Lat/Lon of database entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcc65

Premium Subscriber
I'm interested in looking at some MPT1327 signals and obviously there aren't many in the US. I'm in the Denver area and a search showed up a system belonging to Basin Electric Power Cooperative. It shows a lot of different towers spanning multiple states, there are supposedly a couple in Colorado. They are listed in the middle of absolutely nowhere, towns too small to be on Google Maps. I'm wondering if this is actually accurate, do they have towers and repeaters at these locations?

For instance, the first link below says the site location is Bismark but it's multi-state. Then it lists a lat/lon in colorado, but it says (County) next to it, like so:

Latitude N 40.726446 (County)
Longitude W -103.095703 (County)

If I go there will I actually see a tower that is transmitting control channel info?

Willard, CO Site Details (Basin Electric Power Cooperative)
Cornish, CO Site Details (Basin Electric Power Cooperative)

P.S. I tried to search first but it wasn't working for me.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you see (County) next to the Lat/Long, that means no specific coordinates were entered for that site, so it's pulling the default coordinates from the county the site is assigned to. You may also see (System) next to the Lat/Long, which indicates a site has not been given specific coordinates and has also not been assigned to a county, so instead it pulls the default coordinates of the entire system.

What you should do instead is look at the FCC licenses assigned to the sites, that will give you a better idea where the transmitters are located.

WQEL984 (Basin Electric Power Cooperative) FCC Callsign Details

WQEL992 (Basin Electric Power Cooperative) FCC Callsign Details

ericcc65

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I had seen the FCC page before and thought it had nothing to offer. It wasn't until just now I noticed they had a separate tab showing locations, which is exactly what I want. Google Maps even shows the tower on zoom in in satellite mode. Thanks again.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
One of the helpful links supplied on the DB Page, and often overlooked, are the two location links at the top of the frequency table on all TRS pages. Right below the term "System Frequencies" and just above the actual frequency list is a line. On the far right of that line are two site location links. The "FCC Callsigns" link maps the sites based on license information for known licenses entered on the various sites in the frequency list and the "RR Locations" link maps the sites based on the actual site locations entered in the DB. Of course both of those links are subject to error but it gives a quick overview of where the system is for the most part. See the image below for exactly what I was describing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 10.03.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 10.03.21 AM.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.