LMPD Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewyb

Hi Friends,
I just got a Uniden BCD396XT for christmas that allows me to jump into the world of trunk-tracking. Thanks to FreeSCAN I was able to pretty easily program by downloading data directly from RadioReference. Thank goodness for that feature. I need some advice from locals. Has MetroSafe fully moved over to the trunked system or do I still need to install the old frequencies as well? I'd appreciate any advice on what I should program.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much everything public safety in Jefferson County has migrated to the MetroSafe system. There may be a few small city police departments that use old frequencies though I suspect they will be migrating soon.

Jefferson County fire still uses 152.0075 for firefighter paging, however that is patched to a MetroSafe talkgroup. Thus anything transmitted on that frequency is repeated on a MetroSafe talkgroup (JCF Page).

Probably would be good to note that other than the LMPD primary dispatch channels (Police 1-4) all the other LMPD talkgroups (such as the tactical and car to car channels) use the Motorola ADP encryption. Your BCD 396XT will receive these talkgroups, but you won't hear anything intelligible. (I have locked all these out in my scanner because of the annoying sound).

I'm pretty sure that most of the "old" VHF or UHF frequencies are narrowband compliant, so that is why they are no longer used.

Having said that, there is a Mutual Aid frequency accessible to emergency responders - 154.295 - that will be narrow banded. For the most part this frequency would be used if responders from adjacent counties have the need to communicate with agencies within Jefferson County.

Last edited:
OFD8001 until recently you could hear LMPD Div 6&7 and 1&2 on a broadcast but seems like those channels went into the dark about a few weeks ago,ive spent some time this evening on a detail scanning the old LMPD channels and cant get a single thing so im wondering if the broadcast was pulled or stopped? you mentioned Encrypted Channels for LMPD was that planned from the start or something that has been recently thought of? really saddens me if they do go encrypted as i work Security and i use those broadcasts to listen for any type of activity in my Security Area

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking my friends in the radio shop told me they were going shut down the old frequencies because they were not narrow band compliant.

Encrypting certain LMPD talkgroups was something planned from the "git-go". These are the tactical channels, special investigations channels, SWAT channels, NARC channels and so on.

Yeah I'd like to be able to listen to them too, but until there's a way to keep the bad guys from listening in. . . I guess that's just another one of them things in life where a very small number of bad folks have messed up things for the great number of good folks.

You still can hear the main dispatch channels (Police 1, Police 2, Police 3 and Police 4) and have some idea of what might be happening. They are not encrypted. Of course that's presuming you have a digital scanner. . .

Last edited:
Wish i had the Money for a Expensive Radio im running a Dual Band Radio VHF/UHF for GMRS/FRS/MURS for Work as well as my local Volunteer station i run out of i was relying on the broadcast for the longest for work several even purchased true VHF radios to recieve helps out alot knowing whats going around you when your protecting a crew or watching an area. Whats the Cost of a Apco 25 Digital that can do VHF/UHF also. Not interested in Transmitting on Apco just for pure listening but need to transmit on VHF/UHF for Work/FD

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
There are still the two analogue rebroadcast channels 460.1 and 155.580. I can only assume they leave these for interop/media.

Had a LMPD officer pull up and talk to me while I was out here on security he was talking on a car radio that was simplex car to car possibly the old system but all my freq scans have come up empty on the old channels can anyone advise what simplex channel they are using? It's not official talk either it's more of a BS channel from what he was saying

Status
Not open for further replies.