Live-Cams and police scanning, good mix...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone doing this to a highly sophisticated level? This weekend I am spending quite a bit of time with the police scanner. Twice now there has been a call within lens-shot of an Internet webcam. Hearing a call and then jumping to a live image of it on the Internet is fascinating if not a little bit creepy. If one indexed every webcam link (and yes, now that I have tried this, I'm on it) and were able to do this fairly consistently, it would be an awesome supplement to "monitoring the action". Am I late to the party on this, is everyone else already doing this with an organized list of live-cam links?

The image below is something I grabbed following a report of a man wanting to jump off Columbus at Columbus circle. I provide as an example...as of this posting this call/pic are about 15 minutes old only.

Attachments

• real_time.jpg
    real_time.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
This is common practice in my shack. I typically keep the traffic cam's book marked so when a job goes out for an MVA on a parkway, you get a birds eye view.

lafd55

The NYPD has many many cameras in the city, at least in Manhattan. They are used to spot perps after commiting a crime, if the suspect is wearing a green shirt and red hat you can enter that into the system and all the cameras will hit on someone wearing that description. There is a site call EarthCam which has some cameras in the city showing various locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.