• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Legal ramifications of NAS programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjhamilton

I don't mean to be pedantic, but this isn't true. This is a feature for SUs that monitor multiple systems. In many instances, it is desirable to be able to scan TGs on other systems without affiliating, which can cause many different issues.

Legit radios are programmed scanning from a conventional channel? What issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wardaddy

Legit radios are programmed scanning from a conventional channel? What issues?

Doesn't have to be a conventional channel, a scanlist can be strapped to a trunking personality as well.

One agency might want to give another agency the ability to monitor a TG, but affiliation is not desirable because it utilizes additional system resources. This is especially problematic when the first agency utilizes a smaller system and the monitoring agency has 100+ users monitoring.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
It doesn't have to be inter-agency or inter-system.

Even on a radio's native system, you don't want it affiliating with every talkgroup in a scan list, nor do you want it affiliating and un-affiliating each times in moves from one scan list member to the next.

Sorry, gjhamilton - you've got this one wrong.

I don't see how making a system key with notepad violates any EULA or agreement. If it does then is your mind considered illegal because you can think?

This whole post is a stir the pot kind.

It violates nothing, and it is a stir-the-pot post, started and stickied by a moderator, which I find quite bizarre.

Speaking of moderators? Can a mod please contact me and tell me why I'm on moderation status? Or maybe please remove me from it? I'd PM you, but I can't!

wardaddy

It doesn't have to be inter-agency or inter-system.

Even on a radio's native system, you don't want it affiliating with every talkgroup in a scan list, nor do you want it affiliating and un-affiliating each times in moves from one scan list member to the next.

Another excellent point. This comes into play with some fireground accountability software as well.

gjhamilton

Doesn't have to be a conventional channel, a scanlist can be strapped to a trunking personality as well.

One agency might want to give another agency the ability to monitor a TG, but affiliation is not desirable because it utilizes additional system resources. This is especially problematic when the first agency utilizes a smaller system and the monitoring agency has 100+ users monitoring.

So your saying passive monitoring uses system resources or something?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Speaking of moderators? Can a mod please contact me and tell me why I'm on moderation status? Or maybe please remove me from it? I'd PM you, but I can't!

You'll need to contact Lindsay to discuss it but considering you were banned from the site under your old username, you might just have to live with it.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
I think when Congress eventually gets their collective head out of their *** and consumer "right to repair" (and modify, customize, retrofit, etc.) becomes law, you'll be able to do whatever you want with whatever you legally own as long as it does not violate other laws (ie, interfering with public safety communications, etc.). If they wanted to maintain complete control over their products from cradle to grave, they should have maintained ownership of it and only leased to departments, companies, etc. But that would have cost them more money to have longer warranty and service contracts, recycling programs, lost sales of the latest and greatest. You can look at all these software and programming "gotchas" and traps set by the radio manufacturers as a way of avoiding those responsibilities, but I believe in the end it will bite them in the butt and they will be forced to allow legitimate owners of radios access to tools and software and render some of the legal issues unenforceable.

Are you sniffing glue or something? "Right to repair" doesn't have ANYTHING to do with a manufacturer handing out free software to you. You buy the radio - you buy the CPS to program it. Nothing illegal or shady there. You want to repair your radio? Well guess what - Tuner is installed with the CPS. Problem solved. What you're saying makes zero sense.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but this isn't true. This is a feature for SUs that monitor multiple systems. In many instances, it is desirable to be able to scan TGs on other systems without affiliating, which can cause many different issues.

Who? Where? I work as a tech for a statewide agency that still needs to talk and sometimes listen to smaller systems that haven't been absorbed by the smaller agency. We arrange to get RIDs on the system and program their system for full talk access - for interoperability the one time a year it might be needed. Adding more RIDs to your system doesn't "create problems" to it nor does "monitoring the system". If your Control Channel is THAT jacked up... you have bigger issues.

Again... who? Where? Because that is an absolute inane comment that holds no water towards interoperability, or the "resources" on a system. Again, RIDs don't "drain resources" on a smaller system nor does a radio affiliating to monitor a TG already on that system.

And it also kills interop between agencies which is why we'll never use it.

Your location is listed as Ohio... so you're saying MARCS doesn't have any interoperability? You need someone to go back to the drawing board then. We have ZERO issue with statewide interoperability and encryption... ever. And I am talking about a statewide system the same size as MARCS.

The people commenting on here seem to be the same mouth-breathers that think "Well I have the radio and it works better than a scanner". I am with com501 - I am a vocal proponent to FULL system encryption, and my state will be mostly encrypted by end of 2018. GOODBYE random affiliations from idiots that cannot either program a radio or learn when it's over their head. GOODBYE to the neckbeard whackers thinking they can clog the scene while wearing an ARES vest thinking they contribute something. And after the switch is over and people learn to accept it - GOODBYE to people thinking they have some sort of "right" to monitor public safety traffic.

wardaddy

Who? Where?

I was just explaining the line of thinking when the feature was developed. Thank you for your service as a tech; having highly qualified techs behind the scenes helps ensure my portable is going to work when I need it to. Those of us on the front lines appreciate all that you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.