Limited Room For Antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDaddy

Okay Kids... I have a problem I need help with.

I'm wanting to put a scanner antenna in the atic of my home. I only have height room of 60 inches.

I live 25-30 miles from each of the 4 towns I want to monitor. Most are in the 155. range and I'll be running appox 70 ft of coax. There are no digital or trunking systems in my area of Carroll County, Missouri.

What antenna & coax would you suggest.

I currently have a scantenna mounted on the wall of my garage and works very well but this antenna will not fit in the atic.

Thanks for your input.

N9WP

The Radio Shack 20-176 is a great antenna for vhf in the 155mhz range and only costs 25 bucks. I have 2, one in the attic and one mounted outside. Very small antenna too. Does ok on 800mhz but really well in the 155mhz range. I would pair it up with good quality coax like lmr-400. I've read here on RadioReference that the 20-176 comes very close to what the scantenna can do but I don't have one of those to compaire.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I will second what N9WP said. I have that antenna in my attic, and it does work very well, especially on VHF high band. Mine is fed with RG-6 coax, but the total run is probably only 30 to 40 feet or so. I would use LMR400 if my run was much longer than what it is. Also my attic space is only maybe three feet high at most, so no room for a larger antenna, such as a Scantenna.

How about a really simple VHF antenna suitable for your application and cheap. It is known as a coaxal sleeve antenna. Select your coaxal cable of your choice preferably that will accept the proper connector that mates with your radio wihtout using any adaptors. Determine the correct length with about 6-10 ft extra. For the antenna let's assume a VHF 155 MHz antenna; remove approxmately 2 feet of the outer covering revealing the braid, then fold the braid back over the cable working the braid down the cable, smoothing it as you go. You should now have the center insulator exposed above and the braid below with the coax continuing below the braid. Trim the center insulater containing the center conductor to 18 inches; trim the braid down to about 19 inches. Tape the braid to the coax to hold it in place. Use a wire tie to secure the center insulater to a piece of string and then hang it to a interior rafter, run the other end of the coax to the radio, install the connector and enjoy.

Ok all you antenna critics out there start opining now.

Taloniilm

I'd pass on the RS coax and go with the LMR 400 for that length of run. If you prefer RG-6 then go to Walmart and get the Phillips Quad shield...it's better and cheaper ! Let us know how it turns out.

FYI: A buddy of mine has two of the same antennas in his attic suspended by string. He has found that tilting the antenna towards the target improves reception. It's worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.