Little Rock Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodiebnew

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any info on the status of the Little Rock area upgrade to digital? How much longer maybe?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Initial testing and changing of equipment etc will commence with Fire Departments over the next 2 or so months, with everyone else going later. Completion in 4 to 6 months. Assuming no complications etc...

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
That depends on how fast we get the information submitted to us. :cool:

ackliph

Premium Subscriber
Do you guys know what kind of system they will upgrade to? I have a PRO-106 and am curious if it will still scan them?

I use radios that operate on this system... I hope the upgrade is worth it. Right now most the people I work with cut off their first 2 words because they don't wait after keying up. :-\

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
They are upgraqding the current Type II to P-25, and it will be part of the AWIN. At this time it is unknown if they will upgrade to Phase II TDMA or not. As far as I have heard there isn't any mention of TDMA on the AWIN at all yet. With the complaints that have been made about overloading of the AWIN in the LR area, this at least will add more towers. Then again it will also add a massive amount of users. I am very surprised they have not begun phasing in TDMA on AWIN as it will double the capacity load. Yes it also would make scanner owners unhappy to start with since buying a new TDMA capable scanner means popping out $500 more bucks.

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
I am planning on getting the Uniden BCD-996XT, or the GRE-800 if they do go to type 2 . The system change will pretty much make a brick out of my RS-163, at least as far as central Arkansas is concerned. Thought I would wait just a bit, though. Probably get the relatively new Icom ID-51A to add to my D*Star line up first. Be my luck, I'll get the Icom and they'll get the system up the same week. Hate not being able to scan public service, though. I guess I have time for a little further thought. :cool:

Last edited:

weather4ar

TDMA might be in the future, but most likely they'll just use new smart zone controllers. No need to replace the P25 system just to expand it.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Once again, they are going full P-25 and converting ALL sites over to AWIN from the Type II. Eventually, AWIN will start doing the minor adjustments to have Phase II compliance. LR is the second system to switch over to AWIN, and there is at least one more making the switch very soon, with two others "thinking about it". FD's are getting the first "touches" so as to deal with all the possible SCBA issues etc, that are now well known and pretty easily dealt with. Then the LEA's will get their turn, then DPW etc. Total transition time factoring in new consoles, mobiles, HT's, minor, and major infrastructure work on the sites, and training, is about 6 months from now. If the economy really ever turns around and things really look up again, there are several counties that are looking at adding additiuonal AWIN sites to improve coverage etc. We will add/change info in the db as we get it. TY for your patience.

btritch

Yes it also would make scanner owners unhappy to start with since buying a new TDMA capable scanner means popping out $500 more bucks.

At least they can hear it, I have 3 over $500 scanners in the house and can't hear anything at all in this county and to top that am on a volunteer fire dept and still can't get the new stuff, There's a lot of unhappy folks around here, If I could buy a $500 scanner and hear them I'd be happy! Ha Ha! Also I noticed Russellville PD switched and they went encrypted which sucks, Is the LR systems going to open or are they going to be encrypted as well?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
At least they can hear it, I have 3 over $500 scanners in the house and can't hear anything at all in this county and to top that am on a volunteer fire dept and still can't get the new stuff, There's a lot of unhappy folks around here, If I could buy a $500 scanner and hear them I'd be happy! Ha Ha! Also I noticed Russellville PD switched and they went encrypted which sucks, Is the LR systems going to open or are they going to be encrypted as well?

I'm just curious if all of these unhappy people are making noise to the people who need to hear it...

weather4ar

At least in Russellville, you can still hear the Fire Department and EMS in the clear. We haven't had anything in LR encrypted on their current system, or AWIN. Conway PD is the only encryption of a trunked system. Conway FD is in clear digital voice. MEMS is also in the clear.

Last edited:

jhsands

Feed Provider
If Moto ops up that free ADP encryption to them, then I'm sure they will. Russellville have three police talkgroups with all three encrypted. They should turn the main dispatch encryption off and keep the other two for private stuff.

HSC55B

It may have been said already, but don't start holding your breath for TDMA on AWIN. Arkansas requested a waiver of the 700MHz narrowbanding deadline in 2016. Since the overwhelming majority of the 28K radios on the system are not TDMA capable, it's a pretty big deal even if and handful of sites use 700MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.