Listening cordless phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

rescue161 said:
It's only illegal if he lives in the United States (not sure about Canada).

Is it also illegal for me to monitor MY OWN cordless phone's radio transmissions on my scanner while I'm using the phone at the same time and listening to the exact same conversation?

WA1CRZ

n1das said:
Is it also illegal for me to monitor MY OWN cordless phone's radio transmissions on my scanner while I'm using the phone at the same time and listening to the exact same conversation?
LOL! TFF!

mciupa

n1das said:

Yes , you may have to take yourself to court and sue for damages.:wink:

HelixArray

I know that some, if not the majority of scanners sold over in Europe don't contain the diodes that block out certain freqs that the FCC makes the manufacture block in the US.

Regarding the legalities in the US, I was always under the impression that it is/used to be like this below.

From a RS manual.

"According to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (EC-
PA), you are subject to fines and possible imprisonment for in-
tentionally listening to, using, or divulging the contents of such
a transmission unless you have the consent of a party to the
communication (unless such activity is otherwise illegal). "

Last edited:

Don_Burke

jan_brasco said:
My question is there are some digital scanner for example Uniden BCD996T and Uniden BCD396T. so with these scanners can i listen or monitor the cordless phones? because these are digital so i should listen the digital cordless phones !!! !!!
If indeed it is legal to listen to cordless phone where you are, you will need a scanner that will cover the band(s) they transmit on in your location. A digital scanner would be a waste of money as the systems are incompatible. Digital cordless phone transmissions are going to be out of reach unless you either catch one that is only digital in one direction, or build a system to decode the digital.
jan_brasco said:
I want to listen cordless phones i dont care that its digital or not, in fact i want to monitor? What should i do? What kind of equipment should i need for that?
Figure out what bands you need to cover and see above.

Status
Not open for further replies.