License expired - past 2 year grace period

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanesce

I got my HAM no code tech licence about 15 years ago, so that would make it 3 years past the grace period to renew. Could someone please point me in the correct direction to re-certify me? Do I need to retest all over again like I was never licenced, pay a fee to reinstate, etc?

I found my old radio in storage and am interested in getting back my licence to further my hobby. Thanks :)

n5ims

From W5YI.com (one of the authorized testing organizations): "Amateur operator licenses may be renewed any time during a filing window of 90 days before license expiration -- or up to 2 years after your license has expired. After the 2 year "grace period" is up, your license is canceled by the FCC and removed from their database. To regain you amateur license privileges you will have to retake all of the needed examinations and you will be assigned a new call sign. Once a new license has been granted you may be able to get your old call sign back by filing for it through the Vanity System."

Link --> W5YI-VEC : Amateur License Renewals / Address Changes

James04TJ

Just take the current technician exam over again. That is the only way to become licensed again. The current version of the exam is even easier than that of 15 years ago. I have had folks pass the exam without studying that know nothing at all about radios except for how to push the PTT and talk. Take a few of the online practice tests at QRZ.com and go sit for the exam.

evanesce

Thanks guys. It takes a while to search arrl in the sea of mess they call a website to find specific info on expired licences. Unfortunately there's no testing areas in my area until late june!! I wish it was sooner.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"And the same is true for ARRL VEC program also."

HUH? I would imagine so, it's FCC rules and regulations so it has nothing whatsoever to do with the VE program no matter which group, club or organization administers the test.

K

kb0nly

Thanks guys. It takes a while to search arrl in the sea of mess they call a website to find specific info on expired licences. Unfortunately there's no testing areas in my area until late june!! I wish it was sooner.

Two questions...

1. Where are you located?

2. Do you remember what your old callsign was?

Reason... If we knew your location perhaps we could recommend some local clubs to get in touch with, though you might have already if you know of a testing session in June. But still there is a possibility that there might be something going on you don't know about. Our local clubs up here have held a session for a single person to test at their request, mainly due to the fact that we only have one or two regular events per year, hamfest and field day.

If we knew your previous callsign we could check quickly to see if its in use currently, though you can do the same through QRZ.COM Callsign Database and the FCC ULS.

Funny how many hams let their license expire and then realize they want to get back in! We are still here waiting for you to join back in as life permits!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When it comes to researching callsign history, I like N4MC's Vanity HQ better. His database has records for each time a license was issued, renewed, or updated so you can see who held the call previously and which previous calls a licensee had.

evanesce

My callsign is free, just listed as expired.

I'm located in upstate New York. Albany to be exact.

tmfok7

Well if it is late June, you have plenty of time to practice and make sure you know it. You might even go for General! One other site you can take practice tests is "AA9PW.com"

73 and Good luck!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"how is it free?"

Free, meaning in the available pool. If he wants it back he can retest, then once licensed apply for his old call under the vanity program and cancel the new one sending it into callsign limbo for two years. Since the old one has been inactive for more than two years it's back in the pool and available. As an aside UK callsigns are for life so all one has to do is renew the license, they're never reassigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.