• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Legal ramifications of NAS programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
If you programmed your radio(s) with any form of "Depot" software that's a definite no-no as it's a MSI internal tool only (except it leaks out :mad:).

If you obtained a consumer version of CPS from somewhere other than MSI that is software piracy.

If you used a legal copy of CPS that YOU legally obtained you are good...Except....

You need a system key file. I'm pretty sure in your CPS EULA you agree to not modify the SW in any way and I'd bet using a .key file violates that agreement. Whether you made your own key or obtained it some other way doesn't matter.

So in actuality their is no legal way for someone not authorized on a system to legally program a MSI radio on a trunked system for NAS.

And all this refers to MSI radios, but I'd imagine other brands are pretty much the same.

Flame away!

Last edited:

gjhamilton

If you programmed your radio(s) with any form of "Depot" software that's a definite no-no as it's a MSI internal tool only (except it leaks out :mad:).

If you used a legal copy of CPS that YOU legally obtained you are good...Except....

You need a system key file. I'm pretty sure in your CPS EULA you agree to not modify the SW in any way and I'd bet using a .key file violates that agreement. Whether you made your own key or obtained it some other way doesn't matter.

So in actuality their is no legal way for someone not authorized on a system to legally program a MSI radio on a trunked system for NAS.

And all this refers to MSI radios, but I'd imagine other brands are pretty much the same.

Flame away!

Such a hater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I realize this is the M forum, but since you mentioned other brands... :)

Harris radios (and their predecessor brands) prior to RPM11 do not require any keys, special mods, etc. save a few large systems that had hard coded key requirements, a legal copy of RPM can easily program a radio for very safe monitoring of an EDACS or P25 system without any TX or affiliation.
I believe, based on discussions here, the BK KNG2 portable, once you select RX only, allows programming without a key.

So, there are safer options than an M radio. The safest being Unication, as it has no transmitter. Perhaps the new Uniden will rival it for safe and crisp monitoring.

Any local laws regarding possession of radios likely apply on all cases.

romanr

" So in actuality their is no legal way for someone not authorized on a system to legally program a MSI radio on a trunked system for NAS."

If you have a legal copy of CPS, program all of the system frequencies into a CONVENTIONAL zone using RX-ONLY personalities with NAC=7FE, and scan them, you will hear all of the traffic on the system that is not encrypted.

Where has a law been broken?

gjhamilton

If you have a legal copy of CPS, program all of the system frequencies into a CONVENTIONAL zone using RX-ONLY personalities with NAC=7FE, and scan them, you will hear all of the traffic on the system that is not encrypted.

He’s not talking about that method, which is pretty useless on a busy system.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I think when Congress eventually gets their collective head out of their *** and consumer "right to repair" (and modify, customize, retrofit, etc.) becomes law, you'll be able to do whatever you want with whatever you legally own as long as it does not violate other laws (ie, interfering with public safety communications, etc.). If they wanted to maintain complete control over their products from cradle to grave, they should have maintained ownership of it and only leased to departments, companies, etc. But that would have cost them more money to have longer warranty and service contracts, recycling programs, lost sales of the latest and greatest. You can look at all these software and programming "gotchas" and traps set by the radio manufacturers as a way of avoiding those responsibilities, but I believe in the end it will bite them in the butt and they will be forced to allow legitimate owners of radios access to tools and software and render some of the legal issues unenforceable.

KevinC

Super Moderator
" So in actuality their is no legal way for someone not authorized on a system to legally program a MSI radio on a trunked system for NAS."

Using your method no law has probably been broken, but your method isn't what is referred to as NAS (No Affiliate Scan).

Next???

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
All of these issues are a non-issue with a Relm KNG series portable which can be legally purchased from an authorized Relm dealer, and software/cable also legally purchased from said dealer.

No hacking, software modification or system keys are necessary. The "RX only" mode is officially factory supported on the KNG. No RF will ever be emitted by your radio on the control or traffic channel , no affiliation requests will ever come from your radio at all.

Or, buy a Unication G5, which doesn't have a transmitter (other than a Bluetooth radio!) and program away, again with factory software and standard USB cable.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Harris radios do good on not affiliation..if programmed correctly

gjhamilton

Or, buy a Unication G5, which doesn't have a transmitter (other than a Bluetooth radio!) and program away, again with factory software and standard USB cable.

These are proving to work really well, especially on TDMA systems. You get all the features of an expensive subscriber unit for a fraction of the price.

romanr

Using your method no law has probably been broken, but your method isn't what is referred to as NAS (No Affiliate Scan).

Next???

It's not affiliated. It is scanning, and you can limit the traffic heard to specific NACs and/or talkgroups. This might seem like nit-picking, but it is a valid contradiction of the sweeping statement made.

I don't have a dog in this hunt other than the entertainment value of watching passionate discourse.

N4KVE

It's not affiliated. It is scanning, and you can limit the traffic heard to specific talkgroups.
I'd be interested in how to do this. I listen to a small local city this way, & it follows the conversation very well, but it would be quite useless for the much larger county system. But I would be very interested in listening to 2 local TG's on the county system w/o the NAS.

gjhamilton

It's not affiliated. It is scanning, and you can limit the traffic heard to specific NACs and/or talkgroups. This might seem like nit-picking, but it is a valid contradiction of the sweeping statement made.

I don't have a dog in this hunt other than the entertainment value of watching passionate discourse.

The way you’re doing it is your scanning the conventional voice channels. The NAS method is a Radio that’s programmed just like a subscriber but the TG are scanned from a conventional channel so the radio thinks it’s out of range and doesn’t try to affiliate.

KevinC

Super Moderator

No, it's not a contradiction. We are talking about 2 completely different methods.

Next???

wardaddy

...the TG are scanned from a conventional channel so the radio thinks it’s out of range and doesn’t try to affiliate.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but this isn't true. This is a feature for SUs that monitor multiple systems. In many instances, it is desirable to be able to scan TGs on other systems without affiliating, which can cause many different issues.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
The fact that this is even sticky-ed is a joke. The statements in the OP are taken as fact coming from a court or lawyer when that are not even accurate.

"You need a system key file. I'm pretty sure in your CPS EULA you agree to not modify the SW in any way and I'd bet using a .key file violates that agreement. Whether you made your own key or obtained it some other way doesn't matter.

So in actuality their is no legal way for someone not authorized on a system to legally program a MSI radio on a trunked system for NAS."

First of all there is no ELUA for APX or XTS CPS. There is a "General Software License Agreement" and a "Customer Programming Software License Agreement". If you actually read these there is nothing in them that would prohibit you from using a software system key that you created.

While I do not support people hacking or accessing a system, or people programming radio for NAS with out advanced knowledge of radios and CPS, feeding them BS info and scare tactics do not help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.