start
checking these freqs out and let you know what I find. I'm not familiar with the location of the
Table and Turner Mtn sites, so will be checking them out on the maps. I don't think they're in
LVNP. I'll likely be visiting the Mt Harkness site soon. I usually hoof it up there once every
summer. I visited the West Prospect site (fire lookout) years ago.

Got any PL-tones/NACs for those new freqs?

SCPD

QRT
i heard several weather reports on the lassen system today from the valley in butte county, sound as usual, if this helps at all

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
USFSEngine, your freqs match the general direction NPS is going with their radio systems (different Rx/Tx frequency pair for each repeater and simulcasting all traffic between them). All the new P25 radios can receive mixed-mode (analog narrowband with CTCSS or P25 digital with NAC) on the same channel, and the park service has had the foresight to make their repeaters support mixed mode operation. This allows backwards compatibility with analog-only mutual aid agencies (as well as park maintenance or interpretive rangers who may not have the newest radios) while still giving the protection rangers P25 for their LE operations. From an outside agency perspective that means they can talk to the rangers on analog and be received no matter what, but the rangers have to remember to switch to the analog channel for that repeater.

Kudos to the people in charge of the radio systems at the Park Service for planning ahead so as to not completely shut out outside agencies when they could be of assistance. I think it's a great solution. :)

usfsengine

The book says Use tone 1 (110.9) with all LNP Repeater Channels. Have fun next time you go to the LNP sounds like its an awesome place. Havent had the chance to fight fire in the park, hopefully soon.

rpoole23

Lassen Freqs

Took a trip through Lassen Volcanic Park today. I'm glad I read through these posts beforehand! I had programmed my work HT2000 with the "old" 170.050 freqs, and as previously described = nothing heard. I had along my Pro-106 and programmed in the other mentioned frequencies.

I heard mostly admin, museum staff on 172.465 mhz with a PL of 110.9
However on both 169.790 mhz (Mt. Harkness) and 172.440 mhz (West Prospect) both of these were in P25 mode and showed a NAC of 455.

Also 169.815 mhz (Turner Mtn) showed a PL of 110.9.

On both of the P25 freqs, there was clearly law enforcement rangers talking. Nothing heard on the other general use freqs that were listed. Did get to hear alot of Plumas SO, Lassen SO and Shasta SO, along with SHU and LNF fire communications. Nothing like being high up in the mountains!

Hope this helps with confirming the new frequencies in use at Lassen Volcanic Park.

Ray

W7JYJ

Lassen VNP

I just returned home from the second part of my Lassen VNP trip, which was mostly in the
Warner Valley/Drakesbad area for 6 days in the SE corner of the park. Returned home Sunday and
Monday via Chester, Mineral, Manzanita Lake (LVNP's west entrance), Mt Shasta City, Yreka, etc.

usfsengine was spot-on with the frequencies for the new LVNP P25 system. Its a mixed mode
analog/P25 digital system with four repeaters linked together. After getting the new freq list from
usfsengine, I programmed my TK-2180 analog FM radio and got both analog and P25 digital traffic
from the Mt Harkness, Turner Mtn and West Prospect Pk repeaters. The Table Mtn repeater is mostly
for the west side of Lassen. Warner Valley is in the SE corner of the park. As rpoole23 said, the PL
tone is 110.9, for both input and output. That's the PL-tone that was used on the old Lassen Peak
repeater. I did not have the capability to retrieve the NAC, so I appreciate rpoole23's posting the NAC.

Dispatching is from the Yosemite dispatch center via a VoIP connection. Sometimes the dispatchers
forgot and responded as "Yosemite" rather than "Lassen" when they were called. In my 6 days or so
monitoring the new freqs, the dispatchers always transmitted in analog mode. While the rangers and
other staff were roughly about 65% analog and 35% digital. Some users seemed to prefer digital while
others mostly preferred analog. As I mostly had my radio set for carrier squelch (CS) receive, I could
hear the dispatcher in analog mode followed by a radio user in "buzzsaw" digital mode, which was of
course unreadable on a TK-2180. With Tone Squelch (TS) enabled then I would only hear the analog
side of the conversation. I.e., no "buzzsaw" digital coming thru the analog radio.

As the repeaters are all linked together, when the dispatcher keys up the transmission goes out on
all four repeaters. And when a radio user keys up, their signal is repeated by all four repeaters.

The system mostly seemed to work OK, but they have problems, including:

a) Radio users call Lassen dispatch, dispatch responded, radio users got poor/no copy. Last
Friday I heard this go thru several cycles, including someone trying to relay. So the "talk-out"
from the repeater was not as good as the "talk-in" in this case. Seemed odd, as the "talk-in"
signal from the radio user was fine when I heard it repeated. Maybe his radio wasn't up to par on
RX. Maybe a linking problem. Maybe intermod, spurs, etc. This happened several times during
my stay.

b) The reverse of the above: Where the Dispatcher called radio users, the users responded,
and dispatch could not copy. This would normally be the more common problem since the
"talk-out" from the repeaters should normally be stronger than the "talk-in" to the repeaters.
But at Lassen, many (maybe all) of the repeaters are solar powered and so their TX ERP is
probably not much stronger than an HT. I heard radio users in this scenario switching
between digital and analog modes to try and "get in." In some cases this worked. Maybe
some repeater desensing going on here, especially given the linking system and very closely
spaced antennas from what I saw at the Mt Harkness site.

c) Radio users complained about the coverage being poorer in P25 digital mode than when in
analog mode. No surprise there. Especially in rough terrain when the path is often non-LOS.
Multi-path induced ISI, especially at low C/N.

d) All the P25 HT radios I saw were Bendix-King types. The users were whining about them
eating batteries. Indeed, I heard one radio user ask another to bring a replacement battery
to a meeting they were arranging. No surprise on this problem since most P25 radios pull
from 100-ma to 300-ma in squelched receive (standby) mode. 3 to 10X more than what a
good analog radio draws. I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if LVNP doesn't have a
battery maintenance program to test/resuscitate their HT radio batteries. With power sucking
P25 radios this is a necessity.

e) Some radio users were not speaking closely into their mikes and had very low TX audio.

f) I often heard lots of background chatter while the Yosemite based dispatchers were
transmitting.

g) The Forest Service, from what I was told, is staying analog FM. So there are interoperability
issues -- especially when LVNP radio users are transmitting in P25 digital mode, the FS
radio users can't copy them, unless they have a digital capable radio. Dunno what the situation
is with the FS fire fighters on the ground, Cal Fire, etc. Maybe usfsengine can enlighten us?

I did an 8-mile hike (16-miles round-trip) from the Warner Valley campground to the top of Mt Harkness.
Which included a 2800-ft climb in a 4.1-mile stretch. The Mt Harkness repeater equipment installation is
a bit sloppy, especially the antenna installation. There are 4-ea half-wave loop folded dipole antennas,
2-wide stacked 2-high. Plus a UHF yagi. The dipoles are very close together and thus have much
mutual coupling, pattern distortion, etc -- especially those that are broadside to each other.
Presumably one dipole is used for the Mt Harkness repeater and the others are used for linking with the
other three repeaters, but I don't really know. The 3-element UHF yagi was pointed down into the
Warner Valley area, 2800-ft below, presumably towards Drakesbad, but I don't really know. Or maybe
they're linking on UHF and the four VHF folded dipoles are supposed to be a directional array for the
park area. But the spacing looks terrible.

I think the new system is an improvement over what they had before with three repeaters (Lassen Peak,
Mt Harkness, West Prospect Peak) all on the same close-spaced pair using separate input PL tones.
In that system, the Lassen Peak repeater had the widest coverage and most use. I've made several
winter trips to Lassen and none of these repeaters worked during the winter in the areas I visited.
Presumably they weren't getting enough sun to keep the batteries charged up. It will be interesting to
see how much of the new system works in the winter.

The West Prospect Peak repeater has excellent coverage outside the park, including as far north
as the Burney area. Turner Mtn has a solid signal west of Morgan Summit (where SR-89/36 meet),
i.e., in the Mineral area (where park headquarters is located). Turner Mt and Mt Harkness are OK
along SR-36 from Chester to Morgan Summit, but there was noticeable mobile flutter and some deep
fades in analog mode with a roof top 1/4-wave antenna on my camper. And probably some occasional
P25 dropouts, gurgling sounding audio, etc Mt Harkness and West Prospect Peak were good along
SR-89 inside the park from the SW entrance to Summit Lake. Table Mtn and West Prospect Pk were
best in the NW area around Manzanita Lake, Chaos Crags, and Sunflower Flats. Radio users in
the Horseshoe Lake backcountry and Juniper Lake areas also sounded good on Mt Harkness in analog
mode.

NPS really needs to improve the repeater antenna systems. They love the folded dipoles and
monopoles for their ruggedness, DC shorted in high electric fields, etc. But they really need
some modest amount of gain for these low TX RF power repeater sites. Stacked phased dipoles with
some electrical downtilt is desirable to put more signal on the ground in the service areas rather than
out into space... They should also do some performance testing, i.e., check the analog MDS and
the P25 threshold for 5% BER to see what their effective front-end noise figure is like. Then work
to reduce front-end losses and lower the effective NF. And some path tests would be desirable to
ensure that the overall system, including the antennas, are working properly.

See the attached pictures... Note that the last picture, DSC_4187, was taken a year ago after a
storm rolled thru the area -- note the reduction in blue haze compared to this year's pictures.

Finally, I was lucky to get out the Manzanita Lake entrance station without being nailed by 8437
and his partner, 8431. They had some busy afternoons nailing speeders entering/leaving the park
at the Manzanita Lake entrance station. Must be a revenue enhancement program.

--Larry, W7JYJ

Attachments

• DSC_5844.JPG
    DSC_5844.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • DSC_5841.JPG
    DSC_5841.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 929
  • DSC_5853.JPG
    DSC_5853.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 973
  • DSC_5846.JPG
    DSC_5846.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 939
  • DSC_4187.JPG
    DSC_4187.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,933

rpoole23

Excellent info Larry! Greatly appreciate it!

I too did the hike to the top of Mt. Harkness. Also checked out the radio set up at the fire lookout. Interesting deal up there. I also heard, as you stated, many rangers asking dispatch to repeat portions of the conversation. Also heard some requests repeated to either ther field units or dispatchers, in both analog and P25 modes. And as Larry said, dispatchers came in analog while I heard one ranger call in on first in P25 mode, just to be followed by the same request in analog mode.

Again, thanks Larry for the info!

Ray

Lassen is fast becoming one of my favorite parks!!

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Great post, and thanks for the submission. The database is now updated.

Just curious about the photos, is the fire lookout unsecured? I'm surprised they don't have the repeater and battery cases locked up. However I doubt anyone is going to hike them 8 miles back out. :)

SCPD

QRT
Great post, and thanks for the submission. The database is now updated.

Just curious about the photos, is the fire lookout unsecured? I'm surprised they don't have the repeater and battery cases locked up. However I doubt anyone is going to hike them 8 miles back out. :)

I can assure you, based on experience, that a distance of 8 miles is not enough to discourage people intent on lifting the goods as we say. I've seen some incredible scenarios that expand the mind greatly when reviewing them. You shake your head and say "I didn't know that humans would actually do that!"

Larry, that was a great report. I have not been in Lassen in ten years. On that trip I toured the Susanville Comm Center and heard the law enforcement rangers were not happy with Susanville. I later heard of the VoIP link and wondered how that was going. I hope they made adjustments in the Yosemite dispatch center in response to the increased load. I was never able to visit the dispatch center at Yosemite in spite of knowing quite a few people there, this during many of the meetings I attended in the valley. Each time I went after arranging it they didn't let me in due to high traffic loads.

I don't know if you observed, but is the fire traffic for the park still handled by Susanville? The park and the Lassen National Forest have an interagency engine, a Type III, on the north end of the park. It is staffed by NPS and USFS people.

Next time I'm up that way I would like to climb the peak. It looked like I could do so with hundreds of my best friends and it would not be the experience I normally look for when hiking. I would do it just to say I've done it. Then there is the repeater up there, so I must go sometime.

As a footnote, all the radios ordered by the USFS since 2005 are supposed to be digital capable. Digital doesn't work well in the boonies. Coverage is not as good as it was prior to narrowbanding and when digital is put in the mix the coverage is degraded even more. I don't understand why the NPS is making a push to use it as much as they are.

Last edited:

rpoole23

When I finally got to the top, there was a person manning the lookout. He invited me and my family in to look around and said the lookout is staffed during fire season. Didn't ask about other times. And I didn't pay close enough attention to the radio traffic while we were talking with him. Sorry.

kma371

QRT
Do you have any areas listed in your guide?

According to the Region 5 Smokejumper Frequency Guide the following are listed for Lassen Nat'l Park

ch rx tx name
1 172.4625 165.6000 Table Mtn.
2 172.4375 166.3375 West Prospect
3 169.7875 164.1625 Mt. Harkness
4 169.8125 163.025 Turner Mtn.
5 168.6125 168.6125 General Use
6 163.7125 163.7125 General Use
7 168.3500 168.3500 LNP Tac 1
8 163.1000 163.1000 LNP Tac 2

Hope this helps. If they are good let me know and I will do a form so a DB Admin. can input them on the RR.

SCPD

QRT
This is a great thread, especially Larry's last post. The pictures make the discussion very good. I would like to see more people report on natural resource management systems. The BLM and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife (USFWS), not only here but in other states need more exploration and reports of observations. Callsigns, especially those of the National Park Service.

I have some info on the USFWS in California and nationwide as well. If I can get some time I will post it as well. We don't have a separate category for the this agency in the California database under Area Wide systems. The USFWS does not have as much traffic on their systems as the NPS, USFS and BLM, however, they do get visitors and have sworn peace officers known as "Refuge Officers." There is fire traffic as well. The USFWS do more prescribed burning per acre than the other agencies and have the lowest number of employees per acre than the other agencies.

The USFWS has a nationwide fire simplex frequency which they probably use for crew to crew and intra-crew communications at large incidents. It would be good to have that information available for people.

If anyone else has information on the USFWS radio systems please start a thread. If you have a Refuge near you try monitoring or using the close call or sweep feature on your scanners.

More threads on the NPS and USFS with this level of detail would be great. This is exactly why this is an excellent website. It depends on us to make it interesting and informative.

W7JYJ

All:

Tnx for the nice comments!

There are two trails going up Mt Harkness, the NE trail from the Juniper Lake
campground and the NW trail from the trail junction west of Juniper Lake.

The hike up to the Mt Harkness lookout can be as short as 2-miles from the Juniper
Lake campground via the NE Mt Harkness trail. From Warner Valley its a
4.1-mile hike from the trail head at the Warner Valley Road or 7.6-miles from
the Warner Valley campground. In both cases the trail climbs steeply from the
WV Rd to the trail junction west of Juniper Lake, a 1600-ft climb in 2.4-miles.
Then another 1200-ft and 1.7-miles up the NW Mt Harkness trail. The NW and NE
trails join together about 0.3-miles from the lookout. The hike from the WV Rd
is a really nice hike with some great views. Ditto for the NE trail from the
Juniper Lake campground.

The lookout is normally secured when no one is there on-duty. Sadly, the lookout
is in need of some serious maintenance. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago, a couple
volunteered to rehab the lookout. As I recall, they worked on it for two summers
and had it looking pretty good. LVNP has mostly let it slide since then... I just
about put one foot thru the deck boards just outside the front door on the upper
level.

Years ago ShastaCom used to handle after-hours dispatching for Lassen, back in
the 90's or so. And everyday around 4pm in the summer, "Susanville" would come
up on the Lassen Peak repeater and give a detailed fire/weather conditions and
forecast report. Presumably, that was USFS doing it. I haven't heard them do
that for the last several years. Occasionally, I've heard a fire engine crew
come on the repeater system as they were out and about. Ditto for park maintenance
workers.

KMA371 -- I'm not sure what you are asking for. Are you asking about where the
various repeaters are located relative to LVNP? If so: Table Mtn is on the
west side of the park north of the Manzanita Lake area. West Prospect Peak is
north of and slightly outside the park with a fire lookout. Mt Harkness is in
the SE corner of the park near Juniper Lake and has a fire lookout. Turner Mtn
is outside the park south of Mineral and I believe has a fire lookout. Mineral
is on SR-36.

I downloaded the RELM/BK DPHX51 HT radio datasheet. I understand that radio is still
in production even though its long of tooth, having been FCC certified back in 2003.
According to the specs, the radio only draws 20-ma in standby mode (presumably
squelched receive). That's fairly low. My old Motorola 1970's vintage
PT-200/300/400 "lunch bucket" radios drew 6-ma in squelched receive mode. As I
recall, my old Kenwood TK-250 draws about 35-ma. Most modern microprocessor based
radios are well north of that. My TK-2180 probably pulls 65-ma. The DPHX51 uses
a 10-V battery, but still 20-ma is fairly low for a P25 radio, even without
trunking. Yet the LVNP users complained about them quickly running the batteries
down. I haven't found any energy specs on the RELM/BK OEM batteries, but comparable
3rd party batteries are in the 2000-maH range and go up to 2700-maH. TX current at
5-watts RF output is around 1.41-amps. About 35% TX power conversion efficiency.
Maybe LVNP users talk a lot and quickly run their batteries down.

I agree that P25 digital doesn't work as well in the boonies as analog NBFM.
Nevertheless, LVNP could improve their repeater system's performance, particularly
with a better antenna system. Which would help both talk-in and talk-out performance.

I've tested P25, Kenwood/Icom NXDN and Motorola Turbo (DMR) on the bench and in a
campus environment, inside buildings and outside on foot with HT's and in vehicles
with roof-top mounted antennas. NXDN and Turbo worked very well -- as good as
analog and in some cases a few dB better than analog. While P25 digital generally
tested several dB worse in the field. P25 is more sensitive to multi-path,
particularly short-delay spread multi-path at low C/N. Turbo was also more sensitive
to short-delay spread multi-path than NXDN. Turbo signalling speed is 4800-Baud
(9600-bps) while NXDN in 6.25-KHz mode is 2400-Baud (4800-bps) and thus less sensitive
to short-delay spread multi-path propagation. P25 I believe is 4800-Baud (9600-bps)
with C4FM. One needs to keep the C/N up and the multi-path propagation short-delay
spread down to get good P25 digital radio performance, particularly in non-LOS situations.

--Larry

Attachments

• DSC_5840.JPG
    DSC_5840.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 810
  • DSC_5838.JPG
    DSC_5838.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 765
Status
Not open for further replies.