Locomotive antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine is giving me an antenna off a decommissioned locomotive, if I mount it 45 feet up on my tower should it work well for receiving trains on 160-161mhz?

kma371

QRT
A friend of mine is giving me an antenna off a decommissioned locomotive, if I mount it 45 feet up on my tower should it work well for receiving trains on 160-161mhz?

Sure if its an antenna tuned for that range.

There's probably more than just one antenna on locomotives, but that's a guess.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I've never seen a locomotive antenna that looked like that.

This appears to be a low-profile vehicle antenna installed on a base antenna conversion kit. In other words, take an NMO mount antenna, screw it onto the conversion kit, and put it up on a mast. The radials provide the ground plane that the vehicle body would provide.

Low profile antennas are not very good performers, especially on VHF. They'll work and they are better than nothing, but a 1/4 wave whip is usually better.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I've never seen a locomotive antenna that looked like that.

This appears to be a low-profile vehicle antenna installed on a base antenna conversion kit. In other words, take an NMO mount antenna, screw it onto the conversion kit, and put it up on a mast. The radials provide the ground plane that the vehicle body would provide.

Low profile antennas are not very good performers, especially on VHF. They'll work and they are better than nothing, but a 1/4 wave whip is usually better.

That's what I thought, it looks just like the low profile one I use on my truck for UHF except has radials...oh well, ..what do you recommend for optimal railroad reception? I'm using a Ringo Ranger ARX 2B is tuned for 160 & works fairly decent but I';m always looking to improve

prcguy

You will not find a locomotive or mobile antenna that will outperform your Ringo Ranger.

You can build a 4-bay exposed dipole array from instructions posted on RR, it's got the most gain you can achieve for it's size.
prcguy

That's what I thought, it looks just like the low profile one I use on my truck for UHF except has radials...oh well, ..what do you recommend for optimal railroad reception? I'm using a Ringo Ranger ARX 2B is tuned for 160 & works fairly decent but I';m always looking to improve

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Sure if its an antenna tuned for that range.

There's probably more than just one antenna on locomotives, but that's a guess.

Older locomotives have at least VHF and UHF.

Modern ones likely have 800/900mhz too

AK9R

Super Moderator
The rear coupler of the last car on the train carries at device known as the End of Train Device (EOTD) or Flashing Rear End Device (FRED). This is a box of electronics containing an electronic pressure measuring device, a radio transmitter, a flashing red light visible to other trains that might be approaching from the rear, and a battery. The pressure device is connected to the air brake hose so air brake pressure can be measured at the end of the train. The air pressure is then transmitted by radio over UHF to a companion device in the locomotive which is usually mounted on the control stand in front of the engineer. This data transmission is in short bursts roughly once a minute. If the engineer sees that the pressure drops at the rear of the train or if the receiver at his end loses communications with the transmitter at the end of the train, then the engineer knows he has a problem.

More modern EOTDs carry a motion sensor so the engineer can tell that the rear of the train is moving. There are also two-way EOTDs which allow the engineer to open a brake valve at the rear of the train by remote control. All of this communication is on UHF (452.9375/457.9375 MHz).

All of this electronics allowed the railroads to eliminate cabooses. A caboose had four primary functions: carry a guage so the conductor or rear brakeman could monitor the air brake pressure, carry a valve so the conductor or rear brakeman could operate the train brakes from the rear of the train, carry a flag or light to warn oncoming trains, and carry the conductor and rear brakeman. The EOTD performs the first three functions and since they are being done remotely, you really don't need the conductor on the rear of the train.

I'm sure Jason will fill in any details I overlooked and he can give you a better idea how train air brakes work. He plays with real trains; I just watch them go by.

Also, there are some remote locomotive control systems that use UHF.

Last edited:

DPD1

The only thing you are interested in is the VHF voice stuff. I doubt that came off a train. Looks like some sort of GHz modified base thing.

timkilbride

Database Admin
The rear coupler of the last car on the train carries at device known as the End of Train Device (EOTD) or Flashing Rear End Device (FRED). This is a box of electronics containing an electronic pressure measuring device, a radio transmitter, a flashing red light visible to other trains that might be approaching from the rear, and a battery. The pressure device is connected to the air brake hose so air brake pressure can be measured at the end of the train. The air pressure is then transmitted by radio over UHF to a companion device in the locomotive which is usually mounted on the control stand in front of the engineer. This data transmission is in short bursts roughly once a minute. If the engineer sees that the pressure drops at the rear of the train or if the receiver at his end loses communications with the transmitter at the end of the train, then the engineer knows he has a problem.

More modern EOTDs carry a motion sensor so the engineer can tell that the rear of the train is moving. There are also two-way EOTDs which allow the engineer to open a brake valve at the rear of the train by remote control. All of this communication is on UHF (452.9375/457.9375 MHz).

All of this electronics allowed the railroads to eliminate cabooses. A caboose had four primary functions: carry a guage so the conductor or rear brakeman could monitor the air brake pressure, carry a valve so the conductor or rear brakeman could operate the train brakes from the rear of the train, carry a flag or light to warn oncoming trains, and carry the conductor and rear brakeman. The EOTD performs the first three functions and since they are being done remotely, you really don't need the conductor on the rear of the train.

I'm sure Jason will fill in any details I overlooked and he can give you a better idea how train air brakes work. He plays with real trains; I just watch them go by.

Also, there are some remote locomotive control systems that use UHF.

Distributed Power also uses UHF frequencies as well.

BNSF uses low band as well.

I have also seen coax piped down to the nose for 800/900MHz connections. So I'm assuming their are said antennas on the roof as well. Some engines have GPS antennas as well.

Tim K.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
aefd8152-afb4-3d3e.jpg

Distributed power radios.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

com501

So why is a power unit on the rear of the train being drug backwards cheaper than a FRED? Extra 'push' or better braking? Or is UP just too cheap to turn trains at the end of their runs?

AK9R

Super Moderator
I can't speak for UP, but Conrail used to run a local from Avon Yard in Indianapolis to Goodman Yard in Marion, Indiana, with a locomotive on each end. In order to get into Goodman Yard, the train had to make a long back-up move and the arrangement of the yard made it easier to perform switching moves with a locomotive on the end that wasn't the leader on the way to Marion.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I'm not sure what you mean by backwards, unless you literally are asking why the engine is facing backwards.

Using distributed power helps with power and helps with braking as air vents from both ends. It also helps with fuel conservation.

As far as an engine facing backward, it is always advantageous to have engines facing "butt to butt".

Many times when trains are put together there is no place to turn the power or the crew has to run one direction to get the train then take the train back the way they came. Even if this isn't the case, engines move forward just as well as they move backwards, so why spin one? I don't think you quite understand what is involved just to turn a 412,000lb engine 180 degrees.

Last edited:

cifn2

Feed Provider
I thought there were newer EOT's that had a battery as a backup, but primarily they relied on the air pressure to turn something to power them?

I'm not sure what you mean by backwards, unless you literally are asking why the engine is facing backwards.

Using distributed power helps with power and helps with braking as air vents from both ends. It also helps with fuel conservation.

As far as an engine facing backward, it is always advantageous to have engines facing "butt to butt".

Many times when trains are put together there is no place to turn the power or the crew has to run one direction to get the train then take the train back the way they came. Even if this isn't the case, engines move forward just as well as they move backwards, so why spin one? I don't think you quite understand what is involved just to turn a 412,000lb engine 180 degrees.

lol you mean they cant just whip a u turn? lol I have seen a few trains that have swerved to miss a deer and even one that blew a tire. If I knew how to post pix I would. I work for Hulcher Toledo ohio division. and have some crazy derailment pix

Status
Not open for further replies.