LCD display on 785D going bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

appleagenda

Premium Subscriber
I have read posts before about this happening, but haven't seen anything about how to fix it. Is this a common issue, and is there a way to address it that will cost less than the price of a new scanner?

The gear is old, of course, and it has served me well over the years (in fact, I have two of them), but it would be great to squeeze a little more life out of it, if it can be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, and best holiday wishes to everyone.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What is wrong with the display? No back light? Dim backlight? No text or numbers or fragmented display? Flickering display? No display of any kind?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I still have a 785D running in my mix of over 20 plus base scanners running been running 24/7 for over 18 years with no back light problems.
If it goes back to Uniden for repair it would be over $100 with shipping for repair. What is going out on the display?
You could always connect it to PROSCAN and view it on a computer monitor.

appleagenda

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for replying.

The idea of using Proscan is pretty much what I have resolved to, but I do rather enjoy the display on the scanner. The scanner itself still performs like the champ that it is, so this isn't a show stopper, it is just an aesthetic nuisance.

Given the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words, this is probably best:

(I very sincerely apologize if external links are not allowed, but this seems the best way to describe the issue)

k3hal

Premium Subscriber
I have read posts before about this happening, but haven't seen anything about how to fix it. Is this a common issue, and is there a way to address it that will cost less than the price of a new scanner?

The gear is old, of course, and it has served me well over the years (in fact, I have two of them), but it would be great to squeeze a little more life out of it, if it can be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, and best holiday wishes to everyone.

hiya newbie...
funny...my 785d has the same issues...for years now because im too cheap to have uniden fix it! my cure (and it works every time) is to give it a sharp smack directly over the display! it wakes up right away. there has to be a funky connection inside but the firm tap works every time. have fun!

appleagenda

Premium Subscriber
Buddrousa, Do you happen to know where the contrast control is? I am embarrassed to even have to ask, but I can't locate the darned thing. There is a post here on RR where some people seemed to be arguing about whether or not a 780 has a contrast control. This is a 785, but I still couldn't find one. I did crank the brightness up, and that seems to have helped some, but there are some menu items that are still askew, like the attached files. One from ProScan, the other from the scanner itself. Letters missing from the screen.

K3hal, LOL! I might just let my 7 year old grandson "borrow" this scanner for a few minutes. He is a great kid, but...we could manage to accidentally break a bank vault. He'd show this thing who is boss. :)

Last edited:

appleagenda

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so for the sake of posterity and closure, I will describe how I fixed this problem.

I plugged in the correct adapter. Seriously. Wires behind the desk got mixed up, and the adapter I was using was apparently underpowered.

I don't drink much, but...it might be a good time to start. Thanks everyone. :)

garys

Premium Subscriber
I recommend Single Malt Scotch, aged a minimum of 12 years.

Okay, so for the sake of posterity and closure, I will describe how I fixed this problem.

I plugged in the correct adapter. Seriously. Wires behind the desk got mixed up, and the adapter I was using was apparently underpowered.

I don't drink much, but...it might be a good time to start. Thanks everyone. :)

appleagenda

Premium Subscriber
Truthfully, I have no idea what Lagavulin even tastes like. I just remember that Ron Swanson enjoyed it, and I made a mental note to pick up a bottle just for the pop culture fun of it. Apparently, he actually worked with Lagavulin to produce a branded version, "Lagavulin Offerman Edition Aged 11 Years".

Offerman did a great standup special that is on Netflix. It is called Nick Offerman: American Ham. So that brings us full circle, connecting whisky with a Uniden digital trunking scanner that also receives ham (bands).

"America is the only country that matters. If you want to experience other cultures, use an atlas or a ham radio." ---Ron Swanson, displaying his unique brand of obtuse idiocy

Status
Not open for further replies.