Icom: Learning Icom 726

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitechman94

Hello all, I recently purchased a used Icom 726 rig and and working to set up up my shack. I obtained my Technician license and have spent the past few months with an HT learning on the 2 Meter/70 cm bands. I am using a ladder line fed Dipole antenna and have it connected to the balanced terminals of an MFJ ATU. I want to start working the 6 and 10 Meter bands. I also want to be able to listen to the other Bands. I have good SWR. I am curious about something I hear on my Icom 726

I seem to run across a lot of frequencies while in the different modes (USB, LSB,.....) and there's only a solid/steady tone I hear that never changes. Being new to HAM and having only experience on an HT for 2M/70cm, I don't understand what these signals are. Is this normal? If so, what generates those steady tone/signals? Can someone enlighten me? I do pick up some interesting chatter on some of the bands. I just want to make sure that my rig is working ok. Any guidance anyone could give me would be very much appreciated. You can check out what I am referring to at the following Youtube link:
Kevin
KN4TIR

Hitechman94

Hello all, I also wanted to add the following

When I switch the icom 726 into AM mode there is total silence. regardless of squelch setting. There is never any static or tuned stations heard.

I found a youtube video this morning of a guy demonstrating an Icom 726 like mine and at approx 20 seconds into the video he switches from LSB to AM mode and static can be heard as expected and then he tunes to a frequency that has a guy talking on it. Can someone watch this video listed below titled "icom ic-726s rx"

After seeing this I feel confident my rig has some issues. I also notice that he doesn't have the solid/steady tones issue that I do. I barely turn the VFO knob on mine and I hit a frequency with the steady/solid tone. What do you think?
Kevin, KN4TIR
Bowling Green, KY

Art112

I’m not totally familiar with your rig. However if it tunes the shortwave bands you will come across tones in SSB which are sometimes AM stations. Switch to AM and you will here a voice, usually a broadcast station or a ham on AM. Good examples are on 3.880 mhz in the evening. Tune on lower sideband. When you come across the tone switch to AM. You will hear some hams broadcasting on AM. 7.000 MHz, the 40 meter band, has many shortwave broadcasters and hams on AM. There are also signals that are within your neighborhood or house that can mix with the circuitry in your radio that can generate a tone or other noises. TV’s, wall warts, microwaves, WiFi routers are all capable of generating noise or tones on your radio. Also keep in mind some broadcasters will leave there RF carrier on with out broadcasting a voice or music on AM shortwave. Have fun with your radio.

Art. K2ADC

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
When you disconnect the antenna are the tones still there? If they are still there and very strong then yes.... the rig needs servicing. You might have a "birdie" tone occasionally on some bands without the antenna, but in general the tones you are getting will disappear (if they are from outside your radio) when you disconnect the antenna.

W3DMV

The frequency coverage of your receiver is .55-30Mhz and 50-54Mhz
Your dial indicates your tuning above 30Mhz (Outside the design specs.)
The tones sound like the receiver IF but your tunning is on 1Khz steps.
You need to slow the tuning speed down when tuning on all modes
other than FM or your going to miss many signals..
On AM, make sure the RF gain control is on max and try tuning around on
the AM broadcast band in the AM mode to see if that works ?
I owned on twenty five years ago and it was a nice little rig. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.