Listening in to Albuquerque PD on GRE PSR 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0ZBQ

I can't seem to figure out how to pick up Albuquerque police on my GRE-PSR 800. I am very new to modern scanners and have tried a number of different things. I went into the GRECOM software and added the sites and the talk group IDs. is there anything else I need to do? I've been able to pick up nearly all other agencies.

Oddly enough, I can hear all the chatter I want from an app on my iPhone, but can't hear it from the scanner...

If it helps, here is the page I've been referencing:
Albuquerque / Bernalillo County Trunking System, Albuquerque, New Mexico - Scanner Frequencies

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Hi KB0ZBQ! The scanner you have, the PSR-800 is unable to monitor the type of digital signal ABQ uses. They use provoice and there isn't a scanner that can decode this type of digital signal.

The reason you can hear ABQ on your iPhone app is because someone has an actual EDACS radio that supports provoice and is feeding it online for all of us to hear.

You might want to look into the DSD software.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package)

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Honestly I would not waste your time on messing with DSD software. This is a project that is very difficult to learn and you will pull your hair out trying to learn and make it work properly. I would contact the feed provider which this feed is not an official feed.

this person might point you in the right direction to find and EDACS Digital Provoice radio if that's what you really want. If the cops have not beaten down this guys door for providing a feed over the internet then I believe you might be safe to have ones of these radios in passive receive only mode. Its worth looking into since feeds can only broadcast main dispatch channels, not tacticals or anything else on the system. Good Luck

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
DSD works great! Best part about it is that it doesn't require a scanner to work but only some $25 USB dongles. I wouldn't talk down this method because it costs far less than getting an EDACS radio and some people might not have any trouble getting it set up.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I am sure glad they have not beaten down my door its cold outside and snowing today lol. I have never played with DSD and I would not talk it down as I know there ar many people who have good luck with it. And I think you can get a EDACS radio with Prvoice now for about the same as a good scanner. EDACS is on the way out with Harris I think next year they are dropping support for EDACS. That being said there is a lot of EDACS stuff floating around with and with out Provoice installed.

KB0ZBQ

Hi KB0ZBQ! The scanner you have, the PSR-800 is unable to monitor the type of digital signal ABQ uses. They use provoice and there isn't a scanner that can decode this type of digital signal.

The reason you can hear ABQ on your iPhone app is because someone has an actual EDACS radio that supports provoice and is feeding it online for all of us to hear.

You might want to look into the DSD software.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package)

Dam! I figured that was the case. I have just been having some trouble with the scanner (like trying to listen to CB), so I figured I'd check.

DSD might be over my head. Why are there no scanners available that can listen to this system? Is this because there's no market for such a scanner? Or are the police trying to keep it out of our hands?

Honestly I would not waste your time on messing with DSD software. This is a project that is very difficult to learn and you will pull your hair out trying to learn and make it work properly. I would contact the feed provider which this feed is not an official feed.

this person might point you in the right direction to find and EDACS Digital Provoice radio if that's what you really want. If the cops have not beaten down this guys door for providing a feed over the internet then I believe you might be safe to have ones of these radios in passive receive only mode. Its worth looking into since feeds can only broadcast main dispatch channels, not tacticals or anything else on the system. Good Luck

It would be nice if I could listen in, but it's really not that important. I was more concerned with the radio not working and/or me not knowing how to use it. Do the police really care that much about feeds like this?

DSD works great! Best part about it is that it doesn't require a scanner to work but only some $25 USB dongles. I wouldn't talk down this method because it costs far less than getting an EDACS radio and some people might not have any trouble getting it set up.

Do you have any links showing how to do this?

I am sure glad they have not beaten down my door its cold outside and snowing today lol. I have never played with DSD and I would not talk it down as I know there ar many people who have good luck with it. And I think you can get a EDACS radio with Prvoice now for about the same as a good scanner. EDACS is on the way out with Harris I think next year they are dropping support for EDACS. That being said there is a lot of EDACS stuff floating around with and with out Provoice installed.

Are you the Albuquerque PD feed provider?

Are you saying that Albuquerque police will not be using it much longer? If so, it's probably not worth much to get setup to listen.

Thanks for the help everyone! You guys are amazing!

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Why are there no scanners available that can listen to this system?

As I understand it, ProVoice is proprietary and scanner manufacturers would need to pay the owners (Harris, I believe) for the ability to include it in their products. Harris chooses not to do this for two reasons. 1) It allows the company to tell customers (like APD/BernCo) that transmissions on their system "can't" be listened to by owners of typical consumer grade scanners. 2), Agencies that go with EDACS with ProVoice must purchase all of their radio equipment from Harris since no other companies are allowed to include ProVoice.

Or are the police trying to keep it out of our hands?
In a way, yes. I feel, though, the real idea is to limit who is listening in. To my knowledge, they have done nothing to stop the online feed providers, one of whom is KOB-TV.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Yes I am the feed provider of APD and BCSO and Yes Harris owns the rights to Provoice. I am not sure how much longer it will be around I know that the city Is looking into a system upgrade to a 700/800mhz system unsure much else on the upgrade.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well listen why you can because if APD is already using Digital Provoice for security then when they migrate over to a Phase I or Phase II system LE will be Encrypted for sure.

Fire I think is using Digital too. So most likely is that all of LE will be fully encrypted because of the trend and fire mostly likely will be digital in the clear to even out the system and try and keep the general public and the tax payers happy.

The city will say heh look all of officers are safe now because of this new fully encrypted system but we left Fire talkgroups open in the clear for anybody in the city that has a scanner that wants to listen for emergencies.

Hey tax payers we did a 50/50 split and we as a county are safer than we have ever been. Everybody will drink the Kool-Aid and say wow. But its all Dirty un-true Kool Aid. Just like when Jim Jones told everybody that the Kool-Aid was good and safe.

Enjoy the days left.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm cautiously optimistic. Currently, APD and BCSO only have a handful of encrypted talkgroups. Will they go 100% encrypted with the new system? Maybe...maybe not. Perhaps they'll go with MotoTRBO.

We'll find out in a few years when they finally deploy whatever they end up implementing.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
HAHA Trbo yeah I don't think that will happen. I don't think it will be a fully encrypted the cost are high to do that. Now they may have more channels go encrypted but I bet dispatch stays the same. Guess we will wait and see

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The next system will be P25 Phase 2 and will easily have more encryption then we care to think about. Encryption is SUPER cheap on the new radios they are getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.