Lightning protection/arrestor for duplex wire

montyhouse

I am building a ham shack on remote property which will be powered solely by solar/12v battery. I'll have two coax cables entering and one duplex wire from my solar array that I was going to have enter via a Powerpole wall mount (less than 30A). I'll have a SPGP mounted on the shack wall to which I'll attach lightning arrestors for each coax. My question is what can I use for the solar duplex wire that would short upon a surge and dump onto a ground wire similar to the coax arrestors?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You didnt' specify the voltage but I've used a coupel on 48V power plants. Not cheap at all. Transector is the big guy in that world but sure others exist. Current will drive proce up. If its low current they do have some cheap options.

prcguy

I use one of these on my home 12V solar system. I have 400w of solar panels going to a charge controller then batteries then a Polyphaser IS-12VDC-50A-NG lightning suppressor between the battery and my equipment. This device handles up to 50A of current and starts clamping at around 18V. It doesn't protect my charge controller but those are very cheap these days. I got this one off eBay years ago for no more than $40 new in box and I've seen others for sale cheap.

montyhouse

I use one of these on my home 12V solar system. I have 400w of solar panels going to a charge controller then batteries then a Polyphaser IS-12VDC-50A-NG lightning suppressor between the battery and my equipment. This device handles up to 50A of current and starts clamping at around 18V. It doesn't protect my charge controller but those are very cheap these days. I got this one off eBay years ago for no more than $40 new in box and I've seen others for sale cheap.

With 400w solar array, aren't you producing considerably more than 18v? When it "clamps," what happens to the amps coming in?

prcguy

With 400w solar array, aren't you producing considerably more than 18v? When it "clamps," what happens to the amps coming in?
The open circuit voltage off my panels is around 19 to 21 volts. When I short out the panels it just draws about 20A and heats up the wiring a little. Some types of chargers simply run the panels to the battery until the voltage gets to about 14.2 volts then they short out the panels. As long as the charger is rated for the max current from the panels it works fine.

For the Polyphaser lightning arrestor I think it’s rated to 50 volts then it clamps. If that were to happen it would be sinking about 20A off the panels.

montyhouse

You didnt' specify the voltage but I've used a coupel on 48V power plants. Not cheap at all. Transector is the big guy in that world but sure others exist. Current will drive proce up. If its low current they do have some cheap options.
12v. Thanks for the heads-up on Transtector. I have a relative in the electrical supply business, and they don't stock them and didn't know of them. This is the model I'm looking at, but I'm not buying until I speak to someone in their tech support team. I used the Chat function and got connected to someone who couldn't answer Question 1 about the product. Why are these people customer-facing?? :mad: