log your SW catches here:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Great (relatively speaking) conditions tonight. Both Voice of Greece on 9420 and Radio Nacional Amazonia on 11780 are sounding almost like locals. There are some evenings when VOG playing music will keep me camped on 9420.

18:13 EDT / 22:13 UTC

--
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We've had this discussion before - UTC is the general rule for just about every list and club to which I've ever belonged. The local time is not all that necessary

Carry on....Mike

GB46

Great (relatively speaking) conditions tonight. Both Voice of Greece on 9420 and Radio Nacional Amazonia on 11780 are sounding almost like locals. There are some evenings when VOG playing music will keep me camped on 9420.
I managed to pick them up here, too. RNA was quite strong between 0100 and 0200 UTC, sometimes reaching S9+. VOG's carrier was definitely in there as well, but it was way too weak to make out any audio. Other than that, it's been a pretty bad week for shortwave at my location. In the daytime there's nothing at all to listen to, and the same holds true later in the evening, from about 0300 to 0500 UTC (8 to 10 PM our time).

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
The local time is not all that necessary

I disagree - local time tells me whether it's a sunny afternoon, dusk or bogey dark - three different conditions and three different forms of propagation. It's no good me trying to hear a station at 0200UTC when it's your 2000local and my 1400local on 5985kHz.

GB46

Update:

GB46 said:
RNA was quite strong between 0100 and 0200 UTC, sometimes reaching S9+. VOG's carrier was definitely in there as well, but it was way too weak to make out any audio.

Today, however, at 0100 UTC (6:00 PM local) Radio Nacional Amazonia is even stronger, with only moderate fading and the speech perfectly clear. Although I can't understand Portuguese, at least I can enjoy their music. Years ago, if I remember correctly, they used to offer a service in English.

On a side note, check out this picture of their antenna farm:
https://comunicaebc.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/11.jpg?w=900
Wish I had a receiving antenna like that! :)

At the same time, the Voice of Greece is a bit stronger, too. Their carrier is fading rapidly between S3 and S5, but I can now hear their audio. Hopefully this will be a trend, so that it will eventually be feasible for me to listen to music from Greece. VOG, too, used to offer a rather brief English service consisting mainly of news.

Last edited:

GB46

Right now -- 19:18 UTC (12:18 PM local) -- I'm hearing Radio Feda on 11965 kHz broadcasting to the Middle East in Arabic, at least according to EiBi's summer schedule. I'm anxiously awaiting the new CSV database for the winter schedule; EiBi's last post was an update of the summer schedule on Oct. 24.

The signal is quite strong with rapid fading using my 23 ft. reel antenna indoors with the 909X, but I can still hear them on just the whip, albeit much weaker. That's 16055 km. (9976 mi.) over the polar route during daylight hours!

Incidentally, about the EiBi CSV database: When used with EiBiView an error is produced when clicking on one of the stations in the list. I can't remember which station that was, but it was the only line containing "ARQ" in the station name. I corrected the problem by deleting the corresponding line from the CSV file. If you run across that error, you can find that line in a plain-text editor, such as Notepad, by searching for ARQ.

GB46

The Firedrake jammer in China is coming in strong here this morning at 1755 UTC (10:55 am local) on 7415 kHz. The signal strength is approx. S9, with very little fading. Firedrake is not listed on this frequency in the EiBi summer schedule, but maybe it will be included in the winter schedule once it's completed.

ridgescan

Good old VOA coming in nicely this afternoon from Selebi-Phikwe Botswana. 15580kHz at over 10,000 miles. French. But doing basic English lessons. 1:125PM PST, 2125UTC.

majoco

Stirrer
Nice setup there, Ridgy. I was a bit concerned about the "Sony" tuner/amp masquerading as an R8600 until I watched the video and saw that you had used it as an amplifier and identified the input!
Good catch too, on the Wellbrook. Do you fine it much better than the wire?

ridgescan

Nice setup there, Ridgy. I was a bit concerned about the "Sony" tuner/amp masquerading as an R8600 until I watched the video and saw that you had used it as an amplifier and identified the input!
Good catch too, on the Wellbrook. Do you fine it much better than the wire?
Happy New Year Marty! In most instances especially in HF, I find the Wellbrook to seem more efficient if you will. Probably due to some directionality enabling nulling of noise and perhaps a bit better capture of some signals.
But far as overall reception they're about the same.

Boombox

The other morning (1600-1800 UTC or so, which is 8 to 10 a.m. local) the pipeline to Asia on the 41 meter band was open, and I heard several stations -- not sure if any of the services I heard was new, but still cool to hear.

Stations heard:
7355 Khz , BBC, Kranji, Singapore (Korean); 7465 khz , BBC, Kranji, Singapore (Dari); 7435 khz, China Radio International, China, (English) -- long talk about Chairman Mao and how he was idolized by Chinese at that time; 7400 khz , China Radio International, China (Swahili). I also may have heard the CRI broadcast to Myanmar in Burmese before the Swahili broadcast kicked in.

All were logged on my Panasonic RF-B45 and my 25 ft. indoor wire. Some of them came in on my Grundig G2 off the whip, but the Panasonic brought them in better. I used to hear BBC out of Kranji every morning. That hasn't been the case for a while. The Auroral zone apparently lifted enough, and ionospheric conditions allowed some decent prop for a change.

GB46

Radio Feda, Madagascar
Arabic music with announcements, also in Arabic
Freq.: 11965 kHz
Time: 19:25 UTC, (11:25 AM local)
Portable indoors using whip antenna.
A strong signal. There's lots of rapid fading, which is understandable, as they're nearly 10,000 miles away and their signal follows a path way north to Greenland, then goes west across the Arctic and then south through Western Canada.

majoco

Stirrer
Any path over either pole is usually tricky - I try to get the BBC from their South African relay without much success. Of course, you could be getting a signal via the "long path". I get Radio Espania very well early morning or late afternoon but I have no idea which route the signal takes! He's directly opposite to me, his transmitters are just west of Madrid, 19,900km/12,360m so that's about as far away as you can get

GB46

I can't get Spain at all here. In fact, anything from Europe is rare. I'm pretty much blocked to the east. so yes, there's a possibility that the signal from Madagascar reached me over the long path. It would still have been a polar path, but crossing Antarctica in this case, and reaching me from the southwest, which is the direction from which I generally get the strongest reception. The mornings are always my best listening hours, and I hear mostly Asian stations at that. If I'm lucky, I can hear RNZI on 15720 in the afternoon, but can't make out what they're saying. HF is dead here From roughly 7 PM 'til bedtime, except for some amateur digital activity.

Gerry

China Radio Int. on 7285 in English. Targeting Europe, must be coming right over the Atlantic to me here in CT. 2115 UTC, 1715 local.

pjxii

I was just listening to Sri Lanka BC, weak on 11905 kHz from 0210 until sign off around 0230 UTC (22 June) here in Florida, I always used to love the vocal music they play but local RFI was killing me so I haven't been trying for months. RNZI on 13840 was quite strong right afterwards, however. Used the AOR LA-320 and Sony CRF-1, I needed the Sony's excellent noise blanker and turning the loop away from noise source to enjoy them.

majoco

Stirrer
Gray Line working well yesterday afternoon on my Tecsun PL600 on just the whip antenna - I was out in the country - nice and quiet RF noise-wise except for an electric fence ticking away. Around 1630 local/0430UTC, Greece on 9420kHz, two guys getting excited about something, BBC from Oman 9450kHz with a man and lady talking politics, both faded out rapidly around 1700 local.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
One of my favorites and always strong is Wrmi voice of Miami out of Okeechobee FL. Play good music plus VOA.
9440 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.