• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Leixen VV-898SP "Read From Radio" Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandom

Radio Furry
Greetings one and all!

So I'm having a rather annoying issue reading from my radio. I've tried everything, leading up to finally posting my problem here. When I go to read information from radio, I've recently been getting an "ERROR" message. It doesn't display as a popup, or anything invasive. Instead the computer and radio think a successful "read" just occurred, but it sneaks an error in there anyway. I feel like I'm missing something stupid simple.

So here is my setup. Radio is a Leixen VV-898SP (Backpack Version) with the standard setup with stock antenna and mic. Radio pack is fully charged when off the wall, so power isnt an issue here. I'm using two different, but similar programming cables to connect it to my Windows Xp Professional SP3 32-bit machine. (Both cables Im using are stock USB-RJ45 programming cables shipped with this radio. They have worked for me in the passed.) Ive been using CHIRP (latest build) and the VV898 User v03 software to try getting the info from this radio. I haven't attempted the Jetstream JT270 program yet, but I feel the results would be similar.

After setting the proper Com Port, and making sure the stock USB to RJ45 cable was connected, I turn on the radio, and attempt to read. The radio will say "Waiting" on the display, and will take about 30 seconds for CHIRP to read it all. It all seems like its reading ok. In CHIRP, the error message appears in the first channel. A little strange. Picture below.
Apologies in advance! I know the pictures are hard to look at. I had to take pictures of my screen.

13939561_313289462350048_2857381148662510512_n.jpg

I attempted using the Jet settings comparable with this radio, to no avail.

13903287_313289769016684_6191330664918655277_n.jpg

I tried reading it in the Leixen 1.03 programming software (Version 200.100.3), and it will pop up with a box "Please check all connections and communication port settings!"
I know darn well my connections are sound (drivers installed and working) and my com ports are set correctly.

What could I be doing wrong? Thank you for any input.

Tandom

Radio Furry
UPDATE

So I ran another test. I decided to enter in a few random freqs into chirp, just to see it they would load into the radio. I entered:
CH1 467.825000
CH2 468.925000
CH3 461.882500
CH4 468.112500
CH5 460.515000
*Note: These freqs are just tests. I have no idea where they go. I just entered in anything for the sake of this test,
Went and wrote them to radio. Radio reset, and took the frequencies. Great! Went back to CHIRP and wanted to know if it would read them all back. Checked "Read from radio" and waited. The results are a bit annoying.

In this test, it brought back all the frequencies, except for CH1, and left it with 0.000000 "ERROR" in CHIRP. The radio however has the freq. Its as if CHIRP just doesnt want anything to do with CH1.

I suppose I can still work with this and just ignore CH1, but why..

kc5uta

I've been having a "same but different" issue with mine. CHIRP would program it just fine, but the memory channels on the radio do not match the data. for example ch1 is 146.580 on the computer, and it would show as ch36 (or some other random number), and only program up to 40 memories. I went to the "Miklor" website Leixen Jetstream Software VHF/UHF - Miklor and found for MY "Leixen vv-898E" version specific for v1.07 (found on underside panel bottom right of right label. Have not had the chance to test it out yet. I plan on it tonight after work. Hope this helps....Dave

kc5uta

update...I ran the leixen software (not CHIRP) specific to MY radio version. It fixed my problems. Now I just have to manually enter the info I need into the spreadsheets, and get familiar with the channel A channel B thing, and explore what the different options are.....Good luck.....Dave

danesgs

LEIXEN programming issues

First let me say that Chirp will "get around" most comm errors versus the native software that comes with the various radios. That being said, CHIRP has some strange issues of its own with these rigs. I use the stock Leixen programming software that comes with the radio and heres why. First its a little more robust in the settings department, You have total control even to setting the date/time stamp on the rig. Second it seems to be faster than CHIRP in downloads and uploads. Bare in mind though that the software is specific for each version of the radio. Even though the VV-898 and the VV-898S 25 watt radio are Identical in function, each has a different firmware version and are not compatible programming wise. The older V 1.05 software works fine on the VV-898 10 watter's but the other versions do not. See the Miklor site for details.

Dan Planets CHIRP has saved my bacon more than once when it came to various Chinese radios setup but in the case of the Leixen models I prefer the native software that comes with the rig.

Tandom

Radio Furry
Dan Planets CHIRP has saved my bacon more than once when it came to various Chinese radios setup but in the case of the Leixen models I prefer the native software that comes with the rig.

Yep!

I recently went back to this issue, and ended up going with the native software. Cleared it right up. As much as I prefer a platform that's universal (where as chirp is trying to become), some rigs just need a program for its self. That being said, I'm sure Dan Planet will tweak CHIRP a little more to correct these Leixen issues, in due time.

Some things are better with legacy software. Can't program an HT1000 without DOS for example. In this case, not all Leixen rigs will work with CHIRP (yet)

rsklar

Feed Provider
v 1.08

So I have a v1.08 radio and cannot find the Leixen software for it. I have tried the 1.07 software from the Leixen website and it does not read the radio. CHIRP will read and write to the radio but only like 5 channels actually show up and the P keys are not programmed correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

M0FLF

Same issue

RSKLAR.

Did you ever find the correct software version for your radio? A friend has brought this radio to me and I am having no luck programming it either. I have tried every version of the programming software availble from the Leixen web site with no success.

CHIRP reads from the radio and alledgedly writes to the radio but nothing changes on the radio once written.

This is also a ver. 1.08. Could this be a Windows 10 issue, I don't have a windows 7 machine here to test with :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.