Layover at PIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
In a couple of weeks I will have a layover at PIT. I am bringing my PSR-500 with me and was wondering what I should program into it. I am mainly interested in police and fire/ems but am willing to program in just about anything (should have more than enough room for everything with the 500). Thanks in advance for your help.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
capt_clint said:
Since you are a premium member, you can have all or just some of these loaded in less time than it took me to write this.:confused: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?mid=101

I know that I could just do it that way but I ask because I have no clue what I can and can not pick up from the airport. I was just asking for suggestions. In the past I have even received files to use from other people that way it is all set up. I am not into flaming but I thought the purpose of Radio Reference was to share information and help each other. If someone asks the question that is going to visit my area I just point them to the website in my sig, there you will find both .P500 files and .P96 files for anyone to download. As a matter of a fact I am going to soon see what the members here on RR will offer as far as scanner programing files goes and put them on my website (with due credit of course) so there is a good resource out there for people traveling. One of the main reasons I learned to ask though is because I had a layover in Dallas/Ft Worth before and I made a program then I listed it in a message here on what I had. Turned out I have 3 or 4 systems I couldn't use at all so they were just in there wasting space (this was on my 96 where space can be at a premium).

If somoene could answer what I could pick up from the airport it would be greatly appriciated. I am getting ready to start a file though for the area and just put in most of the stuff for the area because I leave on Wednesday and won't have much time after tonight to write up a file.

talviar

you may wish to try www.wpascanner.com
click on Allegheny County.

I can't vouch for what you will pick up at the airport but the dispatch "zone" maps should give you a rough idea. Airport is in the NW corner of Allegheny covering parts of Allegheny and Beaver County.

Most of the Transmitters for City of Pittsburgh are on the top of the hill overlooking pittsburgh and should be scannable at Greater Pit Airport as well.

Just my $.02 and your mileage may vary.

Tony

captclint

Mentor
I rarely prolong a thread where a difference of opinion has the potential to offend, but I can see how your expectation was way beyond what I would have guessed. I have have an international airport in my area, but I think Tony Alviar summed it up well: "I can't vouch for what you will pick up at the airport" In the case of Pittsburgh area, there are a very large number of systems, so weeding out the list of potential candidates might be a challenge, assuming that someone would have enough airport specific knowledge.
In the past I have even received files to use from other people that way it is all set up.
You mean someone created a set of files that was specific to the airport area?
If someone asks the question that is going to visit my area I just point them to the website in my sig, there you will find both .P500 files and .P96 files for anyone to download.
I didn't see any anything that looked like a file for the Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport (CHO) area.:) OK, so I went over the top on that comment, but I am trying to make the point that most people have files for their area of interest, and it is unlikely that they would coincide with the area that a portable would pick up at the airport.

I know you were "just looking for suggestions", and I hope my response didn't turned off anyone who would be willing to do this. If so, I am sorry. Hopefully, Tony Alviar's advice will allow you to decide what to download from RR...at least you have enough room in your PSR-500 for things that may not be close enough to enjoy.

Last edited:

csvff78

From the airport the closest zones are Southwest, Northwest, and North. Most of the areas around the airport are ring downs and not dispatched by county. Try Moon, Findlay, Robinson, Coraopolis, and North Fayette to name a few.

I do not have an up to date file, I am working on updating it now.

Try : http://www.geocities.com/csvff78/pghradio.html
Or : http://www.geocities.com/csvff78/air.html

If you would like some more specific info let me know.

Frank K3FSS

csvff78

Forgot to mention they are filming "She's Out Of My League" in a closed section of the airport. Search 461-470 and you should find some activity regarding the filming. Some that I have found are :
462.1125 - DPL 165
467.8375 - DPL 065
468.8625 - DPL 051
469.0375 - DPL 023
469.700 - DPL 411 - Not sure if this related to the filming. I suspect it was related to the air show at the time.

Frank K3FSS

Status
Not open for further replies.