Listening cordless phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan_brasco

Hello guys,

I read so many threads about monitoring cordless phones. The answer for can i monitor them is yes or no. Everyone says that you can monitor if its not digital however if its digital you can't.

My question is there are some digital scanner for example Uniden BCD996T and Uniden BCD396T. so with these scanners can i listen or monitor the cordless phones? because these are digital so i should listen the digital cordless phones !!! !!!

I want to listen cordless phones i dont care that its digital or not, in fact i want to monitor? What should i do? What kind of equipment should i need for that? Please help me . I have been searching for 10 days but there is no clear and certain informations on internet.

Thank you so much from now for your answers.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
jan_brasco said:
Hello guys,

I read so many threads about monitoring cordless phones. The answer for can i monitor them is yes or no. Everyone says that you can monitor if its not digital however if its digital you can't. .

I thought this horse was dead already.

This is a yes and no question. Let's go ahead and get the biggest challenge out of the way 1st. It is a FELONY to monitor cordless phones, just as it is for monitoring cellular.

My question is there are some digital scanner for example Uniden BCD996T and Uniden BCD396T. so with these scanners can i listen or monitor the cordless phones? because these are digital so i should listen the digital cordless phones !!! !!!

If the phone is digital, you CANNOT monitor it with just a digital scanner. These digital scanner are made to work with Digital APCO Project 25 radio transmissions. Cordless phones do not use this. Therefore, your scanner will only intercept analog phones.

I want to listen cordless phones i dont care that its digital or not, in fact i want to monitor? What should i do?

I would suggest:
A - Find a new hobby
B - Consult your attorney
C - Start lifting weights now. You're going to want some muscle ahead of time where you're going. The 1st week is rough in the pen...

What kind of equipment should i need for that? Please help me . I have been searching for 10 days but there is no clear and certain informations on internet.

That's because it is ILLEGAL. Granted, the internet is a wonderful place to learn about illegal things but this is TABOO. It is a FELONY. Stay AWAY from the phones. Find something else to do. I promote the radio monitoring hobby in every way shape and form but this is an abosolute no no.

Thank you so much from now for your answers.

I hope my answers are meaningful. I'm not trying to be mean in anyway but you're messing with a pandora's box here.

Last edited:

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Mmmm tasty crow

rescue161 said:
It's only illegal if he lives in the United States (not sure about Canada).

You are correct. I get tunnel vision on here somedays and forget that we have members from all over the globe. If you're outside the US, carry on...

trace1

Last edited:

gcgrotz

Since it seems to be legal where you are, you should put your scanner on close-call and go stand next to the cordless. that will give you an idea of what bands to search. If it is digital, it may be spread spectrum and your scanner will not hear it because it sounds like noise. No way I know of to decode that. Typically in the US the 46-49 MHz channels are just narrowband FM but the 900 MHz (and some 2.4 GHz) are a sort-of wideband 50KHz FM. That is to say too wide for normal FM on your scanner (distorted audio) and not wide enough for FM broadcast bandwidth (low audio).

In a former life I worked on cordless phones.

Good luck and be safe!

k8tmk

You guys who choose to break laws you can get away with make me wonder about your character in general.

What else do you do? Speed on the highway, do drugs, incest, child abuse, drink and drive?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
There are different band plans as well, not just 49/900/2.4/5.8, etc. In Spain, there were several in the 200 MHz and 140 MHz spectrum. You just have to scan around to find them. I listened to them all the time when I was in Spain as well as decoding pagers. It was pretty boring for the most part, but fun to experiment.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
k8tmk said:
You guys who choose to break laws you can get away with make me wonder about your character in general.

What else do you do? Speed on the highway, do drugs, incest, child abuse, drink and drive?

Holy crap man. He's already stated that it is LEGAL WHERE HE LIVES. I did the same when I was in Spain. It was not illegal to monitor that stuff there. I did it because the monitoring fun was almost nill. Now that I'm back in the States, there is no shortage of interesting things, so I listen to the good stuff (police, fire, etc).

I think it's pretty sad that you lumped folks that are doing something that is LEGAL in with a bunch of criminals.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
i have always felt that anyone that would invade their neighbors privacy by listening to their private conversations would also go peak in their windows. so i hope your neighbors have good window shades. A voyeur is a voyeur is a voyeur.

elk2370bruce

Think about it. The overwhelming majority of cell calls deal with "bring home a gallon of milk" or similar mundane topics. Elicit sexual encounters or high-level business discussions where you get insider stock trade info are rare. Then, there are the ethical issues discussed above. The choice is left for each to choose based on conscience or lack of same.

WA1CRZ

k8tmk said:
To answer your questions in order....

Yes
Use to, not anymore
Never
Nope (unless some Liberal thinks spanking is child abuse)
Did until I got caught

Mick

I was at my sister's house and was able to receive her 5.8 GHz cordless phone when I was searching the 406-420 MHz area. I was surprised!

jan_brasco

I think we should ask this question How may digital cordless phones are there?????

For example philips has 3 digital if we think that philips is one of the best producer then we can say that most people are not using digital ones. So if its not digital then i can monitor it.

2222- What is the best scanner to monitor cordless phones ? now this is important for me? which one will you recommend?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Okay, this is not the Tavern, please stick to the topic at hand.

The OP claims he lives somewhere where it is legal to monitor phones and opinons of this practice is not relevant to the topic. Unless you are going to help the OP, stay out of the thread.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Jan and all,

Since you're in a foreign country why ask us? There is little doubt your frequency assignments are different and so are digital modes so you're barking up the wrong tree.

End of story I should ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.