Lawrence, NJ - County officials unveil new communication system for emergency workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

Oh yeah. Another race-to-waste radio system goes into service because changing the channel is so doggone confusing.

“What we had before is one set of responders could not talk to another,’’ Hughes said. “Police couldn’t talk to EMS and EMS couldn’t talk to police because each was operating on their own frequency. It was a closed system.’’

The “trunked’’ system, as the type of system is commonly called, expands the number of conversations that can happen simultaneously on a single radio channel, with less confusion.

phillydjdan

They are referring to the agencies being on different bands. Fire and EMS were on VHF and police were on UHF. Why they need interop is beyond me. Any time Ive heard large scale operations or drills anywhere in the Philly region theyve always given each agency their own operating channel. Ive yet to hear cops and medics on the same channel...

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
"15 years to build and it will have to shut down in 5 years because it is in the UHF-T band"

I am still of the opinion that T band is not going away anytime soon, there isn't enough 700 mhz non LTE bandwidth out there to make of for it's loss.Just figure the amount of MHZ that is used on T band channels 14 through 20, that's 42mhz of bandwidth. LA has already said so, and I am sure New York will chime in at a later date.

I also happen to be a licensee of some T band channels, Congress and the FCC have failed up to this point on how they intent to deal with that situation. If the FCC says tough luck go somewhere else that would be a precedent that I am sure a lot of businesses would not like to hear.

nfc2014

Premium Subscriber
At least it is not 100% encryption which is the way Central Virginia is headed. Expect this hobby to slowly fade away as encryption spreads around the nation.Public Safety are probably the most monitored agencies.Very sad days ahead for us as this hobby dies.

webby52

Premium Subscriber
They are referring to the agencies being on different bands. Fire and EMS were on VHF and police were on UHF. Why they need interop is beyond me. Any time Ive heard large scale operations or drills anywhere in the Philly region theyve always given each agency their own operating channel. Ive yet to hear cops and medics on the same channel...

This means that now fire and ems are operating on the same channel. This is good for communications when both an ems unit and an ems engine are going to the same call....The best thing about moving up to UHF for fire and ems services is we as law enforcement can now interact with those in emergency services using one radio, just by switching talkgroups.

For the communication center who just took over ems dispatching, this is a plus as well as everyone is geographically placed on one channel and it streamlines the span of control for the dispatcher.

NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston... all on the T-Band...I highly doubt its going anywhere and that was one of the reasons they moved forward on the 500 band.

Status
Not open for further replies.