Lawrence PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I see someone submitted 453.2625 NAC 212 P25 Testing. Fingers crossed I don't see ENC pop up

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
453.2625 - wqwn309

If you search the radioreference database in MA for that frequency and then click on the call sign associated with that frequency, you see what that frequency's intended use maybe.

NFR85

If you search the radio reference database in MA for that frequency and then click on the call sign associated with that frequency, you see what that frequency's intended use maybe.

Says: Notes: FOR DRUG UNIT DAILY COMMUNICATIONS

Where the one they now say: Notes: RADIOS COORDINATE ACTIVITIES

If that's the case is should be listed as "Law Tac" not Law Dispatch.

Last edited:

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
LPD radio system

If you go to the link that was posted by NFR85, notice the locations of the transmitters. One transmitter is located on the water tower on Tower Hill; the second transmitter location is not at 90 Lowell Street. I have shown the FCC paperwork to friends at the LPD and they agree that posting it's use in the manner it was posted was a big mistake. It is a moot point because it is my understanding that all traffic on that frequency is to be encrypted.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
I caught the Lawrence PD testing their new digital radio system around 11:15 AM on 11/6/18. They are back on analog as of right now

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
LPD radio system

It appears that today, 11/19/18, that the radio techs maybe testing ENCRYPTION on the :pD's primary frequency of 482.5625. Regular radio traffic is being heard in the midst of the testing.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If you go to the link that was posted by NFR85, notice the locations of the transmitters. One transmitter is located on the water tower on Tower Hill; the second transmitter location is not at 90 Lowell Street. I have shown the FCC paperwork to friends at the LPD and they agree that posting it's use in the manner it was posted was a big mistake. It is a moot point because it is my understanding that all traffic on that frequency is to be encrypted.

Looking at the filing, I only see Tower Hill and Lawrence High School as the transmitter sites. The police station address only appears as the licensee address, which is correct. This line confuses me:

they agree that posting it's use in the manner it was posted was a big mistake.

Are you referring to the posting of the info or the statement of use in the license? If it is the posting, it is readily available public information from a Federal Government Commission and there is nothing that can be done about it. I also am very familiar with the contact company (having worked for them in the early 90's) and can assure you that when they filed for the license in 2015, that was the intended use of the frequency, which they had to disclose as part of the application. They are reputable, and thorough.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
Having talked with several individuals in the LPD, they agree that the intended use could have been better camouflaged. Even though it's use will been encrypted, just hearing the LPD out there on that frequency would be enough to warn those that the possibility of being observed exists.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
All depends. If grant money specifically for that purpose was involved, they would have to follow the guidelines set forth by the grant provider. I know a north shore department that I assisted with the coordination and deployment of their "covert" drug control frequency and it was required that the radios and frequency be solely used for that purpose, so the exact same line was on the application. There are a lot of moving parts that go into these things and not everyone is privy to the reasons something is done in a particular fashion.

ecps92

And if they really need SECRET [well, if it transmits it is not secret] there are plenty of Part 90 exceptions for Low Power Law Enforcement that have been in use for YEARS by the T-Band users and Boston PD :roll:
All depends. If grant money specifically for that purpose was involved, they would have to follow the guidelines set forth by the grant provider. I know a north shore department that I assisted with the coordination and deployment of their "covert" drug control frequency and it was required that the radios and frequency be solely used for that purpose, so the exact same line was on the application. There are a lot of moving parts that go into these things and not everyone is privy to the reasons something is done in a particular fashion.

NFR85

I wonder if Lawerence is going to do what Lowell did. Have 2 channels. Use Tac 2 as Enc and all other normal traffic will be open to the public

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
Methuen PD has a similar system, main dispatch is P25 and CH 2 is encrypted for the detectives; I do not think that Methuen has the equivalent of Lawrence's CH 16 which is the LPD's SNEU (Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit) encrypted channel. I have been unable to ascertain exactly what frequency CH 16 is operating on.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Methuen PD has a similar system, main dispatch is P25 and CH 2 is encrypted for the detectives; I do not think that Methuen has the equivalent of Lawrence's CH 16 which is the LPD's SNEU (Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit) encrypted channel. I have been unable to ascertain exactly what frequency CH 16 is operating on.

Could very well just be code for cell phone or a PTT app.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
Encrypted radio traffic

Today, 11/28/2018, I have been hearing encrypted radio traffic on the expired LPD's Auxiliary output frequency of 156.21.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
On Track

The latest update is the transmissions on ch 1 are simulcast on ch 2. (both dispatch and cars). Ch 1 is in the clear analog, but ch 2 is encrypted analog. Both are set to go on P25. Ch.1 will remain as 482.5625, ch 2 will be 460.2125. ch 3 (detectives) is also encrypted analog ready for p25. Ch 16 (453.5125) will remain as is on hi end encryption and p25 for Narc use.
Only problem is Andover does creep in and out. When is gets into the system its as clear as LPD.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
LPD radio system

Several questions to Firefox 10:

1) How reliable is your source of information?

2) Do you have a breakdown on what frequencies Channel 3 through Channel 15 operate on?

and lastly

3) Where do the old and new Auxiliary Police frequencies, both input and repeater, fit into the LPD channel plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.