LIMA Emergency 2: 243.0000

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Some consumer electronics products put out junk that sounds like alternating tones on 243.0.
ELTs make a down-swept siren sound.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Likely an (older) ELT, probably activated by mistake, but you never know. Are you also getting a signal on 121.5?

If you're in a dense area, it's unlikely that there's a plane crash that no one else knows about. But if it;s a false activation, that can interfere with legitimate SAR activity if there is an emergency. So it's worth reporting. It's not a bad idea to call the nearest Coast Guard office and let them know what you're receiving and where you're located.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Some consumer electronics products put out junk that sounds like alternating tones on 243.0.
ELTs make a down-swept siren sound.

Yikes, never encountered that, though I have seen electric smart meters that throw out carriers near there, Good thing the 121.5/243 beacons are being phased out.

I've seen ELTs that aren't a sweep siren, though, so I think a two tone signal could still be an ELT. My advice to the original poster would be to see if the signal is still there from a different location, and if so, report it. I've reported accidental ELT activations a couple times, and the CG has always been VERY appreciative.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Was a solid tone, most likely interference from what is posted. I am in Plainview, not far from Republic. Find it odd that they allow that kind of interference on an emergency channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.