Last of the scanners: Are police security measures and new technologies killing an American obsession?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marky102770

If such a situation ever occurs, the reason government doesn't want the public to panic is so that they can get their behinds to safe places and leave everyone else swinging in the wind. "Continuity of Government" is a euphamism for "screw you." ;)
My point exactly. but it wont be, "if such a situation ever occurs" it will be "When". between, the underground world, military activity, most of law enforcement switching to the same radio system (Project-25 phase 2) and the federal government making everybody get that "real ID" and all states have until 2020 to comply. probably because the government will use that to pick the elite to call for underground.. my guess its gonna happen very soon, I hope I'm wrong and happens after I am dead and my children are as well

12dbsinad

How do I get access to these underground highways that run coast to coast? This sounds like a lot better option than our regular interstate system.

Does anyone know if there is a toll fee??

zz0468

QRT
Banned
How do I get access to these underground highways that run coast to coast? This sounds like a lot better option than our regular interstate system.

Does anyone know if there is a toll fee??

They only run direct between Area 51, Mt. Weather, and Dugway, Utah.

MrAntiDigital

I'm just glad I was around when I was. It's all over now.

Listening to the activity of the local police, fire and EMS was a GREAT HOBBY.

When programmable scanners first hit the market, you could go anywhere and listen no matter where it was. A trip down I-95 along the east coast from Boston to Miami you could listen to every department along the way.

In the local area, you could hear the breaking news as it was happening.

There were scanner groups that organized in some of our larger cities. Guys would hang out together listening to their scanners.

Boston had a Howard Johnsons Restaurant at Southampton and Mass Ave where the parking lot would be filled with guys called "Sparks" who used to chase the fire dept. The parking lot was nicknamed "Whip City" because of all the large whip antennas on the cars. The restaurant did a great business supplying those "Sparks" with goodies for the entire night.

Same with the FDNYs Engine Co 82/Ladder Co 31s firehouse on Intervale Ave. The street would be lined with cars after that firehouse became famous as the busiest firehouse in the world had a book written about it called; "Report from Engine Co 82". One of the few buildings in the area that was NOT burned out was a place called: "Angies Market" across the street. They made a killing selling sandwiches, coffees etc to those buffs listening to their scanners.

I live in southeastern, Ct. and at one time with an outside antenna I would pick up police and fire depts. from up to 75-100 miles away. Boston FD was on 33.74 MHz, Springfield on 154.40, Providence on 154.37, New Haven on 33.82, Hartford on 154.31. I heard them all. Plus everything else in between including police depts.
Hartford, New Haven, and Providence had repeaters so I would also hear the mobile units as well.

These days it does me no good whether I have a 50 channel scanner or 200 channel scanner, "I can't pick anything up".

These are just a few stories of a once very popular hobby that in recent years has disappeared.

So it's all over now. Those of us that were a part of it will always remember how great those days were.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Read the entire thread. Interesting take on the subject. When P25 came out, everyone said scanning is dead. Boom, updated scanners came out with P25. Then phase II, everyone said scanning will die. Boom, phase II scanners came out. LTE police radios? Once a big storm comes through and knocks out a few antennas and cops can’t talk to each other, LTE will be scrapped. One part of amature radio rules state no license needed in case of emergency to transmit. I have a yeasu handheld, no license, in case of emergency. Only way our government can stop hams, cb’s, etc from talking to each other is jamming or a EMP. Scanners and receivers will have some use. Heck, even cb’s will help if USA crumbles. Btw, learn to reload and stock up!

MrAntiDigital

Thank you "radio3353" but my preference is and always has been public safety. I just can't get interested in any other type.

As I see it, a CB radio would have done the same thing if I just wanted to hear people talk.

I'm sure that I am not alone in my feeling.

You know what they say: "Different strokes for different folks".

Some people like apple pie, some people don't. I happen to like apple pie but I can't make that choice for everybody else. I don't consider anybody close minded if they don't like apple pie.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
a) scanner listeners rarely monitor input frequencies or are close enough to pick up anything

b) a trunking radio will not TX voice if it can't hit the repeater, so monitoring the inputs will do no good
I'm talking about inputs to conventional repeaters; and by the way I often listen to the inputs of the PA DOJ air to ground system because in alot of the mountainous areas here in the Reading, PA area the repeaters don't come in but I can hear the air units talk on the input 700/800 MHZ digital inputs. I've also heard units clearly on my 436 on the Berks County Phase 2 system where the dispatcher couldn't understand their transmissions after several attempts; so if an officer was calling for help I could have called to get them help.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thank you "radio3353" but my preference is and always has been public safety. I just can't get interested in any other type.

As I see it, a CB radio would have done the same thing if I just wanted to hear people talk.

I'm sure that I am not alone in my feeling.

You know what they say: "Different strokes for different folks".

Some people like apple pie, some people don't. I happen to like apple pie but I can't make that choice for everybody else. I don't consider anybody close minded if they don't like apple pie.

I'm kinda like you. I really don't care to listen to the McDonald's drive-thru, my neighbor's baby monitor or the HVAC company down the street. I'm a retired LEO and I listen to public safety, not to get involved like some people here, but, rather, just to see what's still going. I'm still the communications officer for a regional interstate SAR team so I get my share of involvement without even trying. That mobile command post in the tiny avatar over there on the left is my "office."

radio3353

I'm kinda like you. I really don't care to listen to the McDonald's drive-thru, my neighbor's baby monitor or the HVAC company down the street. "

Please, nobody is suggesting those as the alternatives to public safety. Come on! I am talking about military, aircraft, railroads, etc. Just take a look at the different forums on RR for ideas. It's your choice...whine about encryption or expand your hobby. Or, find a new hobby. But, don't go down the drive-thru and baby monitor path as if that is the alternative to public safety on scanners. I think you are more intelligent than that.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Please, nobody is suggesting those as the alternatives to public safety. Come on! I am talking about military, aircraft, railroads, etc. Just take a look at the different forums on RR for ideas. It's your choice...whine about encryption or expand your hobby. Or, find a new hobby. But, don't go down the drive-thru and baby monitor path as if that is the alternative to public safety on scanners. I think you are more intelligent than that.

Okay, back off a little. I don't think I ever mentioned encryption, expressed any dissatisfaction in what was available for listening or suggested that any of those things were a substitute for public safety. I know about the other services. Ft. Benning is 5 miles away, my daughter is a pilot and I am not interested in railroads. I deal with communications (operation, not repair). That mobile command post has marine, aircraft, programmable public safety UHF and VHF, ham, an on-board VHF repeater, 800 mHz P25 Phase II (local public safety system) and 8 satellite phone lines plus a Raytheon ACU-1000 to tie them together, if necessary.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
All I care to listen to is Federal VHF & UHF and Military air. I don't really listen to the Public safety such as Police, Sheriff's office and Fire/EMS since in my area it's NXDN encrypted from what a Police officer told me while eating and talking about our radios he claims reason why his agency went encrypted is due to the call nature they don't want anyone else to hear.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I love Encryption. Lock everything down to the point where nobody will be able to communicate and then watch our country crumble. It's going to happen since everybody got so happy about encryption and got sold a bill of goods to all of these agencies. When you work in the tech field like I do you "want to keep things simple". Stick to the basic's and try not to make things harder to do your job and open a can of worms and make your tech life a hell of a job to do. More technology is not always better. Nothing was wrong with keeping communications simple and keep everything on Analog. VHF high band Analog worked so well and it still does.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I understand people wanting to know but 2 events again in my area, one streamed live involving a shooting, another person who stabbed several had a scanner on new years am.

Following this the posts hit facebook and the endless details of it with names.

If one is doing it more than thst are using modern technology to evade, or commit acts. Does it mean everyone is? No.

Will some places be open yes. But many will opt in as the popularit of social media, recording devices play back real time events and names.

The argument of they can press a button, switch channels is a old mindset. We done that for 20 years but time and time again even with training in many situations it doesn't work as planned.

It is easier to strap it lock it, be done with it and not have a worry of real time social media posts of names, addresses etc.

With things such as ncic, insurance information, socials, phone numbers, license plates and those returns it is a lawsuit nightmare if the wrong hands gets that information. Not everywhere has signal for cellphones in rural areas.

As for officer safety if you only got a few out someone could monitor this and catch on. Is there ways to tell only 5 are on? Probably but most wouldn't have know or means and none less it's in works I'm told to solve the unit id issue in p25 as several have asked about it.

There will still be areas in clear I have no doubt but others will opt in.

I use to be on other side of the argument long ago before seeing first hand the issues.

Once the New Mexico statewide system is fully built many are opting in. It will be a mix of p25, and nxdn and inevitably fully encrypted for the municipal, county and state users once fully built.

Hans13

With things such as ncic, insurance information, socials, phone numbers, license plates and those returns it is a lawsuit nightmare if the wrong hands gets that information.

Nope. Sovereign immunity is very difficult to pierce.

Hans13

The argument of they can press a button, switch channels is a old mindset. We done that for 20 years but time and time again even with training in many situations it doesn't work as planned.

It's still a training issue. Are people too stupid, unwilling, or is it a systemic failure? Throwing up hands and saying, "Nope, too difficult!" is a cop-out at best and an outright lie at worst. (Not directed at you, BTW. :cool:) There are more difficult things in the line of work, are they also dismissed as too difficult? Or, is it just things that cut the master out from keeping a closer eye on the servant?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I guess following the logic Waze should be banned since it marks where cops are.

belvdr

No longer interested in living

MrAntiDigital

I'm kinda like you. I really don't care to listen to the McDonald's drive-thru, my neighbor's baby monitor or the HVAC company down the street. I'm a retired LEO and I listen to public safety, not to get involved like some people here, but, rather, just to see what's still going. I'm still the communications officer for a regional interstate SAR team so I get my share of involvement without even trying. That mobile command post in the tiny avatar over there on the left is my "office."

Status
Not open for further replies.