Lawrence PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
The Lawrence PD has had a radio tech working on installing and programming their new Kenwood radios in the cruisers. The LEOs have the new Kenwood walkies. This has been going on for the past week or so. Frequencies will apparently remain the same with SNEU (Drug unit) maintaining an encrypted channel and th detective unit gain an encrypted frequency for their investigations. Dispatch and routine cruisers will eventually become P25.

xplorer417

both depts are still using the same frequencies they have gone apco25 and dmr the stuff is in this forum put ur scanner in search mode and it will come up w everything u need.

cmed325

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately it is 100% confirmed,The equipment is in and will be installed shortly. The Depts such as the FD etc will be issued radios in order to monitor the Dispatch Channel.

NFR85

Unfortunately it is 100% confirmed,The equipment is in and will be installed shortly. The Depts such as the FD etc will be issued radios in order to monitor the Dispatch Channel.

Thanks for that CMED

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
My sources keep telling me that the regular dispatch frequency will be P-25/Unencrypted. The LPD detectives will be getting an encrypted frequency and Channel 16 will remain encrypted for the LPD SNEU units.
LPD has mentioned Channels 13 and 14 also during the Feast of the 3 Saints over Labor Day Weekend. The LPD Auxies, who were doing crowd control, were on 159.3525 or 159.355.

NFR85

Just put my scanner in ID search with 482.56250 . Not sure if that's correct to see what new frequencies. Popup.

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
I am an old fashioned scanner enthusiast. I just punch in frequencies. 482.5625 is where I am hearing the LPD unencrypted as of 9/4/18.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
DUAL BAND

Does anyone know if the Kenwoods will be dual band? They purchased a few 7000's and a couple 8000 but then went to Harris which was told to be dual band (UHF/700-800). ??

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Checked the Kenwood website and saw 6 versions of their radios. All are single band. Has options for AES and DES. While voting last week at Rollins schools notice a new antenna in their antenna array in Eng. 6 what looked to be a new 700/800.

NFR85

As of 9/25 Law still in the clear. Are they still going full-time encryption still or moving onto P25 but will able to listen?

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
I am presently looking at Section 3: Specifications & Requirements portion of bid documents for the Lawrence Police Department new radio system.

Configuration #1 (Base Bid)

Single channel, single site conventional 700/800 MHZ P25 Phase II system with remote receivers:

Radio dispatch consoles (3)
Primary single-channel repeater at Tower Hill
Remote voted single-channel receiver site at LFD Engine 6
Remote voted single-channel receiver site at the Mt. Vernon water tower
Connectivity provided by microwave

Configuration #2 (Add Bid Alternate #1)

SIngle site, four (4) channel trunked 700/800 MHZ P25 Phase II system with remote receivers:

Four (4) channel trunked site at Tower Hill
Four (4) channel remote voted receiver site at LFD Engine 4
Four (4) channel remote voted receiver site atthe Mt. Vernon water tower
Planned system users - 350
Less then 2% blocking in the busy hour

People that I know have indicated that the system will be P25, at a minimum.

The primary dispatch channel is supposed to be strictly P25 with the LPD detectives getting an encrypted frequency, similar to what the Methuen PD has. SNEU (Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit) will remain encrypted. The LPD has 2 pairs of frequencies in the VHF - High range. The Auxiliary PD use a pair of them when they are on duty. The second pair maybe used for data as some cruisers do have computers. The LPD is also listed on frequencies in 453/458, 460/465, and all of the BAPERN/NEMLEC frequencies. The SNEU channel is frequently mentioned on the regular dispatch channel as 'Channel 16'.

I don't know if the above mentioned Kenwood Viking series of radios would be capable of supporting such a diverse number of frequencies that the LPD uses.

Due to the City of Lawrence's Gas Emergency, I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone off the record to find out exactly what is actually happening with their radio system.

In closing, I post this piece of information from the beginning of the bid document's SECTION 3:

Section 2.0 CURRENT SYSTEM INFORMATION

Radio System

The Police Department's single - site, single - channel UHF radio system operates under the following primary FCC license:

Police Dispatch KYR956* 482.5625

*this license expired in 2011. The City is operating on 482.5625 MHZ under FCC license WQON661 held by the Fire Department of the Town of Methuen with Methuen's consent.

I hope that some of this information may clear up some of the questions about the Lawrence Police radio system.

garys

Premium Subscriber
So, are they going to build a 700/800 Mhz trunk system and get off of UHF? If so, are they going to use the MSP Astro 7.1 core?

That's how it looks from the parts you quoted.

If it's Phase 2, I wonder if the 4 channels are two TDMA frequencies. I also wonder if the FD or other town departments are going to move to the new system.

I am presently looking at Section 3: Specifications & Requirements portion of bid documents for the Lawrence Police Department new radio system.

Configuration #1 (Base Bid)

Single channel, single site conventional 700/800 MHZ P25 Phase II system with remote receivers:

Primary single-channel repeater at Tower Hill
Remote voted single-channel receiver site at LFD Engine 6
Remote voted single-channel receiver site at the Mt. Vernon water tower

Configuration #2 (Add Bid Alternate #1)

SIngle site, four (4) channel trunked 700/800 MHZ P25 Phase II system with remote receivers:

Four (4) channel trunked site at Tower Hill
Four (4) channel remote voted receiver site at LFD Engine 4
Four (4) channel remote voted receiver site atthe Mt. Vernon water tower
Planned system users - 350
Less then 2% blocking in the busy hour

People that I know have indicated that the system will be P25, at a minimum.

The primary dispatch channel is supposed to be strictly P25 with the LPD detectives getting an encrypted frequency, similar to what the Methuen PD has. SNEU (Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit) will remain encrypted. The LPD has 2 pairs of frequencies in the VHF - High range. The Auxiliary PD use a pair of them when they are on duty. The second pair maybe used for data as some cruisers do have computers. The LPD is also listed on frequencies in 453/458, 460/465, and all of the BAPERN/NEMLEC frequencies. The SNEU channel is frequently mentioned on the regular dispatch channel as 'Channel 16'.

I don't know if the above mentioned Kenwood Viking series of radios would be capable of supporting such a diverse number of frequencies that the LPD uses.

Due to the City of Lawrence's Gas Emergency, I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone off the record to find out exactly what is actually happening with their radio system.

In closing, I post this piece of information from the beginning of the bid document's SECTION 3:

Section 2.0 CURRENT SYSTEM INFORMATION

Radio System

The Police Department's single - site, single - channel UHF radio system operates under the following primary FCC license:

Police Dispatch KYR956* 482.5625

*this license expired in 2011. The City is operating on 482.5625 MHZ under FCC license WQON661 held by the Fire Department of the Town of Methuen with Methuen's consent.

I hope that some of this information may clear up some of the questions about the Lawrence Police radio system.

RRSINC

Feed Provider
Don't go by that spec that is not what they are getting they are staying UHF and going P25 and from what I am hearing full encryption.

The spec was written by a "consultant" who like the copy and paste function

garys

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense. I used some cut and paste on a few RFPs that I had to write. The difference is that I edited them carefully to make sure that there were no errors that could trip us up when it came time to award the contract.

As you probably know, the RFP becomes the Statement of Work (SOW) which is incorporated into the contract. If that's not accurate, the buyer may end up with something other than what they thought they were getting.

The city should demand a refund for such sloppy work. :roll:

Thanks for the clarification.

Don't go by that spec that is not what they are getting they are staying UHF and going P25 and from what I am hearing full encryption.

The spec was written by a "consultant" who like the copy and paste function

potala1369

Premium Subscriber
From what I gather, the LFD is doing some sort of upgrades to their radio system; adding another frequency. The LDPW, while licensed for their own radio system, does not use radios for their operations. They rely mostly on cellphones for their communications. During the ongoing 'Gas Emergency', at least one LDPW worker was heard using a LPD walkie talkie in conjunction with moving traffic cones and road barriers around various parts of South Lawrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.